News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

383 build questions??

Started by SHARP68, October 27, 2012, 01:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHARP68

Going to be talking to my machinist next week & get this figured out..hopefully I can trade up the stock pistons & get what I need then go from there as far as machine work.  Thank you all again for the awesome input I have received I am learning a lot along the way :cheers:

willard

Probably nobody wants these LoPo 366NP pistons... I have 8 such door stops :)
When changing pistons double check the bores!!! I went from 366NP (0.030 over) to KB400 also 30 over and get blowby and oil consumption and power down... I hade to ONCE AGAIN dissassembly the block, bore to 0.040 and buy ANOTHER set of KB400, now 0.040 over...

If you want 8 ea 0.030 over KB400 with 500 miles on them, I have them in my garage. But I'm in Poland so shipping's not cheap  :smilielol:

JB400

My advice is to let the machine shop advise you on ordering your pistons.  Drop off your block, then order your pistons. :Twocents:

randy73

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on November 05, 2012, 09:09:17 AM
My advice is to let the machine shop advise you on ordering your pistons.  Drop off your block, then order your pistons. :Twocents:

+1

Seen many many people bitch all the time about buying a piston, cam,etc.. somebody recommended and then find out it did not work for their setup.

SHARP68

The machine shop is going to be able to trade up the unused stock pistons for what I need..I should be where I need to be now & back on track for my build..

firefighter3931

Look at Mancini for a set of Diamond forged pistons....about $200 more than a SpeedPro slug but it will be lighter and should have a better compression height. I recommended these to TuffCat for his 383 build  :2thumbs:

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/manciniracing6.html

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

willard

I'm afraid with open chamber heads or stealths theor pistons gonna suck as they advertise tje CR using 72cc chambers:

"Compression based on 72cc cylinder heads, Contact Mancini Racing for additional information."

so custom height is needed anyway.

firefighter3931

Quote from: willard on November 10, 2012, 12:57:40 PM
I'm afraid with open chamber heads or stealths theor pistons gonna suck as they advertise tje CR using 72cc chambers:

"Compression based on 72cc cylinder heads, Contact Mancini Racing for additional information."

so custom height is needed anyway.

Any flat top piston with a 383 is not going to be ideal. Even a zero deck flat top with valve reliefs will yield low static numbers unless you reduce the chamber volume on the cylinder head.  :yesnod:

You could ask Diamond to build a small dome into the 383 piston to increse the static compression. Diamond does make such a piston for the 440....it's advertised as a race piston for the Edelbrock RPM....comp is 13:1 

By my calculations ; using an 84cc chamber, zero deck piston, .040 head gasket you would need a 10cc Dome to achieve 10.5:1 static compression.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

BSB67

Quote from: SHARP68 on November 10, 2012, 03:13:12 AM
The machine shop is going to be able to trade up the unused stock pistons for what I need..I should be where I need to be now & back on track for my build..

Be specific.  What are they going to trade-up to?  Again, there is no good choice.  Some are just worse than others.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

SHARP68

I am in the process of working with the machine shop to correct this..they are being cool so far as long as it had been 3 years almost..I am not rich so they actually suggested the kb400s & milling the heads to get where I needed to be..diamonds we be great but not in my budget..I will make it work in the end hopefully!

SHARP68

I agree there is not very good choices..just have to make due with what we have.  383 is a bum motor by most but I know if you work it right it can be a great reliable street motor.  I am hopefully getting there & again thank you to everyone's input!

Supercharged Riot

Im running into issues with finding a good set of pistons as well
Not a lot of support for the 383 compared to the 440

JB400

Try finding a set for a 400.  My dad waited 5 years for the right ones

Supercharged Riot

Was he building a non stroker 400 Engine?

JB400

he was building a stroker.  This was in the 90's.