News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rarity?

Started by Drache, July 25, 2005, 07:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger Steve

If this is true then I am surprised to say the least. I have a lot of information on the 68 Charger and all of the sources of info I have says that the slant six was not an option untill 1969. I am not an "expert" so if this is so then I stand corrected. By the way why would 920 people order a car like this with a six cylinder? They could have got the Coronet cheaper.
Charger Steve

Chad L. Magee

Well, I think I can step up to the plate to answer this one.  The 1968 Chargers were offered as /6 cars, but not widely advertised as such.  Why would you order one, welll....  If you wanted good MPG, dependability (remember /6s are tough to destroy), cheap insurance, a car with good style but low on HP *(think kids and grandma cars)*, and the occational racer who wanted the cheapest body he could get his hands on so that he can modify the car the way he wanted to.....  GG white books are quite wrong on the 1968 /6 Charger production numbers on the manual cars (in particular).  Believe it or not, the 1968 /6 Charger was the most common year of /6 Chargers for many years onward.  You typically find many more 68s than 69s, and 70s are very rare, and I don't know on the 71s (I've yet to see one).    Coronets were cheaper, but not everyone wanted a taxicab-like interior......
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

Big Lebowski

Quote from: Chad L. Magee on February 07, 2006, 09:38:36 PM
Well, I think I can step up to the plate to answer this one.  The 1968 Chargers were offered as /6 cars, but not widely advertised as such.  Why would you order one, welll....  If you wanted good MPG, dependability (remember /6s are tough to destroy), cheap insurance, a car with good style but low on HP *(think kids and grandma cars)*, and the occational racer who wanted the cheapest body he could get his hands on so that he can modify the car the way he wanted to.....  GG white books are quite wrong on the 1968 /6 Charger production numbers on the manual cars (in particular).  Believe it or not, the 1968 /6 Charger was the most common year of /6 Chargers for many years onward.  You typically find many more 68s than 69s, and 70s are very rare, and I don't know on the 71s (I've yet to see one).    Coronets were cheaper, but not everyone wanted a taxicab-like interior......

That's a heavy car for a /6, anyway nobody mentioned a '70 Hemi Charger SE w/ a sunroof, triple black? It was in a Mopar mag a few years back, I thought it was a 1 of 1?
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

Chad L. Magee

Big Lebowski-  I have a suprise for you.  The Triple Black RT/SE that you are mentioning has had the orginal colors changed to the black (it was in a HEMI magizine back in the 90s and they mentioned the color change then if I remember right).  It is still rare none the less.  So is the only 500 SE /6 1970 Charger ever built.....
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

Ghoste

The slant six might seem like a small engine for a heavy car but think of how many pickups it came in.  The long stroke made for a good amount of torque from a small package.  Much less than even a 318 but still plenty to move a Charger around.

69_500

The Black HEMI RT/SE sunroof Charger i believe was origionally red. If I'm not mistaken it isn't that far away from where I live now, unless it has changed hands recently.

How about a panther pink 225/6 1970 Charger with tan interior? I know somewhere in my stack of useless crap as my wife calls it I have info on that car. I'll find it, and report it to the 70 registry when I locate it.

ITSA426

If you just have no options would that count as rare in a Charger?

41husk

as said before the 72 rallye was not suppossed to have 440/6 installed but according to GG there were a limited # produced I will try to find exact #s but that would be both rare and desirable.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

41husk

according to one book I have, Govier says there is documentation on 2 72 rallye Chargers built with a 440/6 but there may be more out there.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Big Lebowski

Quote from: 41husk on February 09, 2006, 08:00:07 AM
according to one book I have, Govier says there is documentation on 2 72 rallye Chargers built with a 440/6 but there may be more out there.

Sadly, a '67 383 2 bbl. had more balls than the '72 440 Six-pack Charger. Weird  ???
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

Badbob

Not true, the HP ratings were taken in different ways.

Big Lebowski

Quote from: Badbob on February 10, 2006, 01:52:43 AM
Not true, the HP ratings were taken in different ways.

Either way, the book said 285 HP for the '72 440-6, and the '67 383 2bbl showed 325 HP. The lack of compression was the culprit, droping from 10.5-1 to 8.2-1. 

Ghoste

Line them up in two identical cars and I'm putting my money on the 440. :icon_smile_big: