News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Now-Why in the HE__ hasn't Chrysler done this?

Started by GeneralLeeTESH, June 20, 2013, 08:57:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Now-Why in the HE__ hasn't Chrysler done this?

For
6 (16.2%)
Against
31 (83.8%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Voting closed: September 28, 2013, 08:57:06 AM

JB400

Because they wouldn't sell many.  I wouldn't mind though.  It's a Challenger.    Change the nose back and lose the wing.

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

GeneralLeeTESH

I truly believe these cars-set up properly for racing could ONCE Again "Open-Up a Can of Whoop-Ass" at NASCAR (NATIONAL Stock Car)...leave all other foreigners out of the competition of course.  :2thumbs:
The TESH

pettybird

Quote from: GeneralLeeTESH on June 20, 2013, 09:08:09 AM
I truly believe these cars-set up properly for racing could ONCE Again "Open-Up a Can of Whoop-Ass" at NASCAR (NATIONAL Stock Car)...leave all other foreigners out of the competition of course.  :2thumbs:

That's because you and djcarguy live in an alternate reality where silly things somehow make sense. 

Lighthorseman

WHY must these abominations keep getting posted up?   :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

Aero426

Why does it say Duktona on your car?   Isn't it Duketona? 

Indygenerallee

Duk,Duk.... GOOSE!!! (sorry could resist the urge)  :icon_smile_big:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on June 20, 2013, 08:57:55 AM
Because they wouldn't sell many.  I wouldn't mind though.  It's a Challenger.    Change the nose back and lose the wing.

Just that, they wouldn't sell many and Chrysler got a financial spanking the last time they tried that one off situation.   Like Stu said, people think they are ugly and they thought they were the last time too.  I personally don't think they would have sold many  426 Hemis if they didn't have to say it was a street engine
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

GOTWING

they could have at least done this to the FOUR DOOR Charger.

held1823

because it makes people want to...
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Daytona R/T SE

areibel

And the big reason- NASCAR wouldn't allow it.  Their new mentality is all the bodies will be the same, engines will be based on the manufacturer's (with matching decals on the body) and the most popular drivers will be given enough leeway to win so they have some chance of holding on to what fan base NASCAR has remaining.

I think they should go the other way- Leave the Sprint cup as is for the big money guys and let them continue to shrink until they reach the same viewership as F1 or Indy racing.  Who cares?  But make a new class for any previous US produced car.  Use any past body style (reproductions allowed as long as it's stock), integrate all the new safety features as possible.  Establish a minimum weight, Limit the rear gear, all motors will be 6 liter or less (destroked OK) and all will run the same sized carb.  That would let more real racing and get some interest back.  Imagine a race with a Hudson Hornet vs. Superbird vs. Olds Cutlass, I think it would be cool!

A383Wing

moparstuart

Quote from: areibel on June 20, 2013, 12:32:21 PM
And the big reason- NASCAR wouldn't allow it.  Their new mentality is all the bodies will be the same, engines will be based on the manufacturer's (with matching decals on the body) and the most popular drivers will be given enough leeway to win so they have some chance of holding on to what fan base NASCAR has remaining.

I think they should go the other way- Leave the Sprint cup as is for the big money guys and let them continue to shrink until they reach the same viewership as F1 or Indy racing.  Who cares?  But make a new class for any previous US produced car.  Use any past body style (reproductions allowed as long as it's stock), integrate all the new safety features as possible.  Establish a minimum weight, Limit the rear gear, all motors will be 6 liter or less (destroked OK) and all will run the same sized carb.  That would let more real racing and get some interest back.  Imagine a race with a Hudson Hornet vs. Superbird vs. Olds Cutlass, I think it would be cool!
Never happen but a cool idea 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

A383Wing

I heard or read some time ago that if a Daytona body was put on today's Nascar engine & frame, average speed around Daytona or Talladega would be 235+ per lap

Bryan

BB1

Delete my profile

68X426

Quote from: A383Wing on June 20, 2013, 12:38:16 PM
Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on June 20, 2013, 12:16:25 PM
Because it looks like shit.

yup

yup x2.

Because that is the ugliest front grill in history.

Well not as ugly as this grill but still too ugly.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Aero426

Quote from: A383Wing on June 20, 2013, 12:48:38 PM
I heard or read some time ago that if a Daytona body was put on today's Nascar engine & frame, average speed around Daytona or Talladega would be 235+ per lap

Bryan

The current cars if unrestricted would also run very quick.   The Daytona is a very balanced race car, but it is quite large with a more vertical windshield and has a lot of air to push.    

You got more HP now,  better tire technology,  way better shock technology, less weight to push.  

Think of it this way.   The current cars are running 40 mph (!) faster qualifying speeds at Michigan compared to when my car got the pole there (with no plate) in 1972.    That to me is amazing.

GeneralLeeTESH

STU-
You have enough cars in the Kansas Wrecking Yard you own to START a new type of REAL U.S. manufacturer car racing don't you ?
We could call it "STUCAR"   !!!       :icon_smile_big:     :scratchchin:
The TESH

Golden-Arm

because unlike anyone that thinks these look good, or this would be a good idea, they're not complete and total morons? :2thumbs:

wingcar

Actually, if they had shaped the leading edge of the nose more like the actual Daytona and Superbird it might (a big might)have looked better.   With that point and the "smiling" grille..it just looks dumb.   A painted grille would go a long way in making it look somewhat better.   Saw one on display at last year's SEMA show and it don't look to bad.....the color makes all the difference. 

In an interview on NASCAR Radio, Charlie Glotzbach said he was turning 240+ while testing the wingcars.  When asked about their "advantage" on the track....said they were just a little better....mainly they handled better.   Obviously the development cars were a little bit "more" special then their racing brothers.   These Challenger wingcars are "special" as well....but perhaps not in a positive way.....

Chrysler wouldn't be able to sell the winged Challengers and NASCAR wouldn't let them on the track (they have been there done that...never again)
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Aero426 on June 20, 2013, 01:18:37 PM
Quote from: A383Wing on June 20, 2013, 12:48:38 PM

Bryan

The current cars if unrestricted would also run very quick.   The Daytona is a very balanced race car, but it is quite large with a more vertical windshield and has a lot of air to push.    

You got more HP now,  better tire technology,  way better shock technology, less weight to push.  

Think of it this way.   The current cars are running 40 mph (!) faster qualifying speeds at Michigan compared to when my car got the pole there (with no plate) in 1972.    That to me is amazing.

Although technology advancement has given the "new" NASCAR cars amazing performance,  a current Cup chassis still averages  a .40 CD, the Toyota Camary and the LX Charger platform are the most slippery at .33, yet the 69 Daytona has .29 slippery silhouette, so imagine that chassis with current technology?

Mike DC

The bottom line is that NASCAR feels that 200mph is fast enough.  If the cars can do 230mph right now then NASCAR will restrict away 30mph.  If the cars start doing 250 next year then NASCAR will restrict away 50mph.  

The '69 Daytona was an awesome patch-job to improve what was basically a terrible platform (body shape).  They did a great job balancing their downforce & drag reductions and making major gains with just a few targeted changes.  

The wing car designers also stumbled into some major stability benefits from the wing stabilizers purely by accident.  IMHO we probably underestimate how much that did to make the cars win races.  It made the cars not only faster but also more friendly to being pushed to their limits than stock.  That is very relevant to winning races when you are driving the fastest cars in motorsports and they suddenly gain a bunch more speed & cornering grip overnight.  

The current cars would benefit from that kind of special customizing treatment too.  But they would not improve as much as the Daytonas did.  In terms of aero gains, the current cars already have the low-hanging fruit picked off by the factory bodystyle designers way back at the clay model stage.  

Ghoste

They look pretty good for cartoon cars but I'll tell you what, I bet they can't beat that Lightning McQueen, that old boy is faaaaaast.