News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What are these for?

Started by pullrock, June 04, 2013, 10:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pullrock

Can anyone tell me what goes in these 2 holes?  I always thought someone who owned the Charger before me made the holes??  But i notices there was something attached there on another charger at a car show this weekend.  any ideas? 

Thanks,

Eric

JB400

That is where the lever bolts to, to activate the hood latch on a 69.

pullrock

JB400

Either the 68 grille supports are drilled for the 69 latch lever or you have a 69 grille support.  I don't have a 68 to know for sure.

Here is a related thread  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=95759.0

bull

I doubt that because both of my 68 grills have those two holes in the same locations, and I'm 95% sure both of them are 68 frames.

36 Dodge Brothers

Eric,

My 68 has the same holes. Since the car has been in our family since 71 I am confident that this is factory made. Did you take a pic?

Marco
Regards,
Marco
68 Charger R/T
36 Dodge D2

Fred

Mine has them too.. and they've never been used for anything. I believe that's the way they came.
I'm thinking though that they might be there for mounting a bracket for a hood release cable.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Cooter

Stroker nailed it. Used on the '69 Latch release assy.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

pullrock

Interesting that my car has never been wrecked and I am assuming that these are factory holes for my 68.  The Charger I saw at the car show was a 68 that had something attached in this locations.  Is it possible that this was an option in 68 as well as 69? 

Marco,

No I didn't take a pic of the one charger from the car show...  Wish i did now  :brickwall:

Thanks,

Eric

pullrock

I have found these two pictures of 68 Chargers currently for sale on Ebay with the same two holes.  but both cars do not have anything attached to them.

Brock Lee

The holes exist on 1968's and are used for the 69 release handle. It is a mystery why they tooled up for them in 1968. Either they made a 1969 design in 68 and scrapped it before production, or the holes are part of the production process that were integrated into the 69 release design.

pullrock

Sounds like I am not missing any parts or have two holes to fill when I restore the my old charger.

Thanks,

Eric

Silver R/T

I bought a grille years ago off of ebay. It had those holes and guy mounted a vacuum canister there. I removed it and welded/filled holes for clean look.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

bull

It seems odd to me that Chrysler would go through the work of drilling (or maybe punching) these holes in their dash frames a year prior to using them for anything. Maybe there were plans in place to do a latch release in 68 and it fell through after they made all the frames.

twodko

Those holes are for a thin rum flask. Said flask was an OEM safety option for cold weather owners.  :icon_smile_big:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Fred

Only, after they drank it, they kept throwing the flasks away and in the end no one knew what the holes were for anymore.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

twodko

Ya see there guys.......while not widely known there are "Keepers of the Flask" guardians the world over.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!