News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I need ideas for a weird problem!

Started by b5blue, April 12, 2013, 06:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

Trying to remove my 70 Charger's over-riders so I can prep and paint my front valance. This is weird, almost as if the washer was welded? Hard to see in person also as it's position is upside down and leaning forward deeply in the space between the radiator and the bumper/grill. Nut rusted away to next to nothing yet it's got a death grip on the over-rider? I cranked hard on it and put a chisel and hammer to it to see if it would loosen.
  Any idea how/what I could get in this awkward spot to free it?  :scratchchin:

areibel

A little heat and some Blaster or Kroil?  Heat it, even with a propane torch and then spray it down, repeat.  This is an outside activity, it will smoke and stink!  And it may flare and burn off the oil, depending on how hot you get it but once you break the rust it'll go.
Or center punch and drill out the bold from the outside?

b5blue

Thanks but no can do...heat by grill, bad, can't drill through bumper guard/over-rider or it'll be messed up!  :shruggy: Dang I got new rubber strips for these to install also.  :rotz:
   I may have to wait till I pull the whole front bumper/grill next year!  :brickwall:

bill440rt

Wait until you get that bumper/grille assembly off, Neal. Then you can remove the grille and work off that bolt, or what's left of it.
Only other solution I can think of right now is to use a air Dremel with a metal carbide bit to cut off what's left of the stud. A little crude, but it will work and then you'll have to replace the stud.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

b5blue

Monziac

If you can tack a new nyt onto the old one, sometimes the extreme heat of the weld causes the nut to release. The heat is local so shouldnt get near the grill.  What I have done in the past is to weld a washer to the existing nut, then weld a nut to the washer. Now just put a wrench on it and turn. Usually works.

Jon

b5blue

Thanks Bill!  :2thumbs: 49.00 tool and 10.00 bit, off in ten minutes. The nut had rusted to a small cone shape.
  Thanks guys, now I'm back to work on the valance!