News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Gas tank price differences...

Started by 1974dodgecharger, June 17, 2013, 08:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baldwinvette77

in my opinion its a hunk of plated steel that holds fuel  :shruggy: go with whatever, but maybe broaden your search, in general look up reviews of tank manufacturers  :scratchchin:

1974dodgecharger

went ahead and bought it I did a search already like you said its metal and holds it, but some folks wanted to pay 250 bucks for the same thing said, 'more expensive is better' even if its the same thing  :shruggy:

A383Wing

on our 66 Chargers, there are many tanks to chose from out there, but the best fit & quality are the ones that come from Canada

Bryan

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: A383Wing on June 17, 2013, 11:30:11 PM
on our 66 Chargers, there are many tanks to chose from out there, but the best fit & quality are the ones that come from Canada

Bryan

thanks bryan yeah I emailed the seller about it and it saids its from canada.   :2thumbs:

Old Moparz

The company called Quanta advertises in all the car magazines & has been around for a long time. I remember seeing ads by them 20 years ago or more. I ordered a tank from them, one made in Canada, & picked it up at Carlisle last year for my Satellite. I didn't install it yet but I took it out of the box to inspect it & it looks like a nice piece. If I recall, it was about $175 or so. I had to buy a sending unit separately & forget what that cost.   :shruggy:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

maxwellwedge

Quote from: A383Wing on June 17, 2013, 11:30:11 PM

Bryan

Yes - Spectra is the manufacturer....that's all I ever use.

ACUDANUT

Yep, Spectra. They are made in Canada.....aka USA.

chargerboy69

I have bought the cheep one for a couple different Chargers. . . work just fine. I am betting they are all about the same, just different mark-ups.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

A383Wing

Quote from: chargerboy69 on June 18, 2013, 03:04:39 PM
I have bought the cheep one for a couple different Chargers. . . work just fine. I am betting they are all about the same, just different mark-ups.

no, they are not the same

bakerhillpins

Quote from: A383Wing on June 18, 2013, 04:43:15 PM

Care to elaborate?  :scratchchin:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

A383Wing

mainly fitment issues, they just don't fit up into car like OE ones...and some have the inlet for the tube a bit off....at least on the 66-67 tanks...

on 68-70 tanks...the dimensions are off on some suppliers, I personally have not had to buy a second Gen tank, but a lot of people on the 70 site have...and have had issues. The Spectra tanks are best for 66-67

Bryan

bakerhillpins

Quote from: A383Wing on June 18, 2013, 05:37:50 PM
mainly fitment issues, they just don't fit up into car like OE ones...and some have the inlet for the tube a bit off....at least on the 66-67 tanks...

on 68-70 tanks...the dimensions are off on some suppliers, I personally have not had to buy a second Gen tank, but a lot of people on the 70 site have...and have had issues. The Spectra tanks are best for 66-67

Bryan

:cheers:

Bryan (also)  :icon_smile_big:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

chargerboy69

Quote from: A383Wing on June 18, 2013, 04:43:15 PM

Well I guess I have been lucky.  I have bought two cheap tanks off E-Bay without problems.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: A383Wing on June 18, 2013, 05:37:50 PM

Bryan

Arent the 70 tanks diff, than the 68 and 69 tanks?  Everytime I did a search folks only said this tanks works for 68 and 69 tanks, but not 70 tanks for some reason.

JB400

70's have that emissions line on them.

Troy

The more expensive tanks are also coated if I remember right. Look at them side by side and you'll see that one is a dull gray. That's the lower quality one. There are at least 2 manufactures - maybe more. Prices are all over the place though so sometimes you can get the better brand for not much more then the lesser one sells for.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

bill440rt

The only ones that have extra emissions lines on them are CA sold cars, possibly other west coaster cars as well.

2 of my tanks came from Quanta, they have a nice finish to them and fit fine.
I don't think I've seen the Spectra tanks side by side to compare so I can't comment on them, but from what other people have posted I don't think you can go wrong with either of them.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

1974dodgecharger

Im gonna por 15 them on the outside so as long as the fit works ill be happy

Quote from: bill440rt on June 19, 2013, 09:17:32 PM
The only ones that have extra emissions lines on them are CA sold cars, possibly other west coaster cars as well.

2 of my tanks came from Quanta, they have a nice finish to them and fit fine.
I don't think I've seen the Spectra tanks side by side to compare so I can't comment on them, but from what other people have posted I don't think you can go wrong with either of them.

BrianShaughnessy

I got the $110 tank in the basement for Sinnamon.     I have a 9 year old Quanta tank in Black Betty.     The Quanta was shiney and the cheap on is not - the cheap one looks more like a zinc wash finish me from what I recall.   Doesn't really matter to me....   some people may paint their tanks black anyway.   Or use Eastwood tank coating. 

I painted the Quanta with SEM rock chip clear years ago.  Looks good still.     Plan on doing the same with the cheap one.   :Twocents:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.