News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Gear Vendors vs Keisler A-41

Started by 469 runner, March 27, 2013, 06:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

469 runner

Any one have any experience with either of these installations and use?  Looking to add an overdrive unit to make my 1968 Charger more highway friendy.  At present with 3.23 gears it is a comprimise I don't like.  It still runs hard with 550 lbs-ft of torque available, but I'm not enjoying spinning the engine 2800 rpm to keep up with traffic at highway speeds.  Never mind the noise and gas mileage.  Yes, I'm spoiled like everyone else with modern cars easiness on the highways.

The Gear Vendors is an add-on unit hanging off the back of the 727, (strange u-joint angles, slight modification to transmission tunnel) this unit runs about 3200.00  The Keisler unit using a GM four speed auto also requires some slight modification in the trans. tunnel, but does have the advantage of being completely computer controlled, (no kickdown linkage, more compact, and lockup torque converter).  This is a more expensive option being close to 4000.00.  But does include driveshaft for installation.

A lot of money involved and some modifications on the car that are not taken lightly as this cars undercarriage has been detailed and painted.

200MPH

The Gear vendors has a control box and can take some pretty serious power  1200 or so ? if I remember correctly the only mod to the tunnel was a slight bump that is not noticeable I think if you google mopar muscle Mag they installed one step by step in a 71 Charger
Charger

pandamarie

I have a Gearvendors behind my 727, in my 69 Daytona clone, didnt have to make any tunnel mods, it fit perfect and was quick to install, had to have a custom drive shaft made 36" long 4" tube with 1350 joints.

Chryco Psycho

bill440rt

I have a Keisler in my '69, & a buddy of mine has a GV in his '70 Charger. Both have their pros & cons IMHO.
My engine puts out 572lbs of torque, I went with the Stage2 Keisler unit that they said would be sufficient in handling that amount of torque.
The GV unit might be more cost effective if you are starting out with a running, driving car. You'd still have to take into account a torque convertor, driveshaft, and a trans cooler if you do not already have one. The price difference becomes less if you factor those items in. My friend also had to modify his exhaust as a GV will not work with most X-pipe exhaust systems.

My floor pans were also painted prior to my installation. I had to put one dimple in the tunnel, and bend over the firewall/floor pinchweld in two spots to clear the bellhousing. They give you a template where to make the mods (paper template that says "Strike Here!" Really!!) lol
Installation was very straightforward & simple, even for a novice like me as this was my first one. I had to set some initial parameters with a laptop, but from what I understand they now have a little computer add-on module gizmo that you can dial it in without using a laptop. I'm considering adding it in to my system.

Here's a thread back when I did the installation. Hope this helps you some.  :2thumbs:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,62840.0.html
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Kern Dog

If you have a solid 727 in the car, I'd side with the GV unit. I have one in the Charger with similar torque numbers.
The Kiesler trans is based on the GM 700 r 4, right? If so, the ratio spread on those  is weird. The first gear is a 3.06 and 2nd is 1.62... talk about falling flat on your face on the 1-2 shift! The trans may be able to handle the torque, but the 727 has been doing it for years with factory support. The Gear Vendors install required 2 small dimples in the trans tunnel to allow clearance of the OD unit. The U joint angles are only weird if you have a jacked up ass end like some trailer park tweeker. A stock height or lowered car will be well within acceptable angles.
Mine is set up with a dimmer swich type activator. I can shift into and out of OD at any time.  Another option to consider is the TCI 6 speed auto. Mopar Action magazine installed one in a 69 Road Runner. They loved it, but there was considerable fab work. They may have worked out all of the details to make it a bolt in like Kiesler by now. The advantage of more gears? The ratios of each gear can be closer to each other. This means that you can keep the engine operating in its "sweet spot"  longer instead of shifting at 6000 and dropping to 3500 when going from 1st gear to 2nd.

bill440rt

Not sure if the TCI 6-speed setup is ever going to be a true "bolt-in" deal. From what the article stated there was a good amount of cutting/fab work needed to be done to the trans tunnel & crossmember to get it to fit.
The GV/Keisler setups are closer to a true "bolt-in".
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Charger_Dart

I agree with Bill's comments. I put a Keisler 4 speed in my Charger and it was a pretty easy install. My 727 was in need of a rebuild, so it made more sense to me to go that route over the GV setup.
I have not noticed the 1-2 shift being a problem, the car runs great with this setup and when the lockup kicks in the rpms are really low on the highway. The newer main control module has nice dials you can make all your adjustments with. 
68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible

bill440rt

Quote from: Charger_Dart on March 28, 2013, 01:46:05 PM
I have not noticed the 1-2 shift being a problem, the car runs great with this setup and when the lockup kicks in the rpms are really low on the highway.

:yesnod:
Me too. From what I've read the OD gearing on the GV unit is not that great, either. People I've spoken with still wish for lower rpm's on the highway with the GV.

Brass

Quote from: bill440rt on March 28, 2013, 06:02:23 PM
Quote from: Charger_Dart on March 28, 2013, 01:46:05 PM
I have not noticed the 1-2 shift being a problem, the car runs great with this setup and when the lockup kicks in the rpms are really low on the highway.

:yesnod:
Me too. From what I've read the OD gearing on the GV unit is not that great, either. People I've spoken with still wish for lower rpm's on the highway with the GV.

Do they have 4:11 gears?  I think the GV OD is .78.  So a 3.55 would be 2.77 in overdrive.

469 runner

Thanks for all the input folks.  Seeing how the 727 transmission is fresh, and has many upgrades, it sounds like it would be more economically practical to use the Gear Vendors.  With the 3.23 rear I have now that would give something on the order of 2.60 gears in overdrive.

flyinlow

I considered both the GV and the Keisler before I went with the A518.

I like the GV unit ,it is stronger than the 727 you would be attaching it to. However it is a lot of work and expense for  only a .78 OD and no lock up converter.

The Keisler is a smallblock chevy trans beefed up to try to live behind a BB Mopar. It has a 3.06 first gear which is good and a .70 OD with lock up which gives the trans a wide ratio spread. I think it uses a proprietary control box,available only from Keisler. Not sure what the trans does when the controller goes bad. Limp home mode?

The TCI was not available when I decided on the 518, the six speed would be tempting.

All I want is everything.  3.00 first gear .50 OD, computer controlled with a manual paddle shift option in case of one the gear breaks I can drive home using the remaining operational ones. Probably need to play with chevys to get this. :brickwall:

Good luck with your choice, OD is a wonderfull thing. :2thumbs:

jb666

I'm pushing close to 750HP with my current setup, and my GV has been performing flawlessly the past two seasons. I highly  recommend them.