News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Where should I bolt on the chains to lift my hemi?

Started by rick, February 24, 2013, 09:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick

Where is a good spot to bolt the chains on to the hemi ? Should I do it in 2 spots or 4spots don't want to break anything

billschroeder5842

If you have an option, go for the 4 point hoist. You can lift from the four corners of the intake manifold. It will give you a nice apex in the middle of the chain so the engine does not get wobbly
Texas Proud!

Cooter

IIRC, And I'm NO HEMI Expert, but ain't those intake bolts like 5/16" bolts or something? I recommend something along the front and back of opposite heads with much larger bolts.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

BrianShaughnessy

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

hemi*guy

You should attach front lifting strap to front of left cylinder head and rear strap to rear of right cylinder head, remove carbs as so they don't get damaged.

Guy

ACUDANUT

I agree. I would never use the intake to drop or pull the engine.

dmann

intake bolts are only 1/4 20  do not use these---mopar would use the two end of the head bolts  [rf to lr]

rick

Thanks everyone took carbs off and rotor cap bolted on to the heads with grade 8 bolts worked great thanks again love this site :lol:

john108

Please excuse my jumping in here.
How would this apply to a 440 with trans attached.
The front intake manifold bolts go through into the side of the heads.
Right now I can't see where the attachment points should be at the back of the engine.
What are the recommendations for this engine assy.

JB400

There should be bolt holes on the back of the left bank.  The ones that would bolt up the accesories if the head was on the right side.  Those would be the holes to use.

john108

stroker400 wedge - That makes good sense.  I wish I thought of it. Thank you.

ACUDANUT

As long as your bolting into the heads (through the intake) you are fine. Just don't use the Manifold-carb section (middle) to do this.