News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Avoiding car theft

Started by vick79, February 23, 2013, 10:01:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aussiemuscle

Quote from: stripedelete on February 23, 2013, 07:31:25 PM
My concern is securing the car while traveling.  IMO the only way to protect against a flat bed, aside from only staying in B&Bs, is a tilt/ mercury switch that makes a hell of a lot of noise.  Are they still available commercially or do you have to make your own?
an alarm is only good if you hear it. nobody else will intervene. i have a gps tracker which will keep me updated with it's location. this is about the only way to track it once they have it on a flatbed.

chargermick

I read an article in one of the car mags a couple years ago that said, 80% of classic cars stolen, were stolen from their owners driveway or garage. Don't forget to make it as difficult as you can to get in the garage while you're at work.

mauve66

any house alarm should have a sensor put on the garage also, 90-120 sec delay allows you to get into and out of garage
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

1974dodgecharger

lasers, bombs, electric shock, guns, ammos, knifes, all the above I heard worked and also sleeping in the car would suffice.

Bob T

Also have a 1/2'' stainless hoop chemset into the concrete through the garage door with padlock  ;)
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Mike DC

QuoteI read an article in one of the car mags a couple years ago that said, 80% of classic cars stolen, were stolen from their owners driveway or garage. Don't forget to make it as difficult as you can to get in the garage while you're at work.

I'm actually surprised the number taken from the owner's place is only 80%.  I would think virtually all.  

Most classic cars are probably in their owner's driveway/garage 98-99% of the time.  And there are probably more of them in the 99% group than 98%.  (Seriously.  2% of a year is a week straight, or about 175 hours.  And we're not talking all old cars, we're talking the nice classics that are worth stealing.)  

And how many guys willingly let their old car out of their eyesight (or family's/friend's eyesight) for more than a couple minutes in public, besides at a car show?  

Besides the owner's residence there is virtually no other opportunity for thieves to get at them.  

4aThrill

I have a few kill switches one to the starter relay easy fix so they think second car dose not turn the engine over at all they are well hidden into the wireharness and the swithes are in very odd places but not so you have to strain yourself turning them on or off. also looking into the lowjack and also a seprate tracking device. thats just the easy switches I have I also have three switches that are dummies lol.

one other item I would like to put into the car they make mini cameras that fit just about anywhere just need a power source, I will have two power sources. they can be as small as a pin head. pretty sweet i say.

flyinlow

Mine disables the starter and ignition,makes a bunch of racket and sends me a short text message : HELP,BRING SIG.

Chargen69

Plum Crazy 68

I tell the thief my wife goes with it. :cheers:

mauve66

Quote from: flyinlow on March 01, 2013, 01:04:07 PM
Mine disables the starter and ignition,makes a bunch of racket and sends me a short text message : HELP,BRING SIG.

:2thumbs: :2thumbs:

need to add an audible inside the car that says "owner on the way with SIG"
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim