News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Metal z Brackets for Daytona clone..What are my options?

Started by Daytona313, May 12, 2013, 09:52:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona313

I currently have all fiberglass parts and am trying to put them together but I'm not confident with the fiberglass z brackets and headlight pivots. Is there any metal ones out there that will work with a fiberglass nose? I've heard of dayclona but all the web links are expired. Any help would be appreciated.

Lighthorseman

I think there was a thread where someone (RandR?) strengthened fibreglass Z-braces with metal strapping or some such.  Looked like a good idea - I'll most likely do the same with my fibreglass braces.

Daytona R/T SE

I made my own steel "Z" brackets using my fiberglass ones as a pattern.

I also made my own steel pivot brackets.

I bought my steel headlight buckets from a "person" up north who shall remain nameless.

Waited forever, (seven months) just to find out that they were junk.

Out of time,

I had to cut them apart and completely remake them.

I still wish I'd saved the time, lots of money and aggravation and made the buckets myself.

But, sometimes you get sucked in by a big ad, a fancy brochure and a line of bullshit.

I've not yet done the final assembly on my car and it's a good possibility the headlight buckets I

bought from said "person" will wind up in the scrap pile.

If you can't make your own steel parts,

I'd recommend a guy named Rick Fairless in southern Illinois.

Good Guy.

Very Helpful.

Nice parts.

I wish I'd met him BEFORE I had to make my own stuff.

Indygenerallee

Yep, I used the fiberglass ones as templates and made steel Z braces.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

6PakBee

A383Wing

I have all the 'glass stuff on the nose of my car since the mid 90's...while the parts were not the best made, I had to do a lot of "massaging" of the parts to get everything lined up and working correctly...at the time, the parts I got were about the only ones available...I would not do it again with his parts

Bryan

winghawg

i did the same thing made steel ones from fiberglass ones.also making a steel nose using fiberglass one for a templete. it just takes time

Lighthorseman

Hmmmm.   :scratchchin:  Did anyone cover making their own in a thread? 

nascarxx29

Quote from: Lighthorseman on May 12, 2013, 10:14:33 AM
I think there was a thread where someone (RandR?) strengthened fibreglass Z-braces with metal strapping or some such.  Looked like a good idea - I'll most likely do the same with my fibreglass braces.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,73186.0.html
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

hotrod98

Quote from: Lighthorseman on May 13, 2013, 12:04:56 PM

Hmmmm.   :scratchchin:  Did anyone cover making their own in a thread? 

I took my real nice "correct" set to a local stock car builder a few years ago. He said that he could make them for less than a hundred dollars a set. I gave him $300 and told him to call me when they were finished. They were absolutely horrible. I gave one set to someone on here that thought he might salvage them and use them on his car. Didn't happen...lol.
It just takes a lot of time to build nice ones and time equals dollars.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Redbird

There have been about 3 or 4 people selling the reproduction z-braces in the Winged Warrior and Daytona-Superbird newsletters the past couple of years. Join the clubs, get the newsletters and you will have a source or two.

Daytona313

Thanks for the advice. I'd love to see pictures and/or a how-to for making my own z brackets out of metal. I'm not sure where to begin.

Quote from: Redbird on May 13, 2013, 04:16:00 PM
There have been about 3 or 4 people selling the reproduction z-braces in the Winged Warrior and Daytona-Superbird newsletters the past couple of years. Join the clubs, get the newsletters and you will have a source or two.

I'll have to check it out. I've been meaning to re-sign up for the newsletter. It would be great to hear a review from a customer before buying the z brackets.

oldcarnut

Quote from: nascarxx29 on May 13, 2013, 12:41:32 PM
Quote from: Lighthorseman on May 12, 2013, 10:14:33 AM

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,73186.0.html
Its been a while but here's the rest of the pics I had done on my glass nose pg 4     Its never been on the road yet but its very sturdy bolted up and worked for me at the time.  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,53678.75.html

garyd2831

I think Gene Gregory is making them also in addition to a few other parts for the front end minus nosecone.

6PakBee

Quote from: Redbird on May 13, 2013, 04:16:00 PM

That's all fine and good but what is the harm of just listing the sources?  Somehow the thought of buying a case of nails to hang one picture seems to be a waste.

DonC1

' Thanks for the advice. I'd love to see pictures and/or a how-to for making my own z brackets out of metal. I'm not sure where to begin.'

Next set I make I will take pictures and post here.
;)

Old Moparz

It's all about how & where you use the materials. You can make anything strong enough to get the job done, but it won't be practical in all cases. Something to keep in mind is that once the Z brackets & the nose are assembled & attached to the car, the strength of all these parts together increases. The Z brackets being fiberglass instead of metal isn't the issue as long as the attachment points are reinforced, like what Dave (oldcarnut) did with the ribs inside the nose.

Think about a sheet of OSB. It's strong, but the edges & corners can be pretty brittle when you drive nails & screws too close to the edge.

The headlight buckets are moving parts so the pieces around it being fiberglass is a different story. These parts should be metal because of clearance & friction.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

unrulyprocuda

Try Rick at this number he makes several parts for birds and Daytonas including what you are after 1-270-210-2202 his name is Rick Fairless he has them listed for $659.00 a pair hope this helps

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: unrulyprocuda on May 20, 2013, 08:16:06 PM
Try Rick at this number he makes several parts for birds and Daytonas including what you are after 1-270-210-2202 his name is Rick Fairless he has them listed for $659.00 a pair hope this helps

:iagree:

r4daytona

I got my headlight buckets and pivots from Rick Fairless when I first got my car then this last year I got some z-braces from him also.  Very nice guy, willing to spend time on the phone with you.  The pieces didn't fit together perfectly like pieces of a puzzle, and he told me they wouldn't because he said they were made from originals.  He said he's had multiple wing cars over the years so I trust he knows what he's talking about.  In fact, he used to own mine.  He said I would need to enlarge or modify some holes and I did, but the look nice, they look correct with the correct indent and they are thicker gauge steel.  I'm happy with them.  :Twocents: