News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

AMD Roof question

Started by Monziac, January 06, 2013, 09:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monziac

Ok, so I have the old roof off, everything cleaned up etc and I have placed the new skin on. It seems to fit well, except where the sides fit into the drip rails? Its like 1/8" short..... It takes a lot of force to get it down and distorts the metal. Its hitting the frame in all the right spots. My question is have others experienced this issue? Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Jon

Ryan

69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

Monziac

Yes, will get it tomorrow AM.

charger_fan_4ever

Mine the edges of the skin were too wide had to trim a bit off both sides to get it to fit. The skin wanted to heave up on the the front/rear roof bow out in the middle of the bows.

Monziac

Yes, mine was like that too, I had to take off about 1/16" on each side to solve that. It almost seems like the drip rails are too low, but they aren't.... I guess I need to try and understand where it us hitting, but it is just about to sit on the roof brace without clamping down. Once clamped it will sit on the brace just right.

charger_fan_4ever

Mine it had to be clamped down quite well. Used the bonding glue for the sides and welded across the tops of the front/rear windshield channels.

Oh yes just remembered had to clearance the inner rear C pillars up near the top roll as they were holding the skin up slightly.  Skin didn't fit quite right in that area. Nothing a block of wood and a hammer won't fix  :cheers: Didn't need a whole lot.

Monziac

Ironically that is where mine is high also. After reading your post it might be hitting the frame there. I have lots of wood and bfh's so I might have to take up carpentry.  Your roof looks good!

Thanks,
Jon

Chargen69

mine fit pretty good all over except the driver's side drip rail, my friend who is doing the resto on my car had to stretch the crap out of the metal to get it to drop in,  i called amd just to let them know it, and of course they said it was probably installed wrong, uh no, it wasnt, we even went so far as to brace the car before taking of the roof skin, even though it was just the skin

Ryan

for those who have installed the skins how do your moldings line up with the roof for the front and back glass?

2014 viper TA

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: Ryan on January 07, 2013, 11:08:14 AM
for those who have installed the skins how do your moldings line up with the roof for the front and back glass?

Suprisingly good. The top of the rear window frame trim fit good. Just the usual AMD 1/4 to dutchman problem at the lower rear corners. Front trim fit quite well too with the new windshield and gasket.

Monziac

Turns out, the roof is a hair too narrow. I had to use the impact hammer with a blunt end and slightly push in the edges of the frame where the drip rails attach. Its starting to fit better. I do need to hammer down the c-pillar a tiny bit to get the roof to slide back 1/16". I still say this roof is a very nice part. My top was soooooo rusty, I dont have good reference points.

charger_fan_4ever

After skining the whole car i'd say the best fitting piece was the 1 piece trunk pan, it fit like a glove. Followed by the roof skin, then the one piece front floor and rocker panel. All the rest of the parts either the quality of the stamp was poor or just didnt fit and needed a fair bit of reworking for the price you pay for the parts.

Still all in all Amd is light years better than the other china stuff previously available.

Monziac

Good to know. I need a trunk too, but I am wondering if I can fit a 1 piece trunk in from the top? It looks like the only way in is from the side through a 1/4 panel. AMD has done a good job on this, and I have read from others who agree. Lets face it, even on the assembly line they had to pry and hammer.

charger_fan_4ever

I believe some have also fit the 1 piece threw the back if you have to change the rear valance or tail panel. It won't fit down threw the trunk opening though.

Monziac

Looks like its 2 pieces for me then. My valance and tail are super nice. Thats ok, but welding something like that isn't too bad. Wsrpage isn't so critical in the trunk...... You have been a lot of help, Thank you!

Jon

Ryan

Quote from: Monziac on January 08, 2013, 10:05:40 AM
Looks like its 2 pieces for me then. My valance and tail are super nice. Thats ok, but welding something like that isn't too bad. Wsrpage isn't so critical in the trunk...... You have been a lot of help, Thank you!

Jon

I would only use the 2 piece as a last resort. How bad is your trunk? If its only the center that needs to be repaired then I would buy the 1 piece and section it in between the frame rails. :Twocents:

2014 viper TA

Monziac

It needs the whole trunk. I am pretty good at butt welding, just prefer not to. However I am not removing the body panels to get it in. 2 pieces will work. Thanks!

Charger-Bodie

Id still get the 1 piece floor. You can cut it in half  and but weld it back together once its in there. The 2 piece ones. Don't fit eachother good at all.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Monziac

That is good to know! You would think they use the same die stamp, but I guess not? That does chang things....... I appreciste the info. This is my first old Mopar, so learning.....

Thanks,
Jon