News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vacuum advance on a 440 6 pack question

Started by ottawamerc, January 28, 2013, 07:41:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ottawamerc

Hi Guys

Well good news is she runs and sounds sweet ;) Now I'm trying to set it up to get it somewhat stable so it will be able to break in.. Here's the numbers I have so far: idle set 940 rpm, manifold vacuum around 21"hg, initial timing set at 19*BTDC. with vacuum advance plugged.

Now when I reconnect the vacuum advance it advances a few degrees ??? I believe that there should not be any vacuum here until the engine is at cruise, I have the hose connected at the center carb on the port on the mixture plate.

Thanks again guys. 
This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

firefighter3931

Quote from: ottawamerc on January 28, 2013, 07:41:46 PM
I believe that there should not be any vacuum here until the engine is at cruise, I have the hose connected at the center carb on the port on the mixture plate.

Thanks again guys. 

On a 6 pack the vacuum line has to be connected to the metering block port/nipple and not at the baseplate. If the idle speed increases and the timing advances you are connected to manifold vacuum and not ported vacuum.

If this is a new build hopefully you broke the cam in properly  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

ottawamerc

Quote from: firefighter3931 on January 28, 2013, 07:52:07 PM
Quote from: ottawamerc on January 28, 2013, 07:41:46 PM
I believe that there should not be any vacuum here until the engine is at cruise, I have the hose connected at the center carb on the port on the mixture plate.

Thanks again guys. 

On a 6 pack the vacuum line has to be connected to the metering block port/nipple and not at the baseplate. If the idle speed increases and the timing advances you are connected to manifold vacuum and not ported vacuum.

If this is a new build hopefully you broke the cam in properly  :yesnod:

Ron

Thanks Ron

Yes it is connected to the metering block port, the secondary port is just behind it. And yes it is a fresh build and I am aware of the dreaded startup cam destruction so I asked the guy that built the engine to do the startup, we added break-in additive and it did start right away :2thumbs:
This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

firefighter3931

Hey Scott, welcome to the Charger board !  :wave:

Regarding the distributor issue ; try disconnecting the vac advance line and put your vac guage on the nipple to see if it's pulling any vacuum at idle. If it is, then you're using the wrong nipple.  ;) The other possibility could be an internal issue with the center carb.  :scratchchin:

You could try backing the idle speed down to 850 and see what happens.

Fwiw, i never use the vacum advance because it usually causes tuning issues with any performance cam.

Maybe you could outline the engine combination....

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

ottawamerc

Ok maybe I got it, I dropped the idle to 700 rpm and the vacuum dropped to 5"HG and not enough to pull in the advance :D I'm still surprised that I need to get the idle that low. :icon_smile_big:

firefighter3931

The stock vac cannisters start advancing at 15hg.....that's why i suggested lowering the idle speed.  :yesnod:

I'm still curious as to why that port/nipple on the center carb is showing a vac signal at idle ?  :scratchchin:

Ron

Sublime/Sixpack

Fwiw, i never use the vacum advance because it usually causes tuning issues with any performance cam.

Ron
[/quote]

Ron, just for my own reference at what specs. (approximately) do you consider a cam to be a performance cam?
Thanks
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

firefighter3931

Quote from: Sublime/Sixpack on January 30, 2013, 02:33:41 PM

Ron

Ron, just for my own reference at what specs. (approximately) do you consider a cam to be a performance cam?
Thanks

[/quote]

Any cam that produces less than 14in vac at idle. That's usually the case with cams ground on a tighter lsa (108-110) with ~230@.050 (or more) intake duration. The higher the overlap, the less idle vacuum it will have.

Ron

Sublime/Sixpack

1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak