News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Disc brake rotors

Started by ws23rt, May 03, 2013, 09:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ws23rt

In 1980 I bought a pair of rotors from dodge for $112 ea. for my coronet project. I was just looking at prices on year one's on line site and the same thing is $160. So thirty years later and only 48 bucks more makes me wonder what do we get new these days. Are they like the original in quality? Have I kept a few pair these all this time for nothing? Have not looked for part numbers yet.

Cooter

Oh no, back then you bought a pair of good quality metal, rotors for $112. Most likely made right here in the US....Today, it will cost you $48.00 more for cheaper metal rotors that are made in China. Ain't it wonderful?
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

PlainfieldCharger

Quote from: Cooter on May 04, 2013, 07:40:59 AM
Oh no, back then you bought a pair of good quality metal, rotors for $112. Most likely made right here in the US....Today, it will cost you $48.00 more for cheaper metal rotors that are made in China. Ain't it wonderful?
Remember when we would actually have them cut :o Just a throw away item these days. If you want a good pair for your more recent vehicle I found that Napa's premium worked well for just under 100.00 each. Those suckers never warped on me!! :2thumbs:

Cooter

Quote from: PlainfieldCharger on May 04, 2013, 07:49:51 AM
Quote from: Cooter on May 04, 2013, 07:40:59 AM
Remember when we would actually have them cut :o Just a throw away item these days. If you want a good pair for your more recent vehicle I found that Napa's premium worked well for just under 100.00 each. Those suckers never warped on me!! :2thumbs:

Well, see the real problem with "Cutting/Turning" rotors today is, if the dumbass driving that vehicle warped the rotors at nominal thickness, then turning them will only make it worse by making them thinner and they are SURE to come back warped again and again and again. People today do not drive the same as they did back then. Really has nothing to do with the quality of the metal as I can get pretty good service out of even the cheapest rotors... Today, they are driving at insane speeds, get all kindsa pissed when they get a ticket for something like 80 MPH in 65MPH zone, "jackrabbiting" between stoplights as if that fraction of a second is gonna make or break them, etc. No, "Cutting" rotors today is bad business. You are All but CERTAIN to have a come back.

Besides, would YOU pay 1/2hr labor PER ROTOR to use that $6K Snap On Brake lathe to turn your old rotors, only to have them warp up again in 2 months?
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"