News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Non halogen headlight bulbs

Started by twodko, February 14, 2013, 05:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twodko

I went out to buy 2 GE 4002 headlight bulbs to replace the outside 2 on my 69 Charger. No one seems to make non halogen bulbs anymore. Any ideas where I can buy non-halogen bulbs for my car?
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Cooter

Dang, I never heard of anyone actually WANTING "Sealed Beam" Headlamps till now.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

A383Wing

yea...sealed beams actually draw more power than halogens do

twodko

What I'm hearing is that a mix of non halogen and halogen HL's is problematic.

JB400

http://vintageautogarage.com/headlights.html

Pretty bad when the general autoparts store don't carry common items like this anymore.   :brickwall:

A383Wing

so change all 4 to halogen...you will have brighter lights and they will draw less amps

Bryan

twodko

resq302

I was able to get a set of highs and lows from my local auto parts store.  Think they are Wagner sealed beams.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

twodko

Hi Brian

I checked O'Reilly's and Napa auto parts.....no incandescent sealed beams available. I can get them through YO but......
I was under the impression that the old wiring in these cars didn't like halogen lights. I don't get it, halogens draw less current. :shruggy:

A383Wing

that's what I have been told. I have halogens in all my cars, for many years...still OE wiring in all of them as well..no issues

Bryan

resq302

Quote from: twodko on February 14, 2013, 10:58:21 PM
Hi Brian

I checked O'Reilly's and Napa auto parts.....no incandescent sealed beams available. I can get them through YO but......
I was under the impression that the old wiring in these cars didn't like halogen lights. I don't get it, halogens draw less current. :shruggy:

I was able to get it from the local Car Quest auto parts store.  Ill try to get the part number off the box when I get home from work in the morning.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

71charger_fan

I switched my '71 to halogens over 20 years ago.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Cooter on February 14, 2013, 05:33:25 PM
Dang, I never heard of anyone actually WANTING "Sealed Beam" Headlamps till now.

I Do
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: A383Wing on February 14, 2013, 11:16:25 PM
that's what I have been told. I have halogens in all my cars, for many years...still OE wiring in all of them as well..no issues

Bryan

relays is a BIG advice.

original wiring and terminals holds the load, but the switch is a big compromise
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

A383Wing

have not had to run relays either

resq302

So if I put in a relay, the headlights would be that much brighter with a halogen than what they are now?  Or would the difference not really be noticed.   Honestly, I don't do much driving at night.  Shows are usually during the day!
Brian

twodko

A relay takes the electrical load, then the switch becomes just a switch outside the load circuit.

resq302

so the relay just takes the load really, it doesn't help give more power or increase the brightness of the lights.
Brian

macca3441

Relays are an electro-magnetic switch, and if wired correctly, not only takes the load away from the switch, but also alleviates any voltage drop that is common with old wiring!

Wade