News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

trinity paint any good?

Started by Wicked72, March 23, 2013, 09:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wicked72

Well im broke as hell and i doubt its going to get any better for decades so im looking for cheap paint. i cant spend much but i obviously i do not want to spray crap on my car that ill be pissed about and stuck with. I want to paint my car in some sort of dark gun metal gray metallic. I found the trinity paint from paintforcars.com saw some reviews on other forums and no one said anything bad. Does anyone have some experience with that paint and maybe have some suggestions on a half decent paint and clear coat? btw the car will be driven the hell out of if i can afford the gas haha 
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

Wicked72

It will be ready for paint once i get my final coat of epoxy primer on. Im striping, epoxy primer, filler, high build, guide coat, then epoxy again if its straight. i use phosphoric acid in spots i cant reach with anything and weld thru primer on anything that will be lapped over and welded. so my prep work is good. ill  cut it in then bolt everything on and final paint and clear. Ive never painted a metallic before only solid single and two stage paints, i always color sand them which really helps reduce orange peel. can i color sand metallics? I only want to use a two stage on my car

Patronus

I would suggest one of those silvers with little flake. That's what makes it harder to make even.  :Twocents:
You know, like its been poured on..Like on the 70 protouring Charger with the challenger taillights. Even this though, spend some bucks. You'll be happier you did.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

RogerDodger

Quote from: Wicked72 on March 23, 2013, 09:50:04 PM
It will be ready for paint once i get my final coat of epoxy primer on. Im striping, epoxy primer, filler, high build, guide coat, then epoxy again if its straight. i use phosphoric acid in spots i cant reach with anything and weld thru primer on anything that will be lapped over and welded. so my prep work is good. ill  cut it in then bolt everything on and final paint and Clearwater . Ive never painted a metallic before only solid single and two stage paints, i always color sand them which really helps reduce orange peel. can i color sand metallics? I only want to use a two stage on my car

Sounds like you have a pretty good plan of attack. You shouldn't need to color sand the paint. Just the clear coat. Although I actually just did on a mirror I painted. The paint was old and spit out of the gun. I slicked it up with 400 and cleared it and you would never know it. I still think I would avoid it if possible. Let me ask you one question. With all the effort you're going through do you really want to cut corners on the paint? Also with the metallic be sure to move quickly and fan out a good pattern.  The metallic can show streaks or rows in the paint.

Patronus

It's a big car, and with a metallic you'll have a hard time getting a nice even b pillar. That's were I generally move from roof to side. Vinyl top guys got it easy.. I too wish I had spent more on paint.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

b5blue

I checked around quite a bit and am going to try Kirker paint.  :scratchchin:

Wicked72

I normally would not cut corners with the paint considering Ive spent the cash on everything for the prep. I just had twins and Ive got next to no money so I really dont have a choice. I think ill got with paint from eastwood. I know its good stuff and ya its costs a little more then the trinity. Ill got with a high solids clear to help cover the metallic well maybe throw on 3 or 4 coats before a cut and buff

elitecustombody

Check if any of your local paint stores carry Wandabase, Silver Sails or Matrix. Any of the three are priced well and offer results just as good as any big overpriced brands. Silver Sails is actually OEM finish on most Korean cars :Twocents: BTW, I use all three on regular basis. Have been using Matrix for probably 13-14 years without any problems and use it on 10k-up paint jobs   

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

b5blue

Quote from: Wicked72 on March 26, 2013, 06:05:13 PM
I normally would not cut corners with the paint considering Ive spent the cash on everything for the prep. I just had twins and Ive got next to no money so I really dont have a choice. I think ill got with paint from eastwood. I know its good stuff and ya its costs a little more then the trinity. Ill got with a high solids clear to help cover the metallic well maybe throw on 3 or 4 coats before a cut and buff
The buzz on the forums is Eastwood's is using Kirker as are Summit and others...

Pete in NH

I have a project 1986 Plymouth Reliant here that I'm planning on using Kirker single stage urethane on and clear coat it, so I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has used Kirker. I know many professionals don't care much for lower line paints and I can understand why they would not risk their reputation using them on a customer's car. But, it's hard to justify the price of top of the line paint on this car. I have seen the same thing that some of Eastwood's and Summit Racing's paint is relabeled Kirker. It seems that Kirker is aimed at the hobbyist market. Their tech. data sheets look very complete and I understand they have good technical support. I've also looked at PPG Shopline but, the tech. data seems very thin and I'm sure you won't get much tech. support. So, anyone have experience with Kirker?

If my 71 Charger ever gets repainted it will be top of the line PPG, but the original paint looks very nice yet and it's only original factory paint once!

elitecustombody

Quote from: Pete in NH on March 27, 2013, 09:00:08 AM
I have a project 1986 Plymouth Reliant here that I'm planning on using Kirker single stage urethane on and clear coat it, so I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has used Kirker. I know many professionals don't care much for lower line paints and I can understand why they would not risk their reputation using them on a customer's car. But, it's hard to justify the price of top of the line paint on this car. I have seen the same thing that some of Eastwood's and Summit Racing's paint is relabeled Kirker. It seems that Kirker is aimed at the hobbyist market. Their tech. data sheets look very complete and I understand they have good technical support. I've also looked at PPG Shopline but, the tech. data seems very thin and I'm sure you won't get much tech. support. So, anyone have experience with Kirker?

If my 71 Charger ever gets repainted it will be top of the line PPG, but the original paint looks very nice yet and it's only original factory paint once!

If you don't mind the millage that would be piled on. You have to understand that thickness of single stage paint job is equivalent to basecoat/clearcoat paint job, so spraying clearcoat on top of single stage paint is like 2-3 paint jobs  :Twocents: Read my previous post above if you want good quality paint that that I use on regular basis and best part, they are reasonably priced

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

b5blue

Good point, I noticed any place the primer or paint was too thick on my cars 1/2 ass old "race" paint job it failed and pealed off the car easily. Had I not all ready bought the Kirker you can bet I'd be bugging for more info on elite's picks!  :2thumbs:

DougMN

No kirker, no summit, no eastwood,no rustoleum, try wanda it has pretty good reviews or prospray.