News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Engine and trans in together

Started by Dmichels, January 07, 2013, 08:12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dmichels

I have read you can put the engine and trans in as a unit on 68 Chargers I have had them out and in seperatly but never atempted to put them in all at once. This is a 4 speed car. I have a load leveler. Any tips? Jack the car up? I am not new to cars but I have a limited window as I need to do this outside, and want it to go as smooth as possible.
Thanks Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

Charger RT

I don't have a leveler but I just get it set on an angle and drop it in. I get a floor jack under the tail shaft and jack it up as needed as it goes back.
Tim

RIDGERACER383

I put my 383 and 727 TF in together with no issues.Make sure to remove your radiator for more room and so you don't damage it.also put a small floor jack under the car to catch the tail shaft so you can raise it up a little so it don't hit the ground.I didn't jack my car up but you can to have more clearance.
1968 Dodge Charger 383 4bbl / 8.75 Rear 3.55

Dmichels

68 440 4 speed 4.10

Cooter

Works a WHOLE LOT BETTER with at least two people with a 4-speed. I have done it both ways and it's 6 to 1 half dozen the other.

I do find for me it's easier to drop in as a unit then you don't have to fight the trans in underneath, as well as having the engine pulling on the rubber mounts until trans is in.

Once engine is in the car, you will need someone else under car with floor jack to raise the trans so the crossmember can be bolted up.

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Dmichels

I am getting too fat and old to roll around on the ground and try to plug the trans into the motor. I will drop it in from the top. I may even take some pics during the beer brakes and post them here
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

RIDGERACER383

1968 Dodge Charger 383 4bbl / 8.75 Rear 3.55

Dmichels

Just did it. Load leveler made it go fast. The only f'up was I had the shifter installed. You need that extra few inches to make it go really smooth
68 440 4 speed 4.10