News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need some help to know how it was from stock b body 71

Started by bobfist, June 23, 2013, 02:14:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobfist

Hi!

I have a 71 b body and i want to restore the engine as it was back in 71
The car are the 383 300hp engine with 4 speed

The question i have is did the 71 cars all have the electronic vacuum time relay on the distributor? (the big vacuum advanced clock)

Also what size of the carb did the 383 300hp engine has on plymouth 71? 600-650 or 750?

Thanks
www.bobfist.com
Muscle Car Restorations & Reproduction
Sweden

A383Wing

pretty sure it did not come with 750 carb, more likely 625ish if it was 4bbl engine originally.

not sure about the time delay question

Bryan

bobfist

Hi!

so the 383hp engine 71 could have come with the 625cfm?
www.bobfist.com
Sweden

71superbee

I have a 71 Super Bee 383 4-speed and the vacuum advance on my car did not have the big can...my friend has a 71 Road Runner 383 AUTOMATIC and his car does have the big can. (both cars have the original engines and are 383 HP engines...vin code N) The carbs on these cars, from what I understand, are 600cfm.

bobfist

Ah ok thank you, maybe the 4 speed cars didnt have them?
Also, the orange box, electronic ignition box, the 71 cars didnt come with them from factory? just the 340 and the 426 hemi?
Bec all pictures i find on the roadrunner 71 they all have it.

Also the OSAC emission in 71, did just the CA cars have that?
www.bobfist.com
Sweden

A383Wing

are you talking about the little green dist advance valve with 3 hoses on it? I think that was Ca. only

Bryan

71superbee

" the orange box" on the firewall is the electronic control unit for electonic ignition. It is common to replace the points and condenser distributor with an electronic ignition kit. Your car would have been built without electronic ignition.

bobfist

Thanks for all answers!

Yes the green box on the firewall with three hoses, it seems just to be on the Ca cars.
But the three nipple valve cover breather seams to be on all the cars 71 , with one of the lines routing to the breather cap to the gastank

I cant find if all the 71 Roadrunners had E.C.S, one line coming from the breather cap to the holley carburetor as well
www.bobfist.com
Sweden

Pete in NH

My 71 383 2BBL had the big vacuum advance/solenoid can on the distributor from the factory. The solenoid winding eventually opened up and stopped working. It didn't make any difference in the way the car ran. I eventually replaced the original distributor with a Mopar Performance Orange Box ECU conversion kit and the new distributor that came with the kit.

bobfist

Did you have this set up with the hoses from the breather cap?
Looking for a carburator 600cfm with that ecs nipple bed i think all of them had this 71

Also do you remember where the two cables from that vacuum solenoid where connected? Any more parts that i will be needed to have it to work i mean.

www.bobfist.com
Sweden

maxwellwedge

By '71 I believe all cars had the 3 nipple breather.

As far as the distributor - check the parts book for your engine....the "break-down" area by distributor will show the differences between 4 speed and auto. My guess is it would have the "big" advance can.

bobfist

Hi Thanks for the answers!

Yes it seems like that.

Now i just have to find the holley carburator with the ecs nipple, any suggestions  where to look?

Tony
www.bobfist.com
Sweden

71 SE3834V

Quote from: bobfist on June 24, 2013, 12:37:25 PM
Did you have this set up with the hoses from the breather cap?
Looking for a carburator 600cfm with that ecs nipple bed i think all of them had this 71

Also do you remember where the two cables from that vacuum solenoid where connected? Any more parts that i will be needed to have it to work i mean.

My 71 SE 383 4bbl Auto has the same, 3 hose breather and dist. If you're asking about the wires for the solenoid, 1 plugs into the harness near the primary + coil wire and the other goes to the carb by the idle screw.
I can get you any pics if you need any. Harness looks like this:
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

bobfist

Great info
But whats on the carb that the wire are connected to? Something that gives a singal?
These ecs carbs seems to be long gone and they was installed on all 71 maybe bad carburators?
www.bobfist.com
Sweden

fy469rtse

I would get one the aftermarket electronic distributors that has everything in the dizzy and no orange box , you will have to get say a msd blaster 2 coil, but you can paint that to look stock and have the drivability of electronic distributor and look stock , the carb would be 600 avs carter, spring loaded secondary butterfly, the 335 horse 383 had the slightly bigger 625 com avs, I'm sure you can even get the stock looking paint transfer for the coil

Pete in NH

My 71 383 still has the original 2BBL BBD carb. on it. There is a small switch/tab connection that is grounded when the throttle is at idle position, the wire from the distributor connects to that.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: bobfist on June 25, 2013, 04:04:01 AM
Great info
But whats on the carb that the wire are connected to? Something that gives a singal?
These ecs carbs seems to be long gone and they was installed on all 71 maybe bad carburators?

Probably the idle solenoid

71 SE3834V

Here's the best pic I have of the connection at the carb. I can email a larger pic if it's not clear when you zoom.
The idle screw is isolated from the carb with a plastic sleeve. The electric tab is isolated by a plastic piece but the spring contacts the tab. When the throttle is at idle it contacts the screw and completes the circuit which activates the soleniod and retards the timing.
That is my understanding of the system. As others have said the cars seem to run fine w/o it hooked up. Don't know what problem they were trying to solve w/the system. Lowering the idle speed to stop run on maybe?
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

bobfist

Hmm strange things they had, and on almost every car is gone...

Ill wait and see if i restore the dist and use it

Here is a carburator im looking at.

The problem is, what side shall the fuel inlet be

On the top right is a nipple, would that be the one i connect one of the hoses from the three nipple breather hose? ECS?

And on this pic the right side is the fuel inlet i guess, would that side be correct ?

www.bobfist.com
Sweden

A383Wing

yes, top left nipple is vent for bowl. Right side is fuel inlet, it points down about 45* or so

Bryan

bobfist

THank you!

so this carb would be the nearest original i can find atm
Did the fuel inlet come on that side original? Dosent matter that much just curios
www.bobfist.com
Sweden

bobfist

Hi!

Would this one work?

i cant see its a solenoid but something is it, like a door contact? work for me?

its a 4749-3 68-70 600cfm
close to 71 anyway, would it be to small for a stock 383 magnum
www.bobfist.com
Sweden

A383Wing

Stock AFB & AVS were around 600-625 CFM, I think that carb you have would be OK

bobfist

ok thank you!
What about the solenoid thing? just seems to be like a ground trigger
www.bobfist.com
Sweden

A383Wing

I don't see a solenoid on there....I see a wire, but I can't tell what it goes to