News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Long ram induction manifold on a 440?

Started by Lord Warlock, February 03, 2013, 01:58:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Warlock

Has anyone tried to install the long tube ram air system from an early 60s 413 on a 440? will it even fit?  My dad had the setup on his 413 300J and have always wondered if it would work on the charger or not.  Just finding an entire setup these days is hard enough, much less test fitting one.  Although it would be a good tribute piece if I could do it one day.  A dual quad low to mid range rpm torque manifold sounds interesting. 

LW
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

polywideblock

I've heard that their "all in " at 4500 or so

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

tan top

for the long tube ram intake manifolds ,  i'm pretty sure on a b-Body the passenger   side inner fender need to be cut & boxed directaly above the shock tower ,  to make room ! ,
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Cooter

Long and short "Ram" manifolds are NOT all they are cracked up to be as far as High RPM perfomance goes. The visual appeal is about the only thing they have going for them.

Plus, not to mention they cost out the ass. Last set I priced without all the linkages and crossover tubes was right at $800.00 just for the basic rams.

A friend with a 1960 Plymouth has a set on a 500 Stroker and the engine made over 600 HP with single Holley. With the rams, or course it made HUGE torque numbers, but cut HP dramatically.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Dmichels

Quote from: tan top on February 03, 2013, 06:09:19 AM
for the long tube ram intake manifolds ,  i'm pretty sure on a b-Body the passenger   side inner fender need to be cut & boxed directaly above the shock tower ,  to make room ! ,
I agree with you on that I remeber reading about it in one of the car mags The guy had to cut and box his PS inner fender. It did look very cool.
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

cdr

the long runner has 3 rpm ranges that the pulse helps,in the other rpm it hurts hp, you can see it in my dyno sheet the red lines are 22in long runners,the blue lines everything is the same except a 10in runner,the short runner made more peak hp but it would lose in a drag race,to make long runners work they still have to flow good & the old cross ram DOES NOT,i had a lot of fun playin on my dyno with my harley & learned a lot on runner length,the best set up would be a hilborn set up with EFI. ON THE DYNO SHEET the red is tq & hp for long & blue is for short.

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

C5X DAYTONA

Here is the ram set up on my 69 Daytona.   Had to cut the right wheel well.  Also had to modify intake bottoms (cut off.)  There was ZERO power above 4800rpms.   But, the fuel milage went from 14-15 mpg to 18-19 mpg. Go figure.  
Caution.... Low flying aircraft.

Lord Warlock

I wouldn't want to cut the inner fender just to make it fit, i would think that the engine bay of a 63 chrysler wouldn't be much wider than a 69 charger was, I looked at a 63 300 recently and it looked smaller.  800 for the manifold really isn't that much compared to other manifold systems (i.e. the six pack manifold/carbs/linkages)  From what i remember power was peak at around 4800 rpm, but that was also well within normal highway speed ranges.  I don't anticipate drag racing the charger any time in the future, i'll be happy to just get it back on the road and running correctly, the odd burnout etc,  but would have liked to have seen a long ram working on a charger, i know the short ram was designed for higher hp and higher rpm but never got that enthusiastic about the short ram manifold, i'd rather have a six pack than a short ram, but if a long ram could be polished or chromed, it'd be an eye opener at a show.

I do know that my mom had problems driving the 300j which was why he sold it, that and the fact that my dad kept getting tickets with it.  But it also was why i got into mopars to start with, i remember the day he brought it home, it was the first car we had with electric windows. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Cooter

One other thing one must consider when running the long ram manifolds is Lack of Hood clearance for air cleaners. The friend I mentioned with the '60 Plymouth?
Yep, had to cut the underhood bracing and move it in order to run aftermarket air cleaners.

HUGE difference between early inner fenders that UNBOLT, and later uni-body inner fenders....THIS is why they have to be cut. NO "Shock towers" in the early cars as the shock mount is on the frame. WAY smaller upper control arms, etc.

Yes, $800.00 doesn't sound like much compared to the rediculously overpriced "Six Pack" set up that runs about the same...Like sh*t.
Once you try and locate all the hard to find parts, you will have spent the same money for a comparible sh*t running set up, but it's your car. Go for it.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

C5X DAYTONA

Quote from: Lord Warlock on February 03, 2013, 03:08:03 PM
I wouldn't want to cut the inner fender just to make it fit, i would think that the engine bay of a 63 chrysler wouldn't be much wider than a 69 charger was, I looked at a 63 300 recently and it looked smaller.  800 for the manifold really isn't that much compared to other manifold systems (i.e. the six pack manifold/carbs/linkages)  From what i remember power was peak at around 4800 rpm, but that was also well within normal highway speed ranges.  I don't anticipate drag racing the charger any time in the future, i'll be happy to just get it back on the road and running correctly, the odd burnout etc,  but would have liked to have seen a long ram working on a charger, i know the short ram was designed for higher hp and higher rpm but never got that enthusiastic about the short ram manifold, i'd rather have a six pack than a short ram, but if a long ram could be polished or chromed, it'd be an eye opener at a show.

I do know that my mom had problems driving the 300j which was why he sold it, that and the fact that my dad kept getting tickets with it.  But it also was why i got into mopars to start with, i remember the day he brought it home, it was the first car we had with electric windows.  
IIRC the 300J had full metallic brakes too.  I have a 2 factory Ram 1960 Polara D500 Convertibles.   That Ram engine is my favorite engine on the planet.  Too look at.    I drive my red one quite often.  I've had that car 22 years.  Built the carbs once and 2-3 linkage and carb adjustments in the same period.   It's defiantly not a maintenance free set up but when you have all the correct pieces and understand the adjustments it's not a problem to own/drive.    Here is the YouTube video of it in action from Mopar Action.   And yes,  I do drive it like this often.    http://youtu.be/0LO-_2K1olE
Caution.... Low flying aircraft.