News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Starting a car after 30+ years. Anything needed, beyond the obvious?

Started by XS29L9Bxxxxxx, May 22, 2013, 03:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Thinking about this, aside from dropping the fuel tank and pumping some fuel through the lines (then changing the fuel filter afterwards), what else might you do?

Fresh plugs?
Carb is fresh...

Anything else?

Thanks for your feedback! If you've done this before, I'd like to hear what you encountered  :2thumbs:

Also, what is the best way to "clean" a gas tank?  :popcrn:

skip68

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

1carcrazyguy

See if you can turn the motor over by hand first.   Then pull the plugs and use a spray lube in each cylinder.  Turn the motor over a few times with a socket on the crank pulley.  Pull coil wire so that you can run the motor over with the starter a few times so you can listen to it as it is turning over without starting.  Put plugs back in and put coil wire back on and see if it fires. Don't leave it running very long and change to fresh oil after using a spray lube in the the cylinders.

skip68

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

ACUDANUT

Tell us the story on the car. You know..The type of car, where is was stored...We want s pic's.

moparstuart

brakes you will most likely have to change out most of the brakes  , wheel cylinders for sure and soft lines maybe had line and  master too  . 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

skip68

probably need to leave the tranny in neutral while running it for a bit so it pumps tranny fluid through the tranny. 

Cooter

All of the above is dead nuts on. In addition, I've fired up 1958 Plymouth's that have been sitting. First thing I like to do is change ALL fluids regardless. Especially engine oil. Be prepared for the carb to need a rebuild before you fire it up. (Don;t want any fires).
New Fuel pump.

Best way to "clean" a Fuel tank? Replace it. It's cheaper in the long run and saves on time. I rec. a new sender unit as well.
Blow out fuel lines under car to pump.

Pull Bulkhead conn. and CLEAN WELL. Check other wiring for rats knawing on it.

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

ws23rt

All of the above I agree with. I would add to be patient. I know the need to hear it bark is strong but if you are in too big a hurry you may regret it.

Daytona R/T SE

And, I'll add:

Jack the rear end up and get the back tires off the ground, placing the rear axle on jack stands or

blocks.

Just because it looks like it's in neutral or park, doesn't mean it is.

Don't ask me how I know. ::)

This will also guard against the hilarity that ensues when you find out too late that someone has

bypassed the neutral safety switch :Twocents:

shorty442

Ditto to the above lists and advice, plus

I personally recommend having a fire extinguisher on hand due to backfires setting off crap in the hood insulation, seed husks in and on the intake manifold, old deteriorated fuel lines, stuck floats, ad infinitum, ad nauseum, and etc.

Good luck in your adventure!   :popcrn:

NHCharger

I would remove the plugs and squirt some penetrating oil in all the cylinders and let sit over night before attempting to crank the engine.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Drache

Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

ws23rt

Starting fluid?  It has value but risks.  If all is ready to run (from above) maybe ok to help find out what is next to look at. I have used acetylene (without O2!!!) to start an old rototiller (please this is not a good idea I am not recommending this.) ( I did it away from other trouble)and it works as long as the crank turns. But It does not help me with why it won't work on gas. The value I see is to eliminate fuel related issues. :flame:

Drache

Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

ws23rt

Todd Wilson

Quote from: moparstuart on May 22, 2013, 04:39:57 PM
brakes you will most likely have to change out most of the brakes  , wheel cylinders for sure and soft lines maybe had line and  master too  . 

YUP!  And tires!

Todd

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: ACUDANUT on May 22, 2013, 04:09:43 PM
Tell us the story on the car. You know..The type of car, where is was stored...We want s pic's.

1969 Dodge Charger R/T, stored indoors and dry, no pics - file name rejected due to size

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: Cooter on May 22, 2013, 04:53:58 PM
All of the above is dead nuts on. In addition, I've fired up 1958 Plymouth's that have been sitting. First thing I like to do is change ALL fluids regardless. Especially engine oil. Be prepared for the carb to need a rebuild before you fire it up. (Don;t want any fires).
New Fuel pump.

Best way to "clean" a Fuel tank? Replace it. It's cheaper in the long run and saves on time. I rec. a new sender unit as well.
Blow out fuel lines under car to pump.

Pull Bulkhead conn. and CLEAN WELL. Check other wiring for rats knawing on it.

Reason I was thinking of saving the original tank, was due to the factory undercoating on the tank, straps, etc.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: moparstuart on May 22, 2013, 04:39:57 PM

I was thinking all this, as brakes are really soft.  :scratchchin: The tires are good for keeping the car off the ground, only  :Twocents:

ACUDANUT

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on May 23, 2013, 09:16:52 AM

1969 Dodge Charger R/T, stored indoors and dry, no pics - file name rejected due to size

Sounds like a lost treasure is about to surface.  :2thumbs: Why 30 years of sitting ?

hemi68charger

I agree with most.. The important thing about turning over by hand initially and then squirting the cylinders with lubricant is avoiding the breakage of the ring lands of the pistons... I did this on my very first '70 Charger R/T back in the day.... I ended up breaking a couple of piston lands.. Even though they didn't go any where, I ended up with LOTS of blow-by...
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: ACUDANUT on May 23, 2013, 12:58:45 PM
Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on May 23, 2013, 09:16:52 AM

Sounds like a lost treasure is about to surface.  :2thumbs: Why 30 years of sitting ?

Owner died. He had parked the car shortly before passing. Widow sat on the car for decades.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: hemi68charger on May 23, 2013, 01:43:00 PM
I agree with most.. The important thing about turning over by hand initially and then squirting the cylinders with lubricant is avoiding the breakage of the ring lands of the pistons... I did this on my very first '70 Charger R/T back in the day.... I ended up breaking a couple of piston lands.. Even though they didn't go any where, I ended up with LOTS of blow-by...

Ouch!  :'(

moparstuart

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on May 23, 2013, 01:59:56 PM
Quote from: hemi68charger on May 23, 2013, 01:43:00 PM

Ouch!  :'(
tranny fluid  or mystery oil either one let it set down in there for a few days and it will break loose fine 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE