News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Priming aluminum?

Started by b5blue, March 26, 2013, 04:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

I need to paint the Tail panel trim and hood inserts on my 70 Charger. I found Rust-Oleum aluminum primer, has anyone tried it?  :scratchchin:

twodko

I haven't but I have heard that you etch aluminum rather than primer it as with sheet metal etc. That may be the gist of the Rust-oleum stuff. Sheet metal members will chime in on this. I'd also see what SEM offers for aluminum primer........I'd use SEM myself.  :Twocents:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Charger-Bodie

You can buy etch wipes from a good body shop or body supply store. Then you can use a normal primer , most spray bombs that claim to be etch aren't. If they had enuf acid to do the job in the steel can it would eat right through the can.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

elitecustombody

I would blast the part and use acid etch primer before paint or any other primer :Twocents:

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

b5blue

Dino

Tail panel trim is aluminum?  I thought it was ss...

Anyway, what they said.   :icon_smile_big:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Dino on March 27, 2013, 06:51:14 AM

I think he means the wide trim on a 70 Charger tail panel. Those are anodized aluminium.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Dino

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on March 27, 2013, 07:25:57 AM

I think he means the wide trim on a 70 Charger tail panel. Those are anodized aluminium.

Ah, did not know that.  Thanks  :2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

b5blue

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on March 27, 2013, 07:25:57 AM

Yea the trim panel, It's black mostly.  :2thumbs: