News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How do I ....and what should I ..door panel

Started by brigond, January 27, 2013, 09:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brigond

How do I remove the upper door panel on my 1971 charger ? What do I do to make my very stiff drivers side window  move easier.
I have removed door panels that were attached with a plug like tab. Just pry them off and replace the plug. Is it the same way with a 71 charger panel?  I don't know what kind of clips hold them on.

Once inside ,what can I do to make the window move more freely. Lubricate? What do I look for?

Thanks
Mopars are like the Hot Wheel/Matchbox cars from when I was a kid ...  Bad A@@ and Cool!!!

My other hobby is practicing the ancient art of CLICK! POW!

brigond

Somebody has to know how to remove a charger door panel. Is it the same type of panel clips that hold the previous gen chargers.? I just need to know how to approach it....pry them off ? Any words of wisdom?  It's been many years since I owned a mopar.
Mopars are like the Hot Wheel/Matchbox cars from when I was a kid ...  Bad A@@ and Cool!!!

Ghoste

If you don't get an answer from one of the 3rd gen cognoscenti today I'll look in the fsm tonite.

ODZKing

Remove the decorative nut for the remote mirror and door lock knob. Then the top half prys off, yes same clips. Start at the bottom, one of the corners being careful not to tear the vinyl. It will look as if it is dangling ... push up and it should remove easily.
If you have a handle or strap on the door that will have to be removed first as well.
Then you will see 3 or 4 large screws at the top of the lower door panel. Remove those as well as the door handle and window handle. Pry the lower panel from the bottom starting at one of the corners. The clips go around the bottom and sides.
Once it's off you should see the regulator clearly.  Just use a heavy grease and grease the heck out of everything moving it up and down all the while. Couldn't hurt to start with some wd40 to get things started.
The old grease that they used gets old and hard after years of hot/cold.
Do you have a service manual? They are sometimes helpful.
Here is a shot. Be sure to hit the rollers and anything that moves including the spot where the window handle attaches.

brigond

Thank you, Im waiting on a neighbor to give me his old chiltons manual. I'll probably look on eBay also ..    Great details too . Its  Just what I needed to dig into it without the worry of causing damage while trying to improve.

ODZKing

Just be gentle with the panels and you'll be fine.  Here is what I believe you have. 
As I said gently pry at the  "X" 's.
You'll see the phillips head screws underneath on the top of the lower panel.