News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

So I hear bout this "Hemi" 66' Charger at Crusie night last night....

Started by Cooter, April 22, 2013, 11:14:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooter

I go over and begin to look it over. Sure nuff, by the VIN, the 5th digit is an "H".

I look for the solenoid plate that was I believe only on the 1966-1967 Cars right? I see two holes about 2" apart, but no solenoid plate.
I look underneath for skid plate and it has one, but get this, it has a 440 Wedge in it now and the motor mounts welded to the K frame appear to be factory??

Anythiung else I missed? I didn't have my camera last night, so no pics, but I will carry next weekend as he's supposed to be at that one as well.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Mytur Binsdirti

Did it have the boxed in front spring perches? H is the code for a hemi in 1966 only. H in 1967 is for 383. Could it have been a 67 car?

Cooter

Hmmmmm, now that I think about it, I shoulda got the whole damn VIN and wrote it down.

It DID have front sway bar, Power disc. Brakes, Auto console. Didn't notice any boxed front spring pieces.

Funny thing is, I DID ask what engine was in it when he got back from sitting for over 30 plus years....Guess what he said?....Yep, 383.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Cooter

How does one spot a 1967 Form a '66 Just by walking up to it? Been doing searches, but can't spot any real differences.

Mytur Binsdirti

In early '66 Dodge realized that there was no way to make the 67 Charger any prettier than the '66 Charger, so other than changing the numbers in the tailight lenses, they left the 1967 model alone. Word has it that this gave them enough time to save up all their beauty secrets and appliy them to the new '68 model. That seemed to have worked.   ;)

bill440rt

The identifiable year differences are spotted by the tips on the front fender upper moldings. '66's just turn slightly down & follow the fender. '67's had bullet style indicators in them.

Top photo is a '66, bottom photo is a '67.
Might be some other slight differences but that is the easily identifiable one.  :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Mytur Binsdirti

bill440rt

Jus' tryin' to help da pimp out, see what I'm sayin', yo??  :yesnod:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

C_stripes

66 also had a full console and 67 did not. By full console I mean all the way from front to back. The spinner hubcaps were also only available in 66
I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

A383Wing

tail lenses are the same for both years, not sure where Richard came up with that false info

Main difference on the outside is the fender turn signal indicators on the front fenders. Hood letters are different as well...67's had brushed silver wiper arms, 66's were chrome. Plus about 65 other differences between the 2 years

66 Hemi cars had the solenoid plate on the drivers inner fender, 67's didn't

Bryan

ITSA426

I started a list but after about 145 differences between the two years I gave up.  When I talk to some friends that have some experience I always seem to find something new.  

Basically, Dodge tried to build the same car for less money or comply with new federal standards effective for 67.  That's why there are dual master cylinders and collapsible steering columns, four way flashers went from optional to standard.  The base price difference was just a few dollars between the two years.  The 66 is still my favorite car.

twodko

Quote from: bill440rt on April 22, 2013, 01:37:55 PM
[/quote

Sometimes you just gotta bust a cap........
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Cooter

No, No I don't ....Really. I don't.

Cooter

However, I do believe this car I saw had the little spear looking things of the 1967 Vintage. I just didn't have the heart to tell the poor guy he had a plain jane car after he swore it was a Hemi car. Story goes, he has had the car for years, never titled it. Well, after 30 years ,the owners have died. They never put a "Selling price" on the title, so when he went to the DMV they told him they have to go by "Blue Book" value instead for the taxes on said car. Well, long story short, he had to pay Over $800.00 In tax on a supposedly $20K (In fair cond.) "Hemi"car, that CLEARLY wasn't worth $20K. I just couldn't bust his bubble in front of everybody. Plus, Everybody was looking to me for some kinda "Hemi Expert" (Of which I am not), simply because I own "All them Mopars"....I wasn't sure, but this car just didn't seem "Right" for Hemi-fied.

bill440rt

Quote from: Cooter on April 23, 2013, 06:13:28 AM

No, No I don't ....Really. I don't.

Well, dang gum! Jus' tryin' to be a lil' hospitable, figurin' you bein' a fish outta water is all. Soo-ey! Much obliged.  :cheers:
(Is that clearer?   ;) )

Yep, sounds like it was a '67 383.  :yesnod:

chargerboy69

Another tip is the seat patterns are different. A 66 seat seems run left to right, the 67 material seems run front to back.  ;)
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Cooter

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Cooter on April 23, 2013, 06:18:23 AM
Everybody was looking to me for some kinda "Hemi Expert" (Of which I am not)

That's for damn sure.  You should have asked me!   :lol:

mauve66

Quote from: ITSA426 on April 22, 2013, 02:57:16 PM
I started a list but after about 145 differences between the two years I gave up.  When I talk to some friends that have some experience I always seem to find something new.  

Basically, Dodge tried to build the same car for less money or comply with new federal standards effective for 67.  That's why there are dual master cylinders and collapsible steering columns, four way flashers went from optional to standard.  The base price difference was just a few dollars between the two years.  The 66 is still my favorite car.

vin decoder here but you seem to have the motor codes down anyway

http://www.chargersourceguide.com/

i thought there was a complete listing on this page also but i can't find it now
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

472 R/T SE

Hard to see the pinion snubber reinforcement without actually getting under the car but the rear spring gusset plate that was welded in is viewable.
Pictures are from a '66 Coronet.

Hemmings feature on '66 Hemi Charger

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: A383Wing on April 22, 2013, 02:54:15 PM
tail lenses are the same for both years, not sure where Richard came up with that false info

I never said that they chaged the tail lights, just the numbering inside them, but I learned long ago that to tell that year of the car, just look at the taillights & the two digits signifying the year will be there printed. I don't profess to be a 66-67 Charger expert, but are you saying that the year designation in the tail lights is the same beteen 66 & 67? It's not on every other Mopar I've looked at.

For those who doubt me, here's a picture of my 68 Charger tail light & 69 Road Runner taillight that have been highlighted with chalk. Both clearly identify the year...

Cooter

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on April 23, 2013, 05:02:20 PM
Quote from: Cooter on April 23, 2013, 06:18:23 AM
Everybody was looking to me for some kinda "Hemi Expert" (Of which I am not)

That's for damn sure.  You should have asked me!   :lol:

But, But, they tend to ask me because I'm much cooler.... :lol:

A383Wing

66 and 67 Charger tail lights are the same part number...all 67's had 66 lenses

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: A383Wing on April 24, 2013, 01:15:01 PM
66 and 67 Charger tail lights are the same part number...all 67's had 66 lenses

I stand corrected.