News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bought a running stock 1978 440 motor and need advice...

Started by tcs69rt, April 08, 2013, 11:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcs69rt

I live at 8500' elevation and am getting this motor out of Denver. Do they make a early throttle body inj system that adapts to a 440? Could I hit a junk yard and get one off a early Ramcharger? Trying to find some info, thanks! TC
"Life ain't easy when you rode the short bus."

Kern Dog

The throttle body setups were all based on 318 and 360 small block engines and used a 2 barrel type arrangement. No 440 was ever equipped withh a 2 barrel, so the throttle body wouldn't directly fit without some sort of custom fabbed spacer. Besides, the demands of the 440 would far outpace what the 318/360 throttle body was designed to do.
Several years ago there was a Holley setup based on a 4 barrel carburetor. I believe it was called "Pro-Jection".  There may be some still out there or listed on ebay. There are plenty of newer throttle body setups you can use, but they are all expensive. I take it that you were considering a factory setup to save money.
If you are determined to use this engine, there are sources to tune the ThermoQuad for high altitude operation. If you decide to use a Holley, there are ALL sorts of jets, air bleeds, chokes, and other parts to get the 440 running razor sharp. You WILL of course be limited to its tune....Once you drop into a lower elevation or climb to a higher one, you will be out of the sweet spot.

Chryco Psycho

Why not go to Multi port , Eddyhas the Victor intake predrilled with rails included or there is the Fast T body system

74Rallye

Try a turbo since you will already be at 8:1 compression unless you change the pistions.

Cooter

Turbo, boost, cast crank and pistons, and a two bolt bottom end, not a good idea. My  :Twocents:
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

HPP

Low compression 440, 8500' elevation, and TBI? I don't see the relationship.

At 6500' I could run 11:1, a small cam, and pump gas without issue. Unless it has replacement pistons in it, you mill is likely 8:1 or less. What you need is compression, and loads of it. The carb can be tuned to work at that altitude without issue.

1974dodgecharger

Or just put a blower on it and that evens out the low c.r.

GPULLER

It would probably live a long time with a turbo.  Unless you drive it like a mad man.  Be a lot of fun, have thought about the very same thing.

ACUDANUT

It's a smog motor. Tear it apart and "build" it right.

HPP

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on July 11, 2013, 12:26:20 PM
Or just put a blower on it and that evens out the low c.r.

That would do it.

The elevation just kills things. You guys at sea level have it easy with all the oxygen at your disposal. My 11:1 hot rod engine with a 280* cam would only crank 120 psi because of the elevation. I've since droped to a much smaller cam in the 230* range to get cranking pressure up into the 180 psi range. An 8:1 motor is going to be a total dog without either forced induction or some much improved squeeze.