News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Sad. Who lost their Charger's in hurricane sandy?

Started by 1BAD68, November 11, 2012, 03:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billfury

I'll tell you what happened. Living in Staten Island NY we are thick headed and really don't listen to anyone. After the last hurricane when everyone listened & evacuated, the storm hardly did any damage. I remember people being pissed off that they left there homes. There was more damage from scumbags braking into houses then the storm itself. So when this hurricane came, it was taken a little too lightly. Not a good excuse but the truth. I wouldn't call them stupid but do see why you do. There is always a reason for someone decision whether you think it's stupid or not.

Mytur Binsdirti

What a choice; leave your house & it'll get looted or stay and risk getting killed by mother nature. Time to move inland to higher ground and into a safer neighborhood.

Ghoste

Hard to judge unless you live in the thick of it.  Every area is going to have its unique natural challenges I think, I'm sure there are people in New York who cannot fathom why someone would live in Twister Alley and there are people who live in San Francisco who think its insane to live in a place where alligators reside on golf courses.

Dino

It's a sad sight, I've lost one in a fire a long time ago and it's not something you forget.  But in the grand scheme of things it is nothing.  Just a car.  People have lost their lives, families were torn apart.  No car, house or trinket on the mantle competes with that.  Sad yes, but time to move on and focus on what really matters.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

XS29LA47V21

:'(  I would cut the headliner out, pull seats-carpet, wiring and completely empty it........ and spend 4plus hours washing with fresh clean water in every spot and crevice, over and over again and commit to a new wiring harness followed by a space heated garage for days.... and be happy I still have my car. :Twocents: 

Some of the dents in one of my cars was from Hurricane Andrew "apparently"... :'(

JB400

Unfortunately, I think a lot of people have forgotten about the storm that hit NYC in the 30's.  Either that, or they have the notion of " It'll never happen again"  Well, here's the wake up call for those that didn't answer the phone when Katrina and Rita hit.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on November 12, 2012, 11:49:37 AM
Unfortunately, I think a lot of people have forgotten about the storm that hit NYC in the 30's. 

You remember that? Wow, you're old! 

JB400

History channel before the started the pickers and pawn star crap

Brock Lee

Quote from: XS29LA47V21 on November 12, 2012, 09:27:17 AM
:'(  I would cut the headliner out, pull seats-carpet, wiring and completely empty it........ and spend 4plus hours washing with fresh clean water in every spot and crevice, over and over again and commit to a new wiring harness followed by a space heated garage for days.... and be happy I still have my car. :Twocents: 

Some of the dents in one of my cars was from Hurricane Andrew "apparently"... :'(

The problem is the salt has already started oxidizing any exposed metal. That means all those inner areas that don't get hit with paint, every chip, every scratch, every screw hole that has even a microscopic amount of metal exposed, the rusting has begun. The only way to stop it is to gut the body, neutralize what has started and remove all the rust that has started. Easier said than done in those hard to reach areas, like in the subframes, and right crevices between panels. It pretty much needs to be dipped now. And the quicker the better.

Lord Warlock

Have to remember that the severity of a storm determines alot of what people think when a storm is coming.  A cat 1 hurricane like this one wouldn't have me running for the hills either, nor would it get me to jack up the cars to protect them from flood damage.  Here in Florida, we get storms alot more often than those that got hit by Sandy.  I live 14 feet above water level, hardly an elevation that would make me brave in a serious flood, but i've also weathered through 3 direct hits of hurricanes in the last 20 years, all of them a cat 3 or less,  the only time i attempted to evacuate was for andrew which was a cat 5, and in that instance we got stuck in traffic 10 miles from home and turned around and went back because we couldn't get out of the way soon enough, luckily it missed us directly and only downed trees.  I know my house can withstand 110mph winds with ease, its the 130 and up storms that make me want to leave. 75 to 80mph winds are just a little blow here. 

In any case, cars play little into the equation when its time to evacuate, life of the family itself and just the critical necessary items are what you grab when its time to leave town, you just hope that the cars survive with only a little rain or water, you can always clean them up afterwards, and as long as the car isn't submerged, it can be rebuilt later.  The lives of my family are far more important than a few possessions i own. 

I feel sorry for those impacted by the storm and those who lost their homes.  Maybe now they'll understand what we go through every year in our state.  The federal government does relatively little to get you back on your feet afterwards, and getting power back on after one comes through can sometimes take weeks, so its best to prepare in advance for possible storms.  We always maintain 30 gallons of fresh water, and usually stock up on gasoline in the week before the storm hits, getting at least enough gas to power the generator for 3 to 5 days, and have the propane tanks filled so we can cook on the grille or the camping stove when the power is knocked out.  Our worst hit in the last 20 years left us without power for 14 days, and my brother in south florida was out a month.  And we have power lines under the ground, not on power poles that would get knocked down every storm.   Good luck to all those affected, i hope they get power back to you sooner than later. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

kikgas01

Quote from: Brock Lee on November 12, 2012, 05:21:07 PM
Quote from: XS29LA47V21 on November 12, 2012, 09:27:17 AM

The problem is the salt has already started oxidizing any exposed metal. That means all those inner areas that don't get hit with paint, every chip, every scratch, every screw hole that has even a microscopic amount of metal exposed, the rusting has begun. The only way to stop it is to gut the body, neutralize what has started and remove all the rust that has started. Easier said than done in those hard to reach areas, like in the subframes, and right crevices between panels. It pretty much needs to be dipped now. And the quicker the better.
I am betting there was spots like that already if it was ever driven lol...

aussiemuscle

My brother bought a Valiant that had been in flood waters. i pulled the head off and found mud sitting on top of the pistons. cleaned it up, put it back together and it fired right up! good thing about a cheap vinyl interior is they clean up easy.

Nickrc3

QuoteOur worst hit in the last 20 years left us without power for 14 days, and my brother in south florida was out a month.

Yup, had this baby (my first car from 1976) alongside the house when Andrew hit in 92' -

No damage, however, lost the roof to the house, all contents and our two vehicles (trees, pavers, roof shingles and miscellaneous debris filled the interior). Six months without electrical power (utility pole w/transformer had penetrated the roof).

Regarding Sandy, family has a summer home in Gilford Park (west of Seaside Heights, N.J.). Luckily just trees down - one on the roof. My Thanksgiving week project...

Mike DC

I'm sure there were a ton of collector cars that did get moved to safety before the storm.  But a group of people that large is never going to do anything without a bunch of exceptions.