News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A-833 Rebuild

Started by charlie45, April 20, 2013, 10:45:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie45

Hi Guys,

My transmission on my Charger is making some unpleasant noises, doesn't shift too well neither, etc... Looks like I will have to have it rebuilt...

Is this a DIY job with a some mechanically-inclined individuals?? Or is something for people that really know transmissions, etc. (i.e. Not DIY)...Do you need special tools as well?

Btw, its a A-833 4 Speed. How much is sort of rough estimate to have one of these rebuilt by an expert? Thx

garner7555

I rebuilt mine myself. It was the first transmission I had ever torn down, it wasn't that bad. I have mechanical ability but never messed with a transmission till then. Just take your time and maybe take pictures as you disassemble to reference when you reassemble.
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

resq302

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't you need a press to press out some of the shafts and brearings?
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Rolling_Thunder

You will need

Snap Ring Pliers
Shop Press (rear shaft bushing)
Arbor for filling countershaft roller bearings
Assorted hand tools

It is not THAT difficult to do yourself if you have some know how and an exploded diagram.

Where are you located? 
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

resq302

What about getting the gears out of the counter shaft?  I thought that was pressed in?
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

charlie45

Hey guys, thanks for the info. I'm in Munich Germany... I was going to have someone do it, but they want 1,200-1,500 EUR to rebuild it... Everything is just so damn expensive over here... Thats why I was contemplating buying the rebuild kit from Brewers, and doing it with one of my friends who is pretty mechanically savvy and has a workshop with pretty much all the tools...

Dans 68

Do it yourself. Sounds like you have all the necessary ingredients to do a fine job. If you run into any snags Brewers can help, or we will.  :2thumbs:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Rolling_Thunder

The counter shaft can be removed with a hammer and wooden dowl - you must drive it out and the counter shaft then drops into the case allowing for removal of the tailshaft. 

$1,200 Euros?  Holy Shit!  I am in the wrong business. 

I would say rebuild it yourself. It's not very difficult.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Fred

I paid a professional to do mine (A-833 which I had in my 70 Cuda)..........it was so bad I had to pull it apart and do it myself and would you believe.........I got it to work perfectly.
It was the first gearbox I took apart and fixed myself.
If I had any idea it was going to be so easy, I could have saved myself a lot of money.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Chatt69chgr

The bearing in the tailshaft needs to be pressed out.  Any transmission shop can do that for you.  As stated, Brewers has rebuild kits assuming that your gears are OK.  They also have various thickness countershaft thrust washers in case you need to make any adjustments to the countershaft end play that the normal thrust washers won't take care of  (I think you are looking for .020 inch but you better make sure about that).  You will want to inspect the countershaft rod to make sure that you don't have any Brinelling, ie, that the surface of it is smooth.  If not, Brewers has replacements.  I think they also have gears if needed.  Zumbrota Bearing and Gear had gears (and synchronizers) available too.  Not sure if they still do.  The factory shop manual has a good exploded diagram.  And it also has info on rebuilding the transmission.  Any problems, the folks at Brewers can answer via telephone.  I'm thinking that the most important thing to figure out is whether the synchronizer teeth on the gearsets are OK.  Someone needs to post some pictures of what these should look like so you can make that determination.  It should be pretty easy to determine if the actual gear teeth themselves are OK just by inspection.  What I don't know is whether it is OK to replace, say, a single bad gear and retain all of the rest.  Brewers could answer that.