News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Failed thrust bearing.. Why?

Started by oestermarken, April 20, 2013, 04:01:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oestermarken

When starting up the engine to get the car out off its winter storage, I heard a terrible knocking noise, it sounded like it came from the backend underneath the engine.
After some troubleshooting I decided to pull the oil pan, and then discovered the crank had a lot of endplay 0.14 inches
I then took out the thrust bearing, and could see a lot off material missing from the bearing and also the crank trust surface has a deep groove.

why has this happened? Is it just normal wear and a known issue or is there something internal / external pushing the crank forward and causes this failure?

The reason i ask is because, I want to know if there is something specific to look after, when I disassemble the engine.
It would be sad to have rebuild the engine and this happens again.

/Brian
69 383 4bbl
White Hat Special
Light Bronze Metallic

moparsr2ast

Generally a thrust bearing doesn't fail, at least to this extreme. It is one of 2 issues....either the crank has to much clearance intitially, causing it to rock back and forth in the saddle, and wearing out the thrust bearing in the process, or this is a manual trans car that has gone thru some very spirited driving. A rebuild shop will know if the crank is out of tolerance before it is final assembled. Good luck Brian

Cooter

When engine was rebuilt, there are TWO different thrust bearings. One is for like 1966-73 440's and one from like 1974-78 or something. You sure you/engine shop used the correct thrust bearing originally?
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

oestermarken

It's a Auto trans car with a 383.
I don't know if the engine has ever been rebuild, I guess I will find out when I get it out off the car and opened up  :icon_smile_blackeye:
69 383 4bbl
White Hat Special
Light Bronze Metallic

b5blue

Quote from: Cooter on April 20, 2013, 08:34:02 AM
When engine was rebuilt, there are TWO different thrust bearings. One is for like 1966-73 440's and one from like 1974-78 or something. You sure you/engine shop used the correct thrust bearing originally?
So that would be forged or cast crank?  :scratchchin:

Challenger340

In theory anyways, the Crank pretty much floats end to end in the Engine, nothing should push the Crank to cause a thrust failure ?
Unless,
something "pushes" the crank backwards from the Harmonic Balancer- DOUBTFULL, unless you have a prybar on it while running ?
or
something "pushes" the Crank from the rear, like a Balooning Torque Convertor, or in some Transmissions(non 727) excessive line pressure ?

Is it an old Engine ?
Maybe it was just time ?

A good tip when repairing, is to file a very small chamfer(.020") on the parting line of the Top(grooved)Thrust Bearing on only one side.
This allows a very small amount of the pressurized Oil to get OUT from the grooved upper bearing onto the Thrust Surfaces for added lubrication.
The above,
we found as a great cure with the sb Ferd 10.5" tire cars running HUGE Clutch Plate Pressures back when them Morons still ran sticks,
but,
works on the BB Mopars/HEMI's also.

Sorry for your loss, no fun in the spring when a guy wants to drive his car, feel for you my man. :pity: 
Only wimps wear Bowties !

John_Kunkel

There is a not-too-common failure in the 727 TF that permits full line pressure into the converter that pushes the converter forward with 3-4 times more force than normal.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

oestermarken

Quote from: Challenger340 on April 20, 2013, 08:40:26 PM
something "pushes" the Crank from the rear, like a Balooning Torque Convertor, or in some Transmissions(non 727) excessive line pressure ?
My thoughts has been on the transmission/converter, because I have sometimes experienced converter bolts have hit the gearbox shield, especially if I've been in a traffic jam for a long time and it then disappears after some time with normal driving.
I was told, that bad flow in the transmission oil cooler circuit, could push the converter forward. I don't know if this is true?

Is it an old Engine ?
Maybe it was just time ?
This is the original engine. I don't know if it ever has been opened, so maybe it's just time  ;)

Sorry for your loss, no fun in the spring when a guy wants to drive his car, feel for you my man. :pity:  
This is really bad timing!! but isn't it allways  :icon_smile_blackeye:
69 383 4bbl
White Hat Special
Light Bronze Metallic

oestermarken

Quote from: John_Kunkel on April 21, 2013, 04:19:29 PM

There is a not-too-common failure in the 727 TF that permits full line pressure into the converter that pushes the converter forward with 3-4 times more force than normal.

Is this something I can check myself? I will hate to bolt a defective gearbox behind a rebuild engine..

/Brian
69 383 4bbl
White Hat Special
Light Bronze Metallic