News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

RUNNING HOT

Started by ALBSURE1091, March 24, 2013, 09:07:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALBSURE1091

I have a 69 Charger A/C car with 318. She running hot and I cannot figure out why. Checked all the basics with no luck. Water circulating cause both upper & lower radiator hoses are hot after driving for about half hour. Should both heater core hoses be hot as well ? Both hoses are not hot at all. She not overheating so to speak just running hot where antifreeze comes out of overflow hose when I shut her down. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Charger-Bodie

Do you have the radiator overfull?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Indygenerallee

What is the actual coolant temp?
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

68X426

Welcome aboard ALB. Is that your car in the avatar pic? Awesome red and white. Hope it is. More pics please.

How long has it overflowed? After every drive? For weeks, months?

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on March 24, 2013, 09:42:42 AM
Do you have the radiator overfull?

:iagree: Should be approx 1" below the fill neck to allow for expansion....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

ALBSURE1091

Yes that the one. It's actually orange but depending on the angle it can look red too. Thanks. The fluid level is right where it should be. Runs at about 180 to 200 Degees. Everytime I drive it the overflow will spill fluid once I shut her off. Just a hose hanging off side of radiator. No canister back then I guess. I had put a temporaary one there just to catch the fluid but it fills up real fast. Heat not working so I was thinking maybe the heater core is blocked? Both heater hoses do not get hot at all. Thanks for all the replies and help
Al

Just 6T9 CHGR

Ok What PSI cap are you running?  Should be 16psi...also whats the condition of the cap?

Heat not working?   Hmmm...possible the system is air bound then.  Put full heat on & run the car without the cap for a while to see if it burps.

PS---good looking ride :thumbs:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Cooter

How's the fan shroud? Is it there? How's the fan clutch? How bout Thermostat? Radiator new? Did YOU build that car, or just "Buy-it-now"??
If you just bought it, then that may be why it was sold.

After checking the basics, Next is a compression test to check for blown head gasket,cracked head/block...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

bobs66440

Quote from: Cooter on March 24, 2013, 12:44:51 PM

After checking the basics, Next is a compression test to check for blown head gasket,cracked head/block...
That was my first thought, but I would have the radiator flushed and make sure there's no plugged tubes first.

ALBSURE1091

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on March 24, 2013, 12:43:11 PM
Ok What PSI cap are you running?  Should be 16psi...also whats the condition of the cap?

Heat not working?   Hmmm...possible the system is air bound then.  Put full heat on & run the car without the cap for a while to see if it burps.

PS---good looking ride :thumbs:

Thanks! Burps? Not sure what that means. Have a 16 PSI cap. Looks ok but for the cost I will replace it. Thanks for the help

71ChallengeHer

You will see it burp, if  you have an air pocket.  :2thumbs: