News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

5years and still in the garage, and ready to finish

Started by miller time, April 22, 2013, 10:55:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miller time

so my 1969 Dodge Charger R/T SE 440 8 3/4 rear with 3.55 suregrip (bought when i was 15 and now 20) its not my dads car, wish it was, it would be done LOL, but the body work was started and currently waiting, the 727 was rebuilt, interior engine bay and underside all paint metallic gun metal grey. drilled and cross slotted front disc brakes, i have all glass and body panels except lower front cowl, have 2 grills most of interior, lights, wiring, gas tank true dual 3in exhaust

Motor (currently at machine shop)
1968 440
punched .030 over
287 297 cam .454 dur variable lifters
440 source platinum series pistons and rods
total seal gapless 2nd rings
inline 2x4 intake
soon to get 440 source aluminum heads
push rods
and more

so its been sitting for a while, as i built a custom jeep (motor trans 1 ton rear 10in lift ect) fixed and sold another jeep, bought a 4x4 mule, been working and going to school and been lazy, SO
to the point
the car needs body work and to be put together
im building the motor right now
what would you do if you were me? where would you start and then what would you do?
NOT BODYWORK im not touching body work or talking about it, so ill bring it up when its time
i havent been on since 09 so dont be shy

JB400

I'd do inventory of all your parts and at least get your vendors located for the parts you need.  Then, I'd get the body solid while the block is getting machined.

C_stripes

Welcome back. I remember this car from a long time ago. Can't wait to see updated pics.
I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

miller time

I'm trying to avoid body work, body work is the sole reason i havent finished the car so I'm going for anything else, and i have a really good idea of what i have and can easily second check (first priority is the other +/-$1500 for my 440)
when my garage doesn't look like a drove my truck threw it i will take some new pictures for sure! :2thumbs: thanks for the welcome back

fy469rtse

Quote from: miller time on April 22, 2013, 11:38:18 PM
I'm trying to avoid body work, body work is the sole reason i havent finished the car so I'm going for anything else, and i have a really good idea of what i have and can easily second check (first priority is the other +/-$1500 for my 440)
when my garage doesn't look like a drove my truck threw it i will take some new pictures for sure! :2thumbs: thanks for the welcome back

keep at it, go edelbrock rpm heads, you won't regret spending the extra $

areibel

I guess I think the opposite way- I'd rather get the body done first and be able to drive the thing than to build a motor and leave it sit while the body waits.  Personally I'd get the body work finished, drop in anything that'll move the car (318/360 or whatever you can find) and build the motor then.  You can leave the final paint for last, but rust never sleeps!

Baldwinvette77

yeah, i agree, finish the body, its pretty much the main reason you do a resto isn't it?  :shruggy:

moparsr2ast

If nothing else, take individual components to the body shop... doors, hood ect. Just take what you can afford, then move on to the next body part. They can seal the parts after the bodywork is done without actually painting them, or have em painted also... your choice.  You can scuff and spray jambs and engine compartment yourself with relatively little effort, or have a buddy help. When you get all that done, you will just have the roof and quartes to finish. Put your drivetrain in, and take it somewhere to have the body finished. This will give you a very nice street cruiser with low effort.

Bob

miller time

im more of a make it run like a stagged rat, then a make it purtty type of guy
where should i start on the  rest of the car? a few i deas would be great im hoping one sticks with me and get be back workin on the car, havent touched it in months so have to start slow or risk burning out like last time, thanks

ACUDANUT

You have to get the body work done first.  Get er done...now.

areibel

What does the body need?  Maybe post a few pics and we could make some suggestions. 
You don't have to do the mega bucks paint, but do the body work right the first time.  Heck get it straight then use a couple coats of epoxy primer to cover it all up, do a low buck interior with some Whitney carpet and seat covers if you have to, but get it back together and running.  Nothing will improve your motivation better than driving it, and and a built motor on a stand won't do much for that.

b5blue

Hey your back and you kept the car, good for you.
  Guys he's 20 now....there is so much still ahead for him yet lets not knock him off whatever his plan is, at least he hung on to it and something is happening!  :2thumbs: I ran my car 18 years rusty and leaking water in the rain (stored 6 years.) while I raised my kids and it got me to work and the store paying for it's keep.  :yesnod:
  No doubt doing the body is good advice but for five years all he's been able to do is sit in in and dream!  :2thumbs: Good luck!

JB400

If you don't care what it looks like, locate all your parts and put it together.  Build the motor, install, and have fun.  But, if you're planning on doing some painting in the future, why not do it now while the car is already apart.  It'll keep you from doing some work twice.

miller time

the problem is theres 1 good body guy/painter i know of, but hes left me hangin a few times and works 6 days a week and has a family, he already missed a few times i was ready to hand him $2k and he didnt show up, not to mention the other 2 body shops that screwed me over, i dont have good luck with it, ever.
but the body needs body lines put back on it, and the whole car needs a coat of bondo, (i know it does i spent a month straightening and welding the body panels as best as they could be)
pretty much the only thing on the car now is suspension, axles front wheels, k member exhaust, steering, brakes and fuel system, everything else is off the car
the rear fenders and doors and front fenders need to be oshpo-ed and sound deadener put on, i rebuilt my 727 a year and a half ago, looking for a manual so i am waiting as long as i can to get a torque converter (if i get a manual it'd be a waste to buy a converter)
i have almost all the interior and drive line, original 69 charger wire harness (tail, engine, dash, lights) all the glass all the sheet metal, i have almost everything i just need to start on it again but im trying to make a plan or a list so i dont just look at the whole car, i can see it broken up

and the car will get it body work done, LATER, not next week or next month but when someone with some sense is availible to help me knock it out, it is in the plan just not the current plan

and i have to clear up some space and i will get some more pictures up, P.S. the car is now painted interior engine bay and underside, the body and panels are primed, the rear fenders have alot of mud on them (built it up so i could knock it down smooth, hopefully)
also i will be making my car a full frame with custom subframe conectors (something else new im a certified stick welder now too)

ws23rt

Quote from: miller time on April 23, 2013, 01:35:55 PM
the problem is theres 1 good body guy/painter i know of, but hes left me hangin a few times and works 6 days a week and has a family, he already missed a few times i was ready to hand him $2k and he didnt show up, not to mention the other 2 body shops that screwed me over, i dont have good luck with it, ever.
but the body needs body lines put back on it, and the whole car needs a coat of bondo, (i know it does i spent a month straightening and welding the body panels as best as they could be)
pretty much the only thing on the car now is suspension, axles front wheels, k member exhaust, steering, brakes and fuel system, everything else is off the car
the rear fenders and doors and front fenders need to be oshpo-ed and sound deadener put on, i rebuilt my 727 a year and a half ago, looking for a manual so i am waiting as long as i can to get a torque converter (if i get a manual it'd be a waste to buy a converter)
i have almost all the interior and drive line, original 69 charger wire harness (tail, engine, dash, lights) all the glass all the sheet metal, i have almost everything i just need to start on it again but im trying to make a plan or a list so i dont just look at the whole car, i can see it broken up

and the car will get it body work done, LATER, not next week or next month but when someone with some sense is availible to help me knock it out, it is in the plan just not the current plan

and i have to clear up some space and i will get some more pictures up, P.S. the car is now painted interior engine bay and underside, the body and panels are primed, the rear fenders have alot of mud on them (built it up so i could knock it down smooth, hopefully)
also i will be making my car a full frame with custom subframe conectors (something else new im a certified stick welder now too)

I read this over several times and have come believe that what you have accomplished on your own so far tells me you can do the body line and panel prep. I went through this myself.
You said you spent a month welding and straightening panels the best you could and they need a lot of bondo. I think you have developed a good enough eye to reduce the amount of bondo needed to just a skim coat. This is the best way to the finish line.
A good body man will likely tell you your panels are not ready for bondo. Your good eye and a body file will tell you what to do. Take your time because it is free. Try spot application of bondo yourself. You will become the guy you now want to hire.

miller time

thanks, i did my truck fender and no has ever noticed (hammer primer bondo paint)
panels were quite ready for bondo i was wasting time as far as everyone was concerned, i know how to do body work im actually pretty decent at it, in small areas, body lines are beyond me though, noone has taught me how todo any kind of body work, so with how massive the charger is and how many body lines it has (more important how many lines mines missing) im lost

But i dont see why its a big deal to make it run primer seal it and work on the bodywork whenever, taping windows and all is time consuming but not hard, id rather spend more time making it drive so i can enjoy then making it so other people can enjoy it

Hopefully tommarrow i will clear out the garage so maby some pictures will be in the near future

472 R/T SE

I like this attitude way better.  Welcome back.  Real glad you kept it.  I was honest to goodness worried that you were gonna wrap the Charger up around a tree. 
I thought the person you bought it from had spent a pile of $$ on it already?  What exactly did you buy?

I don't blame you with the body work.  I've never completely tore a motor down, replaced heads on a Chebby as far as opening one up.  That & body work.  Don't worry about it, I would venture to guess there's only about 15% of the members' that do absolutely everything. 

If I were you, I'd get it on the road & enjoy it as is.  Since the engine bay has already been colored it won't be near the pain when time comes for complete color.  That way you can enjoy it right away while you save up for complete body/paint.  For a while I thought running around in primer was the cool thing to do.   :shruggy:

miller time

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on April 24, 2013, 02:07:15 AM
I like this attitude way better.  Welcome back.  Real glad you kept it.  I was honest to goodness worried that you were gonna wrap the Charger up around a tree. 
I thought the person you bought it from had spent a pile of $$ on it already?  What exactly did you buy?

I don't blame you with the body work.  I've never completely tore a motor down, replaced heads on a Chebby as far as opening one up.  That & body work.  Don't worry about it, I would venture to guess there's only about 15% of the members' that do absolutely everything. 

If I were you, I'd get it on the road & enjoy it as is.  Since the engine bay has already been colored it won't be near the pain when time comes for complete color.  That way you can enjoy it right away while you save up for complete body/paint.  For a while I thought running around in primer was the cool thing to do.   :shruggy:

yeah that's why I'm glad i didn't get it done yet because i still have her and she hasn't hit anything yet, and they put money in the engine did but the valves were kissing the pistons and it needed punched out the crank turned new heads pistons rods etc etc
and that's exactly what i was thinking when i got the car and no one liked the idea and now its about the same, but this time i going to be politely stuburn  :2thumbs: P.S. primer is cool, black primer and clear can look great :cheers:

b5blue

You can use Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator. I've been "field testing" it on my jeep and it's holding up well in the Fl. sun. It's fairly cheap and easy to spray yet protects very well. 

moparsr2fast

Brought mine home in pieces, a year later it is drivable, and I don't think the primer sealer takes away from it to bad....

Bob

70 Charger 500
     2001 Ram 2500 Sport
        2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee
  2006 Dodge Charger Daytona

miller time

Welcome Moparsr2fast, im jealous she looks great :2thumbs:
Thanks B5 ill check it out i only need a little my cars rust free just for where i cant see.

If anyone in middle Florida and wants to make some $ helping me put it together, we might be able to work something out someone thats done it is always helpful  :shruggy:

miller time

JB400

I load my pics in my Paint program on the computer.  Choose File, select properties.  Adjust height to around 400 and width to around 750-800 and make sure it's below the 200 kb limit.  Give it an oddball name and save.  It's always worked for me. :popcrn:

miller time

^ i totally forgot to take pictures  :brickwall:, but im paint in the doors and rear fenders and front fenders today with rubberized undercoating, so hopefully i can get some pictures took, but im more hopefull to work on it  :D
also pistons and rods and finished, block and crank are home, along with cam, rings, gaskets, intake, and a few other pieces, still need heads, push rods, bearings, oil pump, ect.

1974dodgecharger