News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's This Knob Do?

Started by Kangerman, December 16, 2012, 09:01:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kangerman

I've recently started restoring a 70 SE AC car with a 383 magnum. There's a white knob mounted under the dash, next to the speaker volume. When I bought the car, I assumed it was some add-on that maybe ran to the after market, non-functioning horn. The car ran and drove (sort of), so I didn't worry too much about it. While taking the pedals out to work on the rusted out floor, I broke it with the back of my head and decided to investigate it's funchtion. It's attached to what appears to be a throttle cable that runs through the firewall, enters the engine compartment adjacent to the brake booster, wraps around the carb, and ends with a linkage that's not attached to anything. The hole in the firewall looks like it's punched, not drilled and supposed to be there. Does anyone have any ideas what this is?

Thanks,
Karl

JB400

Choke cable would be my guess.  Underhood pix would back it up.

Ghoste

Yeah, aftermarket choke is almost certainly it.  Definitely not a factory one.

Kangerman

Oh yeah. I bet that's it. Thanks.

chargd72

Could it be an air vent cable?

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

Ghoste

Possibly but not likely.  The stock location for the right vent cable is a little more to the left of whats shown in the photo, under the ignition switch.  It is possible that the stock one broke and someone rigged this up in its place to somehow hook up to the vent door but the more favored money is on the choke.

Kangerman

I took the air vent out a couple of weeks ago. I think it's most likely a choke. I can post more pics if anyone's interested. The car started life in central Illinois, so it would make sense to have it for cold weather.

RECHRGD

Yes, definitely a choke cable.....
13.53 @ 105.32

maxwellwedge

What does this knob do?

Man - Am I tempted to post a pic of an Ontario politician......but, that's not allowed.  :lol: