News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Voltage regulator question

Started by Dodgerdallas, April 28, 2013, 11:51:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgerdallas

Dodgerdallas 
Part-Timer

Replaced my alternator and got a charge on the ammeter (barely) and w the accessories on it still barely stayed on the charge side-now all if a sudden it's back on the discharge side and I can't find the problem. I cleaned and tightened the connections at the gauge plus installed a jumper,took the alternator back,tested good but they gave me another. Took the battery back-good just low,My Snap on tester said the alternators good its just not reaching the battery. I've went down the list of problems that came w alternator but still no pwr at battery-any body got some suggestions? I'm getting another voltage reg-does anybody have a quick diagram of how to properly hook up alt,Voltage reg do I don't screw another one up if that's the case? It also has ballast(?) mounted on firewall
This is gonna be cheap and easy......

Pete in NH

Hi,

Are we talking about the 66 you have pictured? If so, does it still have the original single field wire alternator and mechanical regulator? Do you have the original point ignition system or has it been converted to an electronic ignition?

If all these things are still original, you can check the regulator by turning everything off in the car lights, radio, etc. putting a voltmeter across the battery and momentarily connecting the two wires across the regulator with a jumper wire. This is called full fielding the alternator and the voltmeter across the battery should go up to 16 to 18 volts. Do this only long enough to get a reading on the voltmeter and only if you don't have electronic ignition. You don't want to blow anything out. If the voltage comes up to 16 to 18 volts the alternator is good and you have a regulator problem.

Also, if the battery is really low it would be a good idea to put a battery charger on it to bring it back up before doing any testing. Hope this helps and please let us know how you make out.