News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 ez 1 heads, MW intake.

Started by idahogrumpy, March 12, 2013, 07:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idahogrumpy

I have a set of 440EZ1 heads that I Have installed on my 440 engine. These heads have the max wedge ports. I need to know if the Mopar performance intake manifold with the max wedge ports will fit this combination or am I stuck with the Indy $$$ intake? I am concerned with the bottom of the Mopar intake interfering with the heads. Anyone done this? Anyone have a used intake that will fit this combination?
Thanks, Kyle.
Too much to say
Too much to do
Too tired to get it done
Too stubborn to give up
GRUMPY
Modified 73 440 Charger, 03 Intrepid SXT, 02 Neon and 2001 Ram 1500 .

oldschool

any max wedge size 440 manifold will fit those heads. depending on goals and combo, there are alot of options.
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

idahogrumpy

Old school, I would like a decent flowing manifold that fits with out a lot of headaches. I am not familiar with the Max Wedge port manifolds to really know what to look for. In all honesty I should have left my 906 heads on that 440, the change over has been a real pain in the azz. (Free Heads!) Then one thing leads to another. Right now I'm just trying to get the thing up and running again and really just need to find something that fits and runs.
Thanks for the reply, Kyle. 
Too much to say
Too much to do
Too tired to get it done
Too stubborn to give up
GRUMPY

oldschool

kyle, the ez heads are light years ahead of 906 heads. better in every way. depending on your combo and goals, that would dictate which manifold. are you sure it has the bigger max wedge ports? if so, a very good dualplane is indys 440-2d. it can be opened up to max wedge size, or left to the stock size. that would be the best street/strip manifold. i have a few of them myself. mopar has a nice singleplane, the "337". i have some of these too. both are good manifolds. mancini racing has both. and best of all, both will fit under a stock hood.

not knowing your combo, you cant go wrong with the dualplane :Twocents:
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp

firefighter3931

On a 440 based build with EZ1's the ICH dual plane is the best choice.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

idahogrumpy

Ok, I do not seem to be communicating very well here. I have several 440 intakes around, the problem is the stock port 440 manifolds will not cover the MW intake port. I have a Holley street dominater and an old Torker. I have built a valley cover plate, works good but will not allow the Torker (bottom of intake will not clear plate) to fit and the Dominater simply will not cover the port. Need some part numbers here to go on the hunt for. Need to know for sure if the manifold I end up with will fit.
Kyle
Too much to say
Too much to do
Too tired to get it done
Too stubborn to give up
GRUMPY

Cooter

http://indyheads.com/images/price2012.16.pdf

You gotta go with a GOOD intake when running Indy heads bro....Google is your friend here. :2thumbs:
Based on what you describe, I can bet after all the "PITA" work, your combo will run WAY better than your old "906" combo ever did. It'll be worth every minute if you have your combo set up right.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

mauve66

maxwedge ports need a maxwedge intake, regular intake won't make it, ever
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

oldschool

the two heads i recomended, i gave part numbers for. the indy dualplane is 440-2d. the mopar singleplane "337". the 337 is a partial part number. tell mancini 337 when you call, they will get the right one.

on the 337, you will have to port match it. it comes alittle under sized. on the dualplane, you have to tell them " max wedge size". it comes both ways.
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp

4cruzin

Let me look to see what I used . . . I have the same heads with the Max Wedge port and I bought an intake and had it ported to match.  My biggest concern was getting an intake that would sit low enough for me to keep my stock hood.  Been a few years and I don't remember which intake I bought . . . . sorry
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

idahogrumpy

Hood clearance is not really a concern for me as I have a hood scoop already. So from what I gather here is that a Max Wedge type intake will bolt up with out interference with the intake rails or flat cover plate that is over the valley?
I am looking at this intake, I am concerned about it bolting down correctly. With this intake I will remove my valley cover. I am sure that it will bolt in at the intake ports but I am worried about the intake rail area.
I wish someone around Boise Idaho had a max wedge intake for me to set on there so I would know where my problems are going to be. I do not want to buy an intake just to turn around and try and sell it. Right now in my life a couple hundred bucks is really tough to come by.
Kyle
Too much to say
Too much to do
Too tired to get it done
Too stubborn to give up
GRUMPY

idahogrumpy

I do not want this!
Too much to say
Too much to do
Too tired to get it done
Too stubborn to give up
GRUMPY

oldschool

Quote from: idahogrumpy on March 15, 2013, 12:44:41 PM
I do not want this!
that is the only way to use that intake with the indy valley plate. that is how 3 of my motors are. it fits, no problem. the indy dualplane does not have a plate made on, like the 337 does. on the dualplane, i had to trim the heat crossover alittle. but, my block and heads have had alot of milling....
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp

idahogrumpy

So I would leave my valley cover on with this set up? I was not sure this would work.
Thanks for all of the reply s.
Kyle
Too much to say
Too much to do
Too tired to get it done
Too stubborn to give up
GRUMPY

4cruzin

Well I just went and looked and I have an Indy intake with Max Wedge ports . . . .  :2thumbs:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

oldschool

Quote from: idahogrumpy on March 15, 2013, 01:56:25 PM
So I would leave my valley cover on with this set up? I was not sure this would work.
Kyle
yes, to use the 337 manifold, you would leave your indy valley plate on. it really is not a problem :Twocents:
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp

firefighter3931

Quote from: oldschool on March 15, 2013, 05:49:42 PM
Quote from: idahogrumpy on March 15, 2013, 01:56:25 PM
Kyle
yes, to use the 337 manifold, you would leave your indy valley plate on. it really is not a problem :Twocents:

:iagree:  That's how mine is set up.....see pic below  :scope:

On a 440 based build i would leave the manifold alone and not worry about port matching. Mine wasn't port matched and it moved enough air/fuel for 700+ Horsepower. If hood clearance isn't an issue as you say i'd also be tempted to use a tapered 4-hole spacer to increase signal to the boosters.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs