News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

72 charger converting from power to manual steering advise

Started by sgt72charger, May 15, 2013, 08:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgt72charger

hello everyone,

you may ask why i want to convert well there are several reasons one being i would rather have a clean engine bay with less hoses. also in 6'4" and 260 pounds muscling a steering wheel on a car that gets driven once a month is not a concern haha.

any ways besides swaping out the b body power for a manual is there any differences any one knows of? the inner and outer control arms are same i belive as with as the pivot arm?

im in the midle of the restortion and after this i can start rebuilding everything this was the last item still attached to the car/ k member
Sgt Burgos K.J.  USMC
/Oo ___A___ oO\
|=_/________\=|

Hard Charger

firm feel brand manuel steering box is the way to go.

sgt72charger

yeah being able to turn the wheel side to side and not having the car move at all is fun :eyes:
so are you saying the manual sterring box is the only thing ill need
Sgt Burgos K.J.  USMC
/Oo ___A___ oO\
|=_/________\=|

Hard Charger

firm feel makes several levels of manual steering boxes (and other parts)

i am told it gives you better driving feedback during steering.

i just put in power steering myself, i have been accumulating the parts for years. i would have gone with firm feel otherwise.

. i'm a bigger guy than you and i hated the manual steering (factory anyway).

you should not need to change control arms. you will probably change your pitman arm thought. firm feel makes a good one i am told that goes with there box.

sgt72charger

trying to find a place to buy the manual steering box any suggestions ?
Sgt Burgos K.J.  USMC
/Oo ___A___ oO\
|=_/________\=|

A383Wing

are "A" body manual boxes the same? If so, I got a couple

Bryan

elacruze

1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

A383Wing

sgt72charger

not sure if the A body is the same

yikes !!!! 600.00 bucks!!!!
Sgt Burgos K.J.  USMC
/Oo ___A___ oO\
|=_/________\=|

sgt72charger

so i was told i need a an adapter to convert at the end of the column. looking for a straight answer
Sgt Burgos K.J.  USMC
/Oo ___A___ oO\
|=_/________\=|

billfury

Your going to pay around $160 and upfrom places like summit,Mancini racing,jegs.If you search google you might find it on ebay or even Craigslist for cheaper.Good luck.

sgt72charger

hey bill its ken hahaha ill buy your manual rack off you
Sgt Burgos K.J.  USMC
/Oo ___A___ oO\
|=_/________\=|

billfury

I thought that was you, just wasn't 100%.I have all your parts waiting for you when your ready.