News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New voltage regulator. Retain capacitor?

Started by K9COP, June 06, 2013, 01:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

K9COP

Guys, quick question. I bought the 'plug and play ' voltage regulator in the hope of curing my fuel gauge etc. While looking for a new circuit board for my cluster on Ebay, I found this cluster for sale:

It has the regulator AND the capacitor still fitted. Is that correct? My car only had the capacitor (? cylinder shaped thing with one wire) before I bought the regulator. Now it just has the regulator. Car's not back together yet.

Thanks,

CS
I'd rather push a Charger than drive a Mustang.. which is lucky..

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)
'97 Jag U Are XK8 (For Sale)
'68 Charger 318 (for sale)
'74ish Charger 400Magnum (sold)
'89 Nissan Skyline GTR (sold)
'92 Jeep Cherokee 9" lift (sold)
95 Crown Victoria Police K9 unit work car! (in the great impound lot in the sky..)

resq302

If you have a one of the solid state voltage limiters, you can do away with the condenser on the back of the instrument cluster. 
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

K9COP

That's what I figured, thank you. Was confused why the one on Ebay had both...

CS

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)
95 Crown Victoria Police K9 unit work car! (in the great impound lot in the sky..)

resq302

You can leave it there but since the new unit is a solid state one, there is really no need for the capacitor to supress any electrical noise.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

K9COP

Thanks guys. I already found the circuit board listed on Ebay here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Rallye-Dash-Cluster-CIRCUIT-BOARD-68-70-B-Body-NEW-PDD-028-/370797060147?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1969|Make%3ADodge|Model%3ACharger&hash=item56553a2033&vxp=mtr

But judging from the part number, it's the same part anyways.

Not sure I love how loose the solid state regulator fits. Solder it? Or did the guy with the ebay cluster leave the condenser (not capacitor, sorry...) on there to jam the regulator in tighter?

CS

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)

jlatessa

You can tighten the females from the back with a small needlenose to get more tension
then solder them in front to the board to get the best connection.

Joe

P. S. And the five posts too as they're only mechanically clinched.

K9COP

Thanks Joe. I tightened up the females for the voltage regulator from the back of the board, but please read carefully my thread on almost torching the car having followed the advice to solder the back of the pins. A cautionary tale for sure. I now have TWO completely toasted wires in the loom to replace....., but still have the car to replace them on, so I was lucky.

CS

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)

jlatessa

No doubt Cayman, too much of a good thing is not always better.

It's important to stop as soon as you see the solder wick in.

After you had your problems the first thing I did was to check my job,
luckily the panel was still sitting on my workbench and all was well.

Good warning though!!

Thanks,  Joe

K9COP

You're welcome brother. Another car saved, that's why we're here.  :2thumbs:

Gotta change that user name... stupid f'ing place..... :flame:

CS

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)

nickm

Hey Guys, I'm currently rebuilding my cluster, and had a view questions regarding K9COP's photo.

1) What are the three black "plugs" on the back side of the circuit board in that photo?  Where to buy?

2)  What is the off white bracket connected to the light switch?  Is this for the vacuum lines to the head lamps?  Where to buy?

Thanks

K9COP

Hey mate, welcome to the forum. The three black plugs, IIRC, are just bulb holders. I suspect they're a generic dodge part but probably other cars that use those bulbs use them. They're just a 'push and twist' bayonet fit bulb holder.

If you mean the off-white bracket with the three holes in, then yes, that's the vacuum distributor for the headlamp doors on '68 or '69 Chargers. Where to buy?
It's integral with the headlight switch. Any of the usual suspects sell them. Like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-68-69-Charger-Daytona-Headlight-Vacuum-Switch-NEW-/360417061952?hash=item53ea87ec40&vxp=mtr

Never seen just the vacuum part before, or this full switch:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-1968-69-Charger-1969-Daytona-1970-Superbird-Headlight-Switch-/400928490774?fits=Year%3A1969|Make%3ADodge|Model%3ACharger&hash=item5d59334516&vxp=mtr

May as well buy the whole thing..... :yesnod:

K9

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)

nickm

Hey Guys,

Thanks again for all the help; this forum has been a great resource  :2thumbs:

My local Dodge dealer (North County SD) told me they cannot lookup part numbers for a '69.  Does anyone know the part number for the "bayonet fit bulb holder"?

Thanks!

-  Nick

K9COP

Quote from: nickm on June 11, 2015, 01:57:15 PM

Hey Guys,

Thanks again for all the help; this forum has been a great resource  :2thumbs:

My local Dodge dealer (North County SD) told me they cannot lookup part numbers for a '69.  Does anyone know the part number for the "bayonet fit bulb holder"?

Thanks!

-  Nick

Here you go bud:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/131530740161?nav=SEARCH

K9

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)

69dc

Along this same line of conversation, I am trying to make my fuel gauge work. If I ground the pin on the gauge that the tank ground connects to I get a full tank reading so I know the gauge is good and it's getting 5 volts from the limiter. Next I went to the tank and pulled the sender wire and grounded it and got nothing at the gauge. That tells me there is a problem in the wire between the tank and the gauge. Next I pulled the kick panel off and pulled the connector apart and grounded the side going to the gauge and got a full tank reading. So I put my ohm meter on the wire at the tank and at the connector and get a .5 resistance reading which is only .1 more than a direct connection of the ohm probes. Is that enough to indicate a problem in that wire? 

K9COP

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)

69dc

Just ran a ground wire from the battery to the tank end of the gauge wire and I got a full tank reading. That tells me that the brand new sending unit in the brand new tank with 10 gallons of brand new gas has to come out. :eek2:

K9COP

Do a few burnouts, put the front wheels on ramps, you'll be fine.... :2thumbs: probably....

K9

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)

69dc

Does anyone know if you can pull the sender out without dropping the tank? It doesn't look like there's enough room.

Charger-Bodie

Jack up the body or let the rear axle hang and it helps a lot. Pretty much the only way to make it happen with a dana60 rear. Not near as bad with an 8 3/4.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Dino

Easier with an 8 3/4 but yes do yourself a favor and put stands under the frame and lower the axle.  Soooo much easier.   :2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

69dc

Thanks for the tip. Lowered the axle and pulled the sender out. Now for the puzzle. I bench tested the sender and I get 94 ohm when the float is in the empty position and 12.4 when it is full. So I attached a ground wire to the sender directly from the negative battery cable and reconnected the sender wire to the sender and I get nothing at the gauge. But if I ground the sender wire at the tank end the gauge reads full. What am I missing here?

K9COP

"Thanks for the tip. Lowered the axle and pulled the sender out. Now for the puzzle. I bench tested the sender and I get 94 ohm when the float is in the empty position and 12.4 when it is full. So I attached a ground wire to the sender directly from the negative battery cable and reconnected the sender wire to the sender and I get nothing at the gauge. But if I ground the sender wire at the tank end the gauge reads full. What am I missing here?"

I'm not trying to be a d*ck (sometimes it just comes naturally to us cops) but the battery was connected at the time, right? 'cos that's not how it reads...

K9

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)

69dc

Yes both battery cables were connected at the time I tested the sender. I was a cop too so dick away all you want, I can take it.