News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

General Lee for sale on Ebay , thoughts ?

Started by Generalkiwi, April 15, 2013, 10:30:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Generalkiwi

Hey Guys,

Im just after thoughts on this Ebay General Lee for sale please ?...im an overseas buyer whose desperate to avoid the scammers and to hopefully own one of these amazing cars one day....cheers and any help is appreciated!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge-Charger-Base-Hardtop-2-Door-1969-Dodge-Charger-Base-Hardtop-2-Door-7-2L-/111050264163?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item19db1c8e63#ht_560wt_1165
I'm a Kiwi from New Zealand

marshallfry01

I would be very careful buying that car.  All of that wiring hanging under the dash is potential danger.  I would definitely go look at it in person if I was going to buy it.  I don't know how "accurate" or "show correct" you want your general, but every one of the graphics are not the right font/size.  "General Lee" is way too close to the front.  Again, I'm not trying to bash the car, but that is just my  :Twocents:.  Good luck on finding a General Lee!
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

Generalkiwi

Thanks mate, i did notice the graphics were not good at all, i know the perfect car doesn't exist in my price range and i am happy to work on it to make it accurate. If it has a reasonably good body then i will be happy, i can get the graphics fixed and can work on the motor myself...but fixing bodywork is something i don't really know how to do.

All comments are welcome negative or positive, thanks for your advice :)

Cheers

NHCharger

Only four pics and three are of the decals ::)
You need someone to check it out in person.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Generalkiwi

I've emailed the seller asking for alot more detailed photos to be emailed to me, will see how they look.

Cheers
Mike

Cooter

With all the "Correct" decals out there, WTF would someone hack up the "01" and the "General Lee" lettering like that???

I bet a bushel of apples that is painted on there. And to think I couldn't give mine away for WAY less than the bid on that one. Amazing.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Benji

Antwerp is about 30 miles from me. I could drive up there and look at it for you if you get an OK from the owner for me.  PM me if you are interested.  I could also get some more photos for you.

Ben

skip68

I'd be concerned about the rust.  I know what the seller says but that's not always true.  Get pictures from under the car.   :Twocents:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Brian in GA

No way I'd touch it without crawling all over and under it.  The rat's nest of wires hanging from below the glove compartment, no pictures of the engine or underbody, seems to be real proud of those decals, NONE of which are even nearly correct.  Looks to me like that one shot of the body has rust bubbling around the wheel wells, but that may just be the picture resolution.  I can't understand if you're trying to sell a car for that kind of money, why not put up some decent pictures?  Ebay lets you post about 12 pictures for free, for pete's sake. 

The interior color and seat covering is not right, and no telling what else this guy either doesn't know or is trying to hide.  Don't you spend a nickel unless you get some eyeballs on it you trust.  There's just too much about this ad that spooks me.  And just FYI, you'll be real hard pressed to get a decent deal on a charger on ebay. 

Mike DC

QuoteNo way I'd touch it without crawling all over and under it.  The rat's nest of wires hanging from below the glove compartment, no pictures of the engine or underbody, seems to be real proud of those decals, NONE of which are even nearly correct.  Looks to me like that one shot of the body has rust bubbling around the wheel wells, but that may just be the picture resolution.  I can't understand if you're trying to sell a car for that kind of money, why not put up some decent pictures?  Ebay lets you post about 12 pictures for free, for pete's sake. 

The interior color and seat covering is not right, and no telling what else this guy either doesn't know or is trying to hide.  Don't you spend a nickel unless you get some eyeballs on it you trust.  There's just too much about this ad that spooks me.  And just FYI, you'll be real hard pressed to get a decent deal on a charger on ebay.

The interior/seat color looks like '69 factory Saddle Tan, which is an accurate color for a GL to have. 

Aside from that, I totally agree with everything else you said. 

Mytur Binsdirti

That roach has more bubbles on its skin than school full of 10 graders.

469 runner

Yes, this one has rust issues.  It is always far worse than one can see .  Especially on cars that have been painted and bubbles are showing up.

Kern Dog

PASS on this one.
Unless you have skills in rust repair, this car will test you wallet and your patience. Every picture showing bubbles means rust. My thoughts are that the rust that you SEE is often only the tip of the iceberg and with zero underbody pictures, you are going in totally blind. The interior seems to be decent. The owner tells next to nothing about the engine/trans/axle. The master cylinder is one used for 4 wheel drum brakes. My point here is that the car surely will need some parts in the future and I'm sure that they aren't exactly in huge numbers where you live.
If you want a General Lee car, you'd be better off buying a clean 318 or 383 driver and doing it yourself. The rust repair needed here will beat your spirit down.

bill440rt

No one else has noticed the mold growing from the carpet??  :scope:  :o
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

NHCharger

I see that the seller has added more pics since my last post. My 71 had some rust bubbles like that in the lower quarters when i bought it. It lasted 10 years before i had it fixed. Looks like that car has a bunch of little problems that all add up to the point of probably stripping the car. Might get lucky and find no major rust.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

greenpigs

I would keep waiting, seems to be a GL clone or 3 every week on ebay.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Generalkiwi

Hey All,

Thankyou everyone so much for the input , both negative and positive comments are appreciated alot , i certainly know im in the right place with some very good members when i asked for help and get so many replies back, thankyou to everyone!. I emailed the owner and asked for more pics , he told me he would add them to the listing which he has done. He has plenty pf positive feedbacks on ebay so i believe the seller is genuine, but after seeing the extra pics and listening to all your comments i believe i can find better for my money, just to risky to know what is under those rust bubbles, could be little work or it could be a nightmare. So after listening to everyone's comments I will keep looking, i have been waiting for this car since i was 9, so i can wait alittle longer :)

@Benji , thanks heaps mate for the offer of going to have a look for me, that totally blew me away that someone would do that. I really appreciated the offer!

Cheers all
Mike

BrianShaughnessy

The seller doesn't seem to know much or to give a crap about the car anymore...   looks kinda like a slap together job anyway.   and overpriced.  :Twocents:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Dino

Mike, remember I told you it's the unmolested car you want?  This ain't one of them!  Walk away buddy, there's much better cars out there.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Generalkiwi

Message received guys, im leaving this one alone :)

Cheers
Mike