News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

No power steering at idle only

Started by 70-500-SE-EXPORT, April 29, 2013, 07:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70-500-SE-EXPORT

Hi guys I'm hoping someone can help me with my frustrating power steering. I have a 68 charger with rebuilt stock suspension, firm feel stage 2 box and a new power steering pump (Saginaw). I've replaced the pump with reman napa pumps twice and still have no assist at idle only (idle is 800rpm). Pulling into a parking lot and trying to park is very difficult. Any ideas what could cause this?
Thanks!
68 Charger original SS1 paint with matching # 383hp

A383Wing

I doubt you would get 3 faulty pumps in a row...I would start suspecting a bad box at this point

Bryan

DC_1

Hmmm, 3 pumps?....you are either very unlucky or the pump or box is not building pressure. I suspect a bad seal.

Charger RT

70-500-SE-EXPORT

The car drives and steers perfect. I dont think the firm box has anything to do with the issue. Btw the improvement with The ff box was incredible. Worth every penny.

I've installed two pumps reman from napa not three. I also replaced the high pres line.

Soon as I raise the rpm to 1000 the power steering works fine. At 800 rpm it doesn't work at all.
68 Charger original SS1 paint with matching # 383hp

A383Wing

faulty box...probably a faulty seal inside or a bad valve or spring

Bryan

DC_1

Quote from: A383Wing on April 29, 2013, 09:22:00 PM
faulty box...probably a faulty seal inside or a bad valve or spring

Bryan

:yesnod:

A383Wing

QuoteI've replaced the pump with reman Napa pumps twice and still have no assist at idle only

So you put on 2 pumps from NAPA, what was wrong with the pump that was on the car that you first replaced with the first NAPA pump? To me, makes me think you had 3 bad pumps...doubt it

You've replaced pumps & hoses...nothing else left but the box...just because it's a FF box does not make it invincible to breaking....you got a warranty with this box?

"Known new part not always good part"

I'm still saying you got a bad box....but your mind seems already made up that it can't be bad

Bryan

nrt69

is the pwr steering belt not working/slipping at idle? is it only turning the pump when the rpms are raised?

and stupid question: is there enough fluid in it?

SUPERSTAR14

A pressure gauge is needed to determine what is wrong.
More than likely the pump is bad........ see it all the time at work.....Re-man pumps are junk these days, we won't install anymore on customer cars, we get new ones right from the dealers.
Good luck,
-Pat

-OR-    JUST A THOUGHT  are you running stock pulleys? or aftermarket? too large of a pulley will reduce pump output at idle.

flyinlow

Do you still have the old pressure line?

I cut mine and installed a T fitting with a pressure gauge. That will provide alot of info for troubleshooting.

My numbers:
At idle with no steering input there will be little pressure. As you turn the steering 300-600 psi. This number will vary according to wheel alignment ,tire size and how fast you move the steering wheel. With the steering held against the stop 1100-1200 psi.

Hard Charger

low or no pressure or fluid would be the culprit.