News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I need a new floor jack

Started by Paul G, September 26, 2012, 10:07:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71charger_fan

I bought an assembled-in-U.S.A. OTC from toolwarehouse several years ago and it's been a great jack. It's similar to this one: http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/p-17150-otc-1525.aspx

FJMG

I would agree with the previous posters and recommend to locate a dinosaur on one of the various listings but I if you are definite on new then I will say what was posted above and add this;

By the time you buy a "new" one every couple years why not consider a hoist?

If you listen to how much some of us older guys "especially me" have spent on replacing cheap jacks, a hoist is not that much more expensive over time and servicing your car will be SSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOO nice! A real timesaver!

Of course, everybody you know will bring thier ride to perform service, so you have to set ground rules and request that they bring "fluids" to replenish your parched throat.

My whiskey budget has decreased significantly!

I personally have only purchased the "cheap" $80 jacks since the 80's and have had enough 8 years ago and bought a lift. Living in the salt belt, I am seriously considering purchasing another to mount outdoors so I can rinse the underside off before putting in the garage.

MrSnicks

I have the Arcan Jack sold at Northern Tool and couldn't be happier with it. You can get free shipping to any local North Tool store and they usually have it in stock. Sometimes it goes on sale so keep an eye out.

Patrick

Silver R/T

Quote from: Troy on September 27, 2012, 08:09:22 AM
Do any of these have a slow release? Every heavy duty jack I've had is very touchy and will drop a car immediately by barely turning the handle. I've gotten to the point of using bottle jacks to put my cars up on stands so they don't slam back down.

Troy

My craftsman has slow release, I had it over 6 years now and it works great
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

HPP

Quote from: FJMG on March 07, 2013, 07:48:54 PM

If you listen to how much some of us older guys "especially me" have spent on replacing cheap jacks, a hoist is not that much more expensive over time and servicing your car will be SSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOO nice! A real timesaver!

Thats a great idea of you have the clearance and space for one.

I used several of the cheapy Checker/Schucks/Kragan unit for about ten years. I finally decided to step up the game and got a real nice 5 ton Craftsman, it lasted about 15 years before it started bleeding down. It never leaked, never made any funny sounds, just wouldn't lift the full range when loaded and would bleed down when you cold get it raised to higher extensions. Finally the handle return spring broke a few summers ago. I'd like to rebuild since its a nice heavy dsuty unit, but I have't looked for any kits or thought an exchange. I've got a cheapy Harbor Freight aluminum unit I've been using the last five years with no problems but I exect it too will fail in the next few years. Oh, the two cheapies I bought from Checker in high school, they still work.

Now the bottle jacks used in my HF press tends to fail every 3-5 years. I've finally resorted to an old small bottle jack my grandfather bought about 40 years ago.

lukedukem

1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC