News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

torque converter help

Started by Alan73Charger, May 19, 2016, 09:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan73Charger

I'm planning on a new torque converter soon.   ACC performance Boss Hogg most likely with either a 1600-2200 stall or 2200-2800.   My cam has a 1000-5200 rpm range.  I was told to get a converter with a stall around 500 more than the lower number in the RPM range of the cam.  Is that a good rule of thumb?

Does anyone know if I need the weighted version of the converter?  My transmission is 904.  My 318 now has the upgraded cam, performance intake and 1406 carb.  Car has straight back duel exhaust coming off the original stock manifolds  but headers and H pipe coming soon.  I think it was just the 360 engines that have the external crankshaft balance and the larger balance weights welded on the torque converter.   Can anyone confirm?

Thanks!
Wife said spend more time with me and less time with that Mopar.
I actually love being single!

crj1968

As far as I know your 318 would be internally balanced. There were externally balanced 340's and 360's at the time, but I don't think 318's.  :scratchchin:

You could tell easy enough by looking at your harmonic balancer you have now.

Does your balancer look weighted to one side or just a plain circle?

Also what kind of driving do you do? I just sold a duster with a 318 in it that had a 2500 stall.
The car didn't really make a lot of power, was a great driver but the stall was kind of pointless actually.  It all depends on what you want to do I guess.

Alan73Charger

Quote from: crj1968 on May 19, 2016, 11:31:14 PM
As far as I know your 318 would be internally balanced. There were externally balanced 340's and 360's at the time, but I don't think 318's.  :scratchchin:

You could tell easy enough by looking at your harmonic balancer you have now.

Does your balancer look weighted to one side or just a plain circle?

Also what kind of driving do you do? I just sold a duster with a 318 in it that had a 2500 stall.
The car didn't really make a lot of power, was a great driver but the stall was kind of pointless actually.  It all depends on what you want to do I guess.

Yes my balancer is just a circle.  Had you done any HP upgrades on the duster?  I didn't know if the addition of the better lift cam, headers, and the four barrel would warrant a need for a higher stall.  I'm not even sure what the stock converter would be.  I'll be doing some transmission upgrades soon so thought the converter would be an easy upgrade and help give the car a little more punch.  Saying that it's just a cruiser for me so maybe the stock converter is all I need?

crj1968

My duster had a the usual bolt ons. intake / 4bbl headers and lumpy cam.  The previous owner built up the 727 with the 2500 stall as he wanted to eventually put a small block stroker in it.

I have the stock converter in my Charger (383)

I don't see a reason to throw $$ at a stall converter on a driver car. Maybe that's just me. 

c00nhunterjoe

It sounds pretty much stock. No need for a looser converter. Besides that, most stock converters on a stock engine are around 2000 anyway.

Alan73Charger

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on May 20, 2016, 01:24:59 PM
It sounds pretty much stock. No need for a looser converter. Besides that, most stock converters on a stock engine are around 2000 anyway.

Perfect.  That's what I needed to know!  I'll just keep the current converter.  Would you say money would be better spent on the gears?  Stock now.  I believe that was 2.74?  I've looked at both 3.21 and 3.55.  I have the stock 10 bolt 8.25 inch rear end.

crj1968

Again, depends on what you want to do. I've got 2.94's in my car.  When people hear that they go;  :rotz:  or  :hah:  or   :shruggy:  or even   :slap:

But I like to get on the freeway and go 70 at a low RPM. I don't do any light to light racing or any of that so for me it's perfect.  Even with 3.55's I can't stand being on the freeway...with my motor all wound up. 

If I get in a race with the 2.94's it's best to start that race at a rolling 50 mph.   :icon_smile_big:

So it's all a matter of personal preference.  I think a 3.21 or 3.23 is a good split the difference gear.

Alan73Charger

Quote from: crj1968 on May 20, 2016, 02:45:12 PM
Again, depends on what you want to do. I've got 2.94's in my car.  When people hear that they go;  :rotz:  or  :hah:  or   :shruggy:  or even   :slap:

But I like to get on the freeway and go 70 at a low RPM. I don't do any light to light racing or any of that so for me it's perfect.  Even with 3.55's I can't stand being on the freeway...with my motor all wound up. 

If I get in a race with the 2.94's it's best to start that race at a rolling 50 mph.   :icon_smile_big:

So it's all a matter of personal preference.  I think a 3.21 or 3.23 is a good split the difference gear.

I like your thinking.  Just 70 on the highway though?  I would get ran over here in MO.   Better at least be doing 75.   :2thumbs:

crj1968

Quote from: Alan73Charger on May 20, 2016, 09:44:03 PM
Quote from: crj1968 on May 20, 2016, 02:45:12 PM

I like your thinking.  Just 70 on the highway though?  I would get ran over here in MO.   Better at least be doing 75.   :2thumbs:

I find the slow lane relaxing.   :icon_smile_big: