News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anybody dye their carpet?

Started by chargermick, February 18, 2006, 11:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargermick

I have a green carpet in the Charger that is almost new and I would like to try to dye it black. Has anyone tried this, if so what products did you use?

dkn1997

I did my 68 in black.  I used Pep Boys dye in a rattle can.  Came out perfect.  My car has original carpet and the only problem was that it faded on the tranny hump in the front and back and had a small slit on the drivers floor.  I did not even take any of the interior out, just masked it off real good.

aside from it being just a bit stiffer, I can't say a bad thing about it.  really looks great!!!
RECHRGED

jaak

a couple of guys I know in the detailing business tell me they use ritz(?) dye, you know the dye you can get to dye clothes and fabrics with, they say they mix it up in a bucket and use a brush to work it in, I have never tried it, but I do know that rattle canning will make it stiff, I have done that before.

Jason

dkn1997

it's RIT  (no z) and they actually sell it in the grocery stores here. can't see why that would not work very well also
RECHRGED

jaak

hey i think its RIT  dye not RITZ

later,
Jason

dkn1997

RECHRGED

Nacho-RT74

why not jusy replace it and sell your original green one on ebay for some big bucks ? :D

I BET somebody will wish it ;)

on earlier dates I would love to find an original Blue carpet down here no matter used but in good coditions ( when my interior was blue ), because original pattern wasn't available here anymore.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

68 RT

If you use a spray can dye after it dries use a stiff brush and brush it out. Then yopu won't get that stiff feeling. 

dkn1997

I happen to like that "stiff" feeling. ....um, are we still talking about carpet?
RECHRGED

Wakko

Quote from: dkn1997 on March 01, 2006, 06:59:36 PM
I happen to like that "stiff" feeling. ....um, are we still talking about carpet?

Gay-dar overload!!!

Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM