News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Project charger...WIW

Started by marshallfry01, November 06, 2012, 01:43:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JB400

Couldn't they all be technically called an SE now even though they don't have the trim package? :2thumbs:

Ghoste

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on November 06, 2012, 12:35:26 PM
You did say it started as an SE, it was reasonable to assume there was more SE there than you actually had.  :lol:

Nope, all my cars are for the people that the first time they see the before pics, they comment like: "WHY?", or this one is my favorite....
"Ok, I see your parts car, where's the General lee at?" :rofl:
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

JB400

I was implying more on the Special than I was the Edition

Dino

Quote from: Ghoste on November 06, 2012, 12:35:26 PM
You did say it started as an SE, it was reasonable to assume there was more SE there than you actually had.  :lol:

Well, reading the list of how he found it, it was special alright!  

I have to admit, I've done cars like that and it's extremely gratifying to make it a runner again so I understand where he''s coming from.

One thing though Cooter, and I may have told you this before, people like you and I thrive on building these cars with our own two hands and making it to our specifications.  However, most people out there do not have the skill, time, funds or all of the above to do so.  A ton of people I've met in the past gave me their car to restore because they wanted the finished project, they wouldn't even touch it in its unrestored state and they couldn't care less about what needs to be done to it, just do it.  

I used to say the same things you do but now that I'm no longer working with cars and going back to school, I pick my projects and they need to be small.  I, not only, no longer have time for big projects, I also don't want to do them anymore.  

Sure, I'd love to restore my own car some day but I better not because that will likely be the end of that car ever running again.   :icon_smile_big:

I respect what you do, I really do, but not everyone has that drive to do jobs like that.  It doesn't make them any less worthy of owning a Charger either not does it make you any better because you did the work yourself.  

I work with a surgeon who would love to have my car but he could never work on it.  It's just not possible.  He still deserves one though.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Cooter

Quote from: Dino on November 06, 2012, 12:43:02 PM

I have to admit, I've done cars like that and it's extremely gratifying to make it a runner again so I understand where he''s coming from.

I used to say the same things you do but now that I'm no longer working with cars and going back to school, I pick my projects and they need to be small.  I, not only, no longer have time for big projects, I also don't want to do them anymore. Neither do I, but If I want it, I have to...Too many have this idea getting into this thing we call a Hobby and find out REAL quick, their sh*t ends up in the "For sale" section...Again, some HAVE to learn to do bodywork etc. and some simply refuse to even learn...I call BS on that.

Sure, I'd love to restore my own car some day but I better not because that will likely be the end of that car ever running again.   :icon_smile_big:

I respect what you do, I really do, but not everyone has that drive to do jobs like that.  It doesn't make them any less worthy of owning a Charger either not does it make you any better because you did the work yourself.  Never said they were "Less worthy", I just have nothing in common with a "Check writer" that clearly has the time/money/to learn how to do his/her own work, yet finds it "Less rewarding" than opening up that Xmas present at the end of a 2 year wait. It was said on here i read somewhere were one "Didn't want to spend his/her life restoring cars. Life's too short for that", or something like that...Some of us have to, and come trophy day at the car show whatever, you are always gonna be hated for the simple fact you haven't paid your dues taking home that "Best in show" trophy as you didn't build it. This is the way it is, I'm just sayin'...

I work with a surgeon who would love to have my car but he could never work on it.  It's just not possible.  He still deserves one though.I wonder how he'd feel if I walked into the OR making the same money he was after 5 years of med school? Just LEAP FROGGED past him and all the "Dues" he had to pay to get there. THAT'S how these types look to me. Only my Opinion.

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

1974dodgecharger

In the end he who has money will buy what he wants and do what he wants and not complain.

Yeah its rare for 20k you find a rust free, but you know they are out there and go up a little more (save up a little more) the 25k is even more enticing and you start to see no rust in that price range.  Go up to the 30k and you have a really nice runner that literally needs nothing.

What the buyer is willing is a different story theres alway a clown out there who thinks his rust bucket is worth 30k and then there is the schmoe who thinks that rust bucket is worth 30k and buy its. Those two are a match made in a heaven, but soon to realize the buyer is now in hell after he takes it home

In the end do what makes you happy.....

Quote from: Cooter on November 06, 2012, 12:15:04 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on November 06, 2012, 12:09:30 PM
That GL in our building began as an SE.  :RantExplode: :flame:

So did mine...

Bottom line is, Everybody seems to think rust free cars are out there. I got news. Guess what? If they are, they are on EvilBay, and if this thing on Evil-Bay might be worth $7K as is, then what makes you think you aren't gonna pay over $20K for a rust free version? They are going up on Evil-bay too for top dollar as too many are into Instant gratification today. Everybody seems to think they "Can't" do this, or "Can't" do that..I don't buy it, if you HAVE TO DO IT YOURSELF, you'd be surprized at what you actually can learn to do. Then, you won't be looking for the "Perfect" car for YEARS, when you coulda already restored this one in that time.

Sure, who wouldn't want a "Scuff and shoot" car where all you have to do is the fun stuff. They are not Any Cheaper or better. You either spend $600.00 on a rough car and dump $30K in it, or you will spend $20K on a car that you will have to spend another $10K on to make it yours.  NOBODY isd gonna sell you a '68-'70 Charger So cheap simply because you refuse to take some classes on bodywork and have to pay somebody. I didn't come out the womb knowing how to do bodywork/paint/interior/engine/trans/rearend/ work...

The days of buying one of these cars for peanuts and just driving them with little to no bodywork, engine, trans,rearend, glass, etc. are long gone.
Good luck, but I WISH all my cars i get were in half as good a condition. Just get a clear idea of how you want to restore it. Don't get to hung up in some of the high end restos on this site. It'll have you spending WAYYYY more than you originally intended. Just put it back together the way YOU want it and cruise it.

Finn

That's a 7k car all day in Cali, eBay or not. If the economy was better it'd probably hit 10k.
I have to agree with previous posters; some of the old timers on here say its too much and they would only pay 3 or find one with less rust, but I have yet to see those come up as frequent as they make it sound they do. Once in a blue moon someone lucks out (skip comes to mind) but you'd be waiting years to find a similar deal.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Finn on November 06, 2012, 10:12:26 PM
That's a 7k car all day in Cali, eBay or not. If the economy was better it'd probably hit 10k.
I have to agree with previous posters; some of the old timers on here say its much and they would ony pay 3 or find one with less rust, but I have yet to see those come up as frequent as they make it sound they do. Once in a blue moon someone lucks out (skip comes to mind) but you'd be waiting years to find a similar deal.

dadscharger00 also comes to mind believe it or not alot of forum members have got good catches from each other helping out. You wont be waiting years as long as you got help from forum members. Some folks who have found their chargers now dont post as much since they are now enjoying them.

What people ask for and what they get are two different things. One thing forum members dont like to disclose is how much they bought their vehicles are (out of embarrasment or are flippers) so those 3k to 5k chargers you are talking about are out there. Its just that people dont talk about them.

For example someone posts a rust bucket on forum for 10k, but in a PM someone offers 4k for it. The guy saids he will think about it and a month passes by and he takes the 4k deal. So each gets a deal and gues what they dont talk about it until maybe a eyar later.

Finn

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on November 07, 2012, 12:36:49 AM
Quote from: Finn on November 06, 2012, 10:12:26 PM
I have to agree with previous posters; some of the old timers on here say its much and they would ony pay 3 or find one with less rust, but I have yet to see those come up as frequent as they make it sound they do. Once in a blue moon someone lucks out (skip comes to mind) but you'd be waiting years to find a similar deal.

One thing forum members dont like to disclose is how much they bought their vehicles are (out of embarrasment or are flippers) so those 3k to 5k chargers you are talking about are out there. Its just that people dont talk about them.
For example someone posts a rust bucket on forum for 10k, but in a PM someone offers 4k for it. The guy saids he will think about it and a month passes by and he takes the 4k deal. So each gets a deal and gues what they dont talk about it until maybe a eyar later.

That is true, didn't think of that. Thanks. :cheers:

Speaking from my personal experience, in reality, that charger is probably worth no more than 4k but like you said, the listed price rarely reflects the true value so when one does list for the true value it is a rare occurrence. After reading your post, I realized I was basing my claim off the fact that Ill see a charger like the one above list for 7k and "sell", but I was assuming it truly sold for what they were asking.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

marshallfry01

Well the auction just ended on the car. $8,600 seemed like a really good price, especially being an ebay deal.
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Ghoste on November 06, 2012, 07:21:43 AM
The smallblock hurts it but it is an SE so I would restored it would hit the high side of your estimate.  You would still be uspide down in the deal so it will have to be restored as a labor of love. (which they all should be anyway)

My thoughts exactly........ To many people got used to these things being an investment. Its a hobby. or an addiction, but not always an investment.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Back N Black

Quote from: Cooter on November 06, 2012, 12:58:34 PM
Quote from: Dino on November 06, 2012, 12:43:02 PM

I used to say the same things you do but now that I'm no longer working with cars and going back to school, I pick my projects and they need to be small.  I, not only, no longer have time for big projects, I also don't want to do them anymore. Neither do I, but If I want it, I have to...Too many have this idea getting into this thing we call a Hobby and find out REAL quick, their sh*t ends up in the "For sale" section...Again, some HAVE to learn to do bodywork etc. and some simply refuse to even learn...I call BS on that.

I respect what you do, I really do, but not everyone has that drive to do jobs like that.  It doesn't make them any less worthy of owning a Charger either not does it make you any better because you did the work yourself.  Never said they were "Less worthy", I just have nothing in common with a "Check writer" that clearly has the time/money/to learn how to do his/her own work, yet finds it "Less rewarding" than opening up that Xmas present at the end of a 2 year wait. It was said on here i read somewhere were one "Didn't want to spend his/her life restoring cars. Life's too short for that", or something like that...Some of us have to, and come trophy day at the car show whatever, you are always gonna be hated for the simple fact you haven't paid your dues taking home that "Best in show" trophy as you didn't build it. This is the way it is, I'm just sayin'...

I work with a surgeon who would love to have my car but he could never work on it.  It's just not possible.  He still deserves one though.I wonder how he'd feel if I walked into the OR making the same money he was after 5 years of med school? Just LEAP FROGGED past him and all the "Dues" he had to pay to get there. THAT'S how these types look to me. Only my Opinion.

Seriously, if someone pulled up next to you at a car show in a  General Lee, you would not have anything in common because he was a "Check writer". How about the love for the show, can you not talk about that big jump? Daisey ass?  :shruggy:

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

It sold for what it was probably worth... Maybe a little more.... :Twocents:

greenpigs

I think it was a good price for a mostly complete car without THAT much rust. :Twocents:
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

1974dodgecharger

Im sure the buyer is a good customer and will come through, especially on ebay where all the buyers buy what they win  ::)