News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

383 to 440 exhaust question.

Started by GordonGriggs, May 26, 2013, 08:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GordonGriggs

I have a 383 now in my 69 Charger and plan on putting in a 440. I have stock exhaust, and stock exhaust manifolds. Will the exhaust hook up without any modifications? The reason I ask is 440's are bigger than 383's.

A383Wing

do you plan on using the same exhaust manifolds? If yes, then it should be a bolt in job. Understand that 440 is taller than 383, so head pipes will have to go a little higher to bolt to manifolds.

Bryan

GordonGriggs

Thanks! I have enough head pipe clearance on passenger side. But the driver's side head pipe is only about 1/2 inch away from the clutch pedal z bar. I wonder if anyone makes a really think gasket that would fit between head pipe and exhast manifold.

A383Wing

A thick gasket would blow out....you could dent the head pipe a little, or just cut the pipe and weld an extension in.

Bryan

oldcarnut

Do you have a welded H pipe.  You may have to cut it to get it it to spread right because of the height and width difference of the heads.  I had to on mine anyways as I had a 440 pipe going onto a 383.

bull

When I ordered an Accurate Exhaust setup for my 383 there was a communication issue between myself and the shop and I ended up with a 440 setup. There were other unrelated problems involved later but I was told that rather than trade the H-pipe for one that fit a 383 I'd could jut squeeze the exhaust pipes together 1-3 inches. That part worked.

GordonGriggs

I totally forgot about the H pipe. Mine is not welded, its just clamped.

ACUDANUT

Are H-pipes really needed ? I have never used them  :scratchchin:

GordonGriggs

The car came with a nice exhaust with H pipes. I would not spend the money on them. I know the add to performance but they also make it harder to work on things underneath the car.

Cooter

All 90 Degree "V" engines benefit from "Balance" pipes. Commonly referred to as "H" pipes. Lately, referred to as "X" pipes. More HP and Torque.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

resq302

All I know is that H pipe was a major pain to remove in one piece from our GTX and it was the original factory one.  The individual front pipes would have been a LOT easier to remove from my 383. 
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto