News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tires,looking for input on your experiences for daily drivers

Started by 69 OUR/TEA, March 04, 2013, 09:54:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69 OUR/TEA

My daily driver 02 Honda Accord is needing new tires,has Firestone Affinitys on it now,195/65/15,car gets around 28 MPG avg. from tank doing city/highway.So probably 30 or just over if pure highway.There is a Tire rack near me so will go there again to buy tires,they still have same ones but might want to change up for a diff set,mainly to try and increase gas mileage,as per all the hype now about LRR (low rolling resistance)tires.
Went thru from the bottom(cheapest) @ $54 up to $108 reading their reviews,and every single one is always a mixed bag of opinions.On each tire review,you'll get multiple high remarks,then some negative saying they would never buy again,even on well known tires ,WTH !!!!!
On certain brands with models of their LRR,read some reporting mileage went up,then of all things people reporting their MPG's went down.
Maybe some of you went thru this,so would like to see what tires some of you guys have had good luck with or can recommend by experience.

bakerhillpins

We have had Cooper CS4s on the dead body hauler (read minivan) for several years now and I personally like them a lot. They are summer tread and we swap over to snows in the winter so I don't use them all season. They are quiet (subjective) and do very well in wet weather. No issues with hydroplaning at all. We have gotten at least 30k (WAG) on them (van sees more mileage in the summer months, vacations etc.) and they are probably good for another 20-30 easy. I am planning on putting them on the econo-box this spring since I have chewed through the OEM tires on that car in under 30.

Not sure what that will do for you or not. They are not the cheapest in the shed and I don't do any indy or WRC driving in them so YMMV.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

dstryr

http://marktg.toyotires.com/file/18976.pdf

I went through 2 sets of Toyo Spectrums on a '95 Dodge Stratus I bought new.  The car came with goodyears which were ok, then I put on a set of Firestones which sucked, and then found these.  Great on snow, quiet on the highway and a great value, IMO.  I'd fill them to 44psi and maybe give them one rotation when the fronts started looking a little thin compared to the backs.  Of course to get away with that the alignment has to be dead on.  Great tires and I'd buy them again for my current car.  
dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights
Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Not available in all states. Some restrictions apply.

Cooter

My mother got 143K miles (Yep, you read it correctly) out of the original tires on her 1991 Toyota pick up truck she bought brand new.
She religiously rotated, and had tires pressure checked. Almost to the point of being anal about it. She had the alignment checked every other oil change. The dealer was her only source of repairs for the longest time. The dealer kept her old tires saying, they'd like to display them to prove what regular service can do for tires.

I don't always rotate mine when needed, but it does get done. You wouldn't believe how many cars come in today with NO OIL, let alone rotating tires. Front will be burnt clean up, and the rear cupped all to hell, wondering what that noise is at 70 MPH. DRIVING habits contribute to tire wear too...

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

bill440rt

Thanks for posting this thread, Paul. It couldn't come at a better time.  :cheers:
We'll be in the market for new tires this spring for my wife's '09 T&C, too. The original Yokohama's (which I rotate regularly every other oil change), are wiped out at 40K. They suck.
I'd like to find a nice, all-season set of replacement tires for it. I'd be interested in tire input, too. Time to start reading the reviews!  :scratchchin:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

69 OUR/TEA

Hey Bill,never thought of it,but ,yes,could make a good thread for all of us to share our experiences with tires,as we don't know those posting replys on Tire rack,at least here we know pretty much who everyone is.
That's why I've made this thread,the best high end tires out there on Tire rack usually has mostly positive remarks,but then you get those with negative comments,so now you wonder if you would be unhappy with choosing it.
I usually go with real life experiences from people I know.
With that said,the tires currently on my dd are the Firestone Affinitys,they've been on there for quite awhile,so wouldn't be the end of the world if I just went with those again(previuos owner put them on),but just looking to see if there is a better choice out there.The mpg's I'm getting fall right in there where it should be,but would be nice to put on a tire that could squeeze out more. 

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

odcics2

Michelin Harmony is a good one...  My old 2000 Neon had 'em and they were great in any weather.

My new 2013 Grand Caravan came with Yokohama tires, S33.  They are LRR type.  With 2000 miles on the van now, I am getting 27 on the highway, and that was with a load of parts..  Had nasty sleet, ice, 8" of snow and had no issues driving in any of it.   I was surprised - I expected issues from reading reviews on line.  I guess we'll see how long they last.....   

I know that if a vehicle comes with LRR tires from the factory, look for a drop in MPG if you go to a regular tire.  1-3 MPH highway from what I have heard guys at work say...
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Ponch ®

Ive been running Nexen tires on my daily driver '08 Charger with 22" wheels for about 3 years. They're way cheaper than the "big" brands (goodyear, firestone, kuhmo, and so on) and I've gotten more mileage out of them than I did out of the Dunlops I had before (45K  v.  about 30K). The ride quality is pretty good too. They are by no means the best tire with the latest MaxGripEconoFuelHorsepowerAntiSkid tread technology, but they're more than adequate for a daily driver and you cant beat the price.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

68X426

Two factors have significantly greater impact on your mpg than the tire: keeping the air in the tire and your driving habits. I know, obvious. But those 2 are much more important than the newest tech design that may get you some percent better mileage (all else being at maximum efficiency). In other words, the newest trick tire gives you 3-5% better mpg, but low air loses you 20% and poor habits might lose you 33%.

Having said that, I have had good success with Cooper tires (long life at a good price). Sorry, don't know the name of what's on my Mini, but they wear like iron. Trade off is that they are noisier than the softer (grippy-er) tires from the competitors.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

71ChallengeHer

I ran Kelly Chargers for years, good price and long wearing.  :shruggy:  plus, I got them for free at the garage I worked at. I told you good price.  :smilielol: 

bill440rt

Quote from: odcics2 on March 05, 2013, 04:50:22 PM
Michelin Harmony is a good one...  My old 2000 Neon had 'em and they were great in any weather.

My new 2013 Grand Caravan came with Yokohama tires, S33.  They are LRR type.  With 2000 miles on the van now, I am getting 27 on the highway, and that was with a load of parts..  Had nasty sleet, ice, 8" of snow and had no issues driving in any of it.   I was surprised - I expected issues from reading reviews on line.  I guess we'll see how long they last.....   

I know that if a vehicle comes with LRR tires from the factory, look for a drop in MPG if you go to a regular tire.  1-3 MPH highway from what I have heard guys at work say...

Those are the exact tires on my wife's T&C, Yokohama Avid S33's. A little over 40K now, & I don't think she's gonna make it with these tires before summer hits.
I was reading up on the Firestone Precision Touring tires, they seem to have very good reviews on Tire Rack. And, they're affordable too. Not surprisingly, the Yokohama Avid S33's didn't fare so well, but the Avid Ascend's had much better reviews.
Anyone with experience on those Firestones?  :scratchchin: :shruggy:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

odcics2

Quote from: 71ChallengeHer on March 05, 2013, 05:24:48 PM
I ran Kelly Chargers for years, good price and long wearing.  :shruggy:  plus, I got them for free at the garage I worked at. I told you good price.  :smilielol: 

"Midnight Auto Supply" ?     :cheers:       I know the place....     :2thumbs:

71ChallengeHer

Quote from: odcics2 on March 05, 2013, 09:26:31 PM

no, I used my car for a lot of the parts running. So , the deal was . I didn't have to pay for repairs or inspections on both of my cars. And one was my Mopar took to shows at that time .  :2thumbs:  Plus , I still got a paycheck .  :nana:   

moparstuart

Quote from: 71ChallengeHer on March 06, 2013, 10:11:47 PM

no, I used my car for a lot of the parts running. So , the deal was . I didn't have to pay for repairs or inspections on both of my cars. And one was my Mopar took to shows at that time .  :2thumbs:  Plus , I still got a paycheck .  :nana:   
I have this posted in the lobby of my salvage yard   
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Silver R/T

I'd go online to discounttire.com and read some reviews. I generally look for treadwear, higher the number- longer it will last.
I got a set of Falkens on my daily driver and they're supposed to last 65K miles but I only have put 22K miles on them and they're mostly worn, might last me this summer as by fall I would have to get some new tires.
Discount tire has been good to me and I'm sure I'll get some money back "prorated" when I get another set of tires.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

TUFCAT

Some of the Hankook tires as soft as cheese.  The original equipment Hankook's (19") on my 2009 Ford Flex wore out fast.

69 OUR/TEA

Got tires today,ended up going with Cooper Response Touring.I did not want a aggressive performance tire,but one to have easy rolling resistance for mpg's.Our 03 SXT Caravan has Cooper CS4 tourings on it and they are great,so with the experience with them decided to go with Cooper again on my dd Honda.Did check out Firestone store as they had a $50 off special on the same tire I am replacing,but after reading reviews on them,Firestone Affinity,more than a few responded about them having to constantly correct the wheel going down the highway after putting them on,geuss what,I can vouch for that as this Honda is/was doing the same thing,thought it was just front end from high miles,but no,after these Coopers went on today,car drives a lot different now.NTM,geuss that's why at Tire Rack they are marked down from $97 to $67 now.
The other Firestone,Precision Touring for $73 does look good,has good reviews,but after thinking about it,bought tires from a place that can install them,and NTM warranty them instantly if there is a problem.
Got the Coops from local Sears auto for $78 each,made in USA tire to boot.The CS4's were $105 each,but the tread pattern on the Response,to me,looks to be an easier rolling tire with a fifth bar in the middle.Supposably that's what makes a good mpg rolling tire.
Don't care if my mpg's do not go up,........just don't want them to go down !!  :eek2:
I avg just over 28mpg thru the whole tank being combined city/highway,as said hopefully stays the same.

odcics2

Quote from: moparstuart on March 07, 2013, 10:59:55 AM
Quote from: 71ChallengeHer on March 06, 2013, 10:11:47 PM

I have this posted in the lobby of my salvage yard   

Great sign!

should say: Open - Dusk 'till Dawn! :punkrocka: