News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Now-Why in the HE__ hasn't Chrysler done this?

Started by GeneralLeeTESH, June 20, 2013, 08:57:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Now-Why in the HE__ hasn't Chrysler done this?

For
6 (16.2%)
Against
31 (83.8%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Voting closed: September 28, 2013, 08:57:06 AM

Daytona Guy

To me the wing is too blocky at the bottom and it is too tall. The nose is a mess and too busy. Just becuase you are a car builder does not mean you are a car designer. The big boy designers and engineers at Ma Mopar are in teams, with checks and ballences.

Dane

Brutalowner

I don't know.... Put it into production, sell ARCA on the acceptance (those guys are the blood and guts racers anyway) let the teams fine tune the aero like they already do to the current shapes. Actually organize a program for the Gen III Hemi and sell the brand/driver combo, NOT just the driver. 
Win on Sunday.....   I know, not realistic. But it worked up until 40 years ago, and the by product was some kick a## cars that we all get together on forums like this and still talk about, build and cherish today. JMHO.

69 Charger
68 Coronet R/T 440/727
57 300C 392 H word
76 W250 Crew 5.9Magnum 5spd
76 RC 440 4spd

tracpack440

1969 Charger  R/T SE 4 spd dana

A383Wing

Quote from: Daytona Guy on June 20, 2013, 09:57:32 PM
Just becuase you are a car builder does not mean you are a car designer. The big boy designers and engineers at Ma Mopar are in teams, with checks and ballences.

Dane

wasn't the original Daytona designed on a table napkin somewhere?

Bryan

Ghoste

hotrod98

If Dodge built 500 of these cars and had a hard time selling all of them because people thought they were ugly, then 40 years from now they would be worth a fortune and there would be a forum where people would talk about how great they are and some people would be trying to build clones of them.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Ghoste

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: hotrod98 on June 21, 2013, 02:01:37 PM
If Dodge built 500 of these cars and had a hard time selling all of them because people thought they were ugly, then 40 years from now they would be worth a fortune and there would be a forum where people would talk about how great they are and some people would be trying to build clones of them.

40 years from now they will be putting aftermarket anti-gravity kits in electric hover buggy's and I for one  won't be hear to see it. :smilielol:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

odcics2

Quote from: hotrod98 on June 21, 2013, 02:01:37 PM

BINGO !    :cheers:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Ghoste

On the other hand, maybe they really are ugly this time and if Dodge built 500 of them they would sell around 10 and forty five years form now people would be laughing at them still and saying it was by far the stupidest thing Dodge had ever done.

There is just know way to know for sure.

Mike DC

The mid-60s altered-wheelbase B-bodies have fans and value now.  IMHO that indicates there's no limit where the car becomes too ugly.

Ghoste

Ah but its still impossible to predict the tastes of the future.

held1823

QuoteThe mid-60s altered-wheelbase B-bodies have fans and value now.  IMHO that indicates there's no limit where the car becomes too ugly.

these are ugly?
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Ghoste

I'm sure they are to some.  How were they perceived in their day?

pettybird

they were the first funny cars, and people loved them.

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Ghoste

So are we largely in agreement then that only the wing cars were seen as ugly by the general buying public back in the day?

70moparman

Its not like Chrysler hasn't made worse before...  Dodge Neon, Dodge Omni, PT Cruisers, 4 door chargers, and let us not forget the K car...  Oh wait, lets try to forget that one actually...   :smilielol:

1974dodgecharger

when the daytons and superbirds first came out they were considered UGLY/RADICAL at the time also in fact some dealers couldnt even sell it and had it sitting on their showroom floor for 3 years to 4 years until finally someone purchased it or the owner of the dealership purchased it outright. 

Whats not hot at the time can be hot later on hence the wing cars

held1823

i'll agree that the plymouths were a different animal, but does someone have evidence that daytonas sat on dealer lots for an abnormal amount of time? i know that the dealership ours came from, Farthing Sales, in Rushville, Indiana, could have sold every daytona that they could gotten. Farthing was the definition of a tiny dealership, and Rushville is a small, off the beaten path town, far away from the nascar fan base at the time.

I think that the insurance companies played a huge role in superbird sales. a superbird was also not the "bargain" that the daytona package was. both of these factors, combined with there being four times as many superbirds to sell as there were daytonas, played more of a role in moving them off the lot, as did any public perception.

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Mike DC

Quotethese are ugly?

Yes.

Not uncool, but definitely ugly.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Ghoste on June 23, 2013, 02:08:02 AM
So are we largely in agreement then that only the wing cars were seen as ugly by the general buying public back in the day?

I would say yes, but Superbirds and Daytonas were built with a purpose; to win races. These altered Challengers are built with no purpose other than finding suckers to buy them.

Ghoste