News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Charger rear spoiler

Started by J-440, December 06, 2012, 08:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J-440

We all know that a 69 Camaro chin spoiler fits real nice under a 2nd gen Charger.  Is there any rear spoiler (factory or custom) that's adjustable or not that looks like it belongs on the deck?  And with the ducktail that's already on the 2nd Gen, would it even be worthwhile?  Just wondering.
68 R/T, 440/727 6-speed, SC G-machine...black suede

68X426

No and No.  :Twocents:

Create a poll for these questions and I think you'll find out it's all no-no's. Why mess with a great rear end body design?

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

J-440

Just seeing what will and won't work.  Running track days and sticking the rear to the ground for more grip not to mention style is always an improvement.  Don't want to mess with the body too much cuz like you said, it is a beautiful shape.

squeakfinder

I always felt the trunk lid's lip was a subtle spoiler itself. Of course there's always the Daytona wing. Changing the basic design of a second generation would be like modifying Mozart's music.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

Lennard

Quote from: J-440 on December 06, 2012, 08:31:33 PM
Just seeing what will and won't work.  Running track days and sticking the rear to the ground for more grip not to mention style is always an improvement.  Don't want to mess with the body too much cuz like you said, it is a beautiful shape.
At speeds under 70 - 80 mph a spoiler does nothing for your car other than looks. :Twocents:

J-440

Agreed but we do have the Texas mile and in Uvalde we have the 8 mile oval test track from Continental Tire.  Not to mention a few other road courses where speeds are much higher than 80mph. :2thumbs:

Dino

Unless you hit 150 mph+ I doubt the spoiler will do you any good.  The grille and recessed rear window will mess up your time more than anything else though, these things get airborn at high speed.

I haven't seen one that improves the body in the looks department, but it would likely be just about what you're looking for.

'The Colonel'.  Yellow 69 with a black spoiler.  That might actually be a '70 Go wing

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,73436.0.html 

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

charger_fan_4ever

NO spoilers on a 2nd gen please.   :nono:

Unless its a daytona or clone.

I'm a 70 guy and can't even do the go wing.

bill440rt

Def not a Go-Wing on that car. The styles actually changed in '71.

Spoilers were optional on '70's, but I prefer them without.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

JB400

They look good without, but I think if you made one up like the 1st gen that bolted on the back of the decklid, it'd look alright.

Dino

Quote from: bill440rt on December 07, 2012, 10:36:24 AM
Def not a Go-Wing on that car. The styles actually changed in '71.

Spoilers were optional on '70's, but I prefer them without.

You're right.  Is this a go wing?

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Troy

Not to mention sticking a spoiler to the trunk will first compress the trunk seal first and possibly buckle the trunk if you actually get any real down force. I did some calculations a while back and it's really hard to get a lot of benefit from the factory style width/depth rear wings. Any more and you'll need braces to the frame like the Daytona had.

There are pictures floating around the internet of an open road race car (68 or 69) from a while back that used the straight up "spoiler" looking thing - but it also had a 69 500 rear window and flush grill. That's probably the best bet for a race car and may even be slightly adjustable. If you could find a way to mount it through the "eyebrow" trim holes you could make it removable.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

J-440

I've seen the adjustable aluminum wing found on typical Pro-Touring cars racing on road courses across the U.S. Lateral-g and Pro-Touring.com websites are a good source.  Your typical Camaros and Chevelles... but no Chargers.  I believe the 1st gen Charger had a wing option in 67 which involved a simple flap. 
  Now, these NASCAR drivers in 68 were running 170+ without a wing spoiler with a HEMI and a 4 speed and putting out around 550-600HP.  Just imagine the same car with a 6 speed and 800HP with an adjustable wing and modern suspension technology.  You gotta be kidding me that nobody's tried this on our Chargers.  How about Angry Mike and his 68?  Also, there is a member on here that drives a 3rd Gen flat out on courses like the Silver State.  There are generic wings out there but there are no companies that make adjustable wings for our 2nd Gens?

Homerr

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on December 07, 2012, 09:30:17 AM
NO spoilers on a 2nd gen please.   :nono:

Unless its a daytona or clone.

I'm a 70 guy and can't even do the go wing.

This.