News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bud Moore King Cobra For Sale

Started by Aero426, May 05, 2013, 10:56:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aero426

The second of the Bud Moore King Cobras is on the market.   Probably not going anywhere at that price, but it is the real deal.    Bud acquired the yellow KC and this one from FoMoCo after the program was cancelled. 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-FORD-KING-COBRA-PROTOTYPE-NASCAR-BOSS-9-4-SPEED-1OF-2-SOLD-TO-BUD-MOORE-/221223402935?forcev4exp=true

A383Wing

cool....

headlight covers or hidden lights? The yellow one I saw in 99 had open headlights

Bryan

held1823

this thread could use a splash of color
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

held1823

more color...

one interesting area is visible in the last photo here. the underhood area behind the street car's turn signals is not boxed in , and there is a hole in the core support directly behind it. i assume this allowed for brake ducting, or was it perhaps something far more insidious?
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

JB400

The Nascar races in 70 and 71 would have been interesting if the rulebook was left alone :scratchchin:

FJ5WING

I always called that my "powerball" car. If I ever hit the lottery I would buy that car whether it was for sale or not. The offer would have made the owner want to sell. :icon_smile_big:

My Ford roots run deep! :D
wingless now, but still around.

69 DAYTONA

Quote from: Aero426 on May 05, 2013, 10:56:42 AM
The second of the Bud Moore King Cobras is on the market.   Probably not going anywhere at that price, but it is the real deal.    Bud acquired the yellow KC and this one from FoMoCo after the program was cancelled. 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-FORD-KING-COBRA-PROTOTYPE-NASCAR-BOSS-9-4-SPEED-1OF-2-SOLD-TO-BUD-MOORE-/221223402935?forcev4exp=true

...not a Ford guy, but I have always admired this car...my guess $250-325K

Aero426

Quote from: A383Wing on May 05, 2013, 11:05:01 AM
cool....

headlight covers or hidden lights? The yellow one I saw in 99 had open headlights

Bryan

There are lights under the covers.

Aero426

Quote from: held1823 on May 05, 2013, 11:17:38 AM
one interesting area is visible in the last photo here. the underhood area behind the street car's turn signals is not boxed in , and there is a hole in the core support directly behind it. i assume this allowed for brake ducting, or was it perhaps something far more insidious?

Good thought, but probably not.   The Torino race cars are what we call half-chassis cars.  Meaning that the entire front of the car is '65 Galaxie (full frame) based.  The Galaxie front clip is attached all the way through the rocker panels of the Torino using 2" x 3" rectangular steel.    None of the stock front Torino structure is used.   What I am getting at is the underhood and rad support area of the race version would look nothing like production.   Ditto on the Dodges and Plymouths as well.   Ducting and air management under the hood is variable depending on who fabricated it. 

Patronus

She's a beauty, looks real nice.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

held1823

Quote from: Aero426 on May 05, 2013, 12:51:16 PM
Quote from: held1823 on May 05, 2013, 11:17:38 AM

Good thought, but probably not.   The Torino race cars are what we call half-chassis cars.  Meaning that the entire front of the car is '65 Galaxie (full frame) based.  The Galaxie front clip is attached all the way through the rocker panels of the Torino using 2" x 3" rectangular steel.    None of the stock front Torino structure is used.   What I am getting at is the underhood and rad support area of the race version would look nothing like production.   Ditto on the Dodges and Plymouths as well.   Ducting and air management under the hood is variable depending on who fabricated it.  

great explanation. i was likening it to the daytona fender holes being there should nascar require them, and thought this car was being developed around the same time, leading ford to err on the side of caution. timeline wise, the KC would have been closer to the superbird development period.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

A383Wing

Quote from: Aero426 on May 05, 2013, 12:41:49 PM
Quote from: A383Wing on May 05, 2013, 11:05:01 AM
cool....

Bryan

There are lights under the covers.

Thanks Doug...so what's on the red car must be kinda like a snap-on style cover?

Sorry for the "dumb questions"

Bryan

boss429kiwi

Quote from: 69 DAYTONA on May 05, 2013, 12:34:16 PM
Quote from: Aero426 on May 05, 2013, 10:56:42 AM

...not a Ford guy, but I have always admired this car...my guess $250-325K

You would find a concours restored Boss 429 Mustang for $250-$325K.
My guess is $750K+
NEW ZEALAND (aka Paradise)
1973 De Tomaso Pantera GTS widebody
1970 Superbird, 6pack, 4 speed, Tor-Red, Buckets, restored by Julius
1970 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed, calypso Coral, white shaker
1970 Boss 429 KK2457, Concours, Calypso Coral (SOLD)
1957 Chevy truck, big rear window, ocean green, STOCK!.....nice!

DAY CLONA

Thiat's Stewart Weiman's car, he has quite a few Toys, IIRC he also has a HEMI Superbird.....I think he's just "testing the water", so to speak....$500K is large, but there's only a handful of these cars, 3 IIRC...The King Cobra is Kool, but I really prefer the Mercury version below.

DAY CLONA

wingcarenvy

Given how rare the King Cobra is I think this guy can call his own price. For a multi millionaire car collector 500K is chump change.

Aero426

Quote from: wingcarenvy on May 05, 2013, 10:41:09 PM
Given how rare the King Cobra is I think this guy can call his own price.

To a degree, yes.    The only benchmark on this car is itself, when it sold for around 100k (a real good deal at the time).   That was at over ten years ago now.     Let's just say, that if it is priced right, all it will take to sell it is a phone call.   Perhaps something closer to Hemi Superbird money is more like it.   

Mytur Binsdirti

I've seen the car in person & the hood is loooooong!

Daytona Guy

Quote from: DAY CLONA on May 05, 2013, 07:43:30 PM

I like the looks of the Merc than I do the Torino for the Aero car.

Dane

Bob T

Pretty impressive car, if the right guy sees it, then it will sell I guess.
There's a guy out here I know with two Twister specials, any ideas on what sort of coin they might be in the ballpark for  :popcrn:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

arrow

Im not knocking the car one bit - its a great piece of history and cool as it gets , but I dont think it was a Boss 9 car originally . Someone that knows more about it can correct me if Im wrong.

Aero426

Quote from: arrow on May 10, 2013, 12:08:55 PM

Im not knocking the car one bit - its a great piece of history and cool as it gets , but I dont think it a Boss 9 car originally . Someone that knows more about it can correct me if Im wrong.

You are right.   John Craft says it had a 429 wedge in it when Bud Moore received it.   But it had the Boss Nine compatible shock towers.  It later got the engine it should have had in the beginning. 

odcics2

What happened to the race car Cale tested?    Wonder where that front clip ended up...

Aren't there more of these around than were originally built BY FORD?  :shruggy:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

GOTWING

myaerocars

If I ever get back into the project, there WILL be one more car around (to go with my Superbird clone).  :2thumbs:

Since I got the front end out of the mold, I have just kinda decided to take a break from the Fords and stay with my Road Runner and the '72 Charger. My daughter asked me when I was gonna get the King Cobra done and I told her "before you get outta school".  She then asked me  "Is that middle, high, college or grad school, dad" ???   Smart girl, she is!

Godspeed,
JON