News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

eldelbrock top end kit for 383 UPDATED with DYNO results

Started by lasvegas69charg, September 07, 2012, 09:10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JB400

Well, that explains the 100 ponies difference.  Too bad just adding rockers doesn't bump it up that much.  The only question is, what are you going to do?  You spent the money on this engine, but it seems you were looking for the 400+ mark.  In my opinion, I'd stick this engine in, and use it to break your car in.  It'd let you find and fix all the little things, and still let you enjoy the car with better gas mileage.  Then you can save up and build a little hotter shortblock, then swap over the heads and intake and get you where you want it.  You never know, 300 hp might be enough for you.  Either way, have fun :2thumbs:

Brass

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on October 24, 2012, 05:17:45 PM
Well, that explains the 100 ponies difference.  Too bad just adding rockers doesn't bump it up that much.  The only question is, what are you going to do?  You spent the money on this engine, but it seems you were looking for the 400+ mark.  In my opinion, I'd stick this engine in, and use it to break your car in.  It'd let you find and fix all the little things, and still let you enjoy the car with better gas mileage.  Then you can save up and build a little hotter shortblock, then swap over the heads and intake and get you where you want it.  You never know, 300 hp might be enough for you.  Either way, have fun :2thumbs:

What better gas mileage?  Low compression engines are down on power AND mileage. 

JB400

Quote from: Brass on October 24, 2012, 05:42:25 PM
Well, that explains the 100 ponies difference.  Too bad just adding rockers doesn't bump it up that much.  The only question is, what are you going to do?  You spent the money on this engine, but it seems you were looking for the 400+ mark.  In my opinion, I'd stick this engine in, and use it to break your car in.  It'd let you find and fix all the little things, and still let you enjoy the car with better gas mileage.  Then you can save up and build a little hotter shortblock, then swap over the heads and intake and get you where you want it.  You never know, 300 hp might be enough for you.  Either way, have fun :2thumbs:

What better gas mileage?  Low compression engines are down on power AND mileage.  
Sorry about that.  What I meant to say was this engine would have lesser octane requirements.  For me personally, I'd still run premium

cdr

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on October 24, 2012, 05:47:06 PM
Quote from: Brass on October 24, 2012, 05:42:25 PM
Well, that explains the 100 ponies difference.  Too bad just adding rockers doesn't bump it up that much.  The only question is, what are you going to do?  You spent the money on this engine, but it seems you were looking for the 400+ mark.  In my opinion, I'd stick this engine in, and use it to break your car in.  It'd let you find and fix all the little things, and still let you enjoy the car with better gas mileage.  Then you can save up and build a little hotter shortblock, then swap over the heads and intake and get you where you want it.  You never know, 300 hp might be enough for you.  Either way, have fun :2thumbs:

What better gas mileage?  Low compression engines are down on power AND mileage.  
Sorry about that.  What I meant to say was this engine would have lesser octane requirements.  For me personally, I'd still run premium

more octane than the engine needs makes less power
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

lasvegas69charg

stroker400wedge...that is exactly what im going to do..after i install the adjustable rockers and dyno it one more time (maybe for that 10 more hp), she is going into the car.  my plan at a later time is to build a short block (stroked 383) and transfer everything over (heads,intake,carb,ign,headers). i kind of wanted to do that anyway and put the number matching block into storage.  i will let you guys know what it makes after the (stock) 1.5 ratio (per edelbrock) adj rockers are on.  
69 dodge charger 383/727/3.55 (my dad is the original owner-matching number) stroked to a 496😉

cdr

Quote from: lasvegas69charg on October 24, 2012, 06:54:51 PM
stroker400wedge...that is exactly what im going to do..after i install the adjustable rockers and dyno it one more time (maybe for that 10 more hp), she is going into the car.  my plan at a later time is to build a short block (stroked 383) and transfer everything over (heads,intake,carb,ign,headers). i kind of wanted to do that anyway and put the number matching block into storage.  i will let you guys know what it makes after the (stock) 1.5 ratio (per edelbrock) adj rockers are on.  
you need to bring the timing up :Twocents:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

lasvegas69charg

the only thing about bring timing up is in the summer time here in vegas when it hits 115 wont that cause detonation?  i told my tuner that i wanted a all-around tune so i really would have to adjust anything between seasons.  the only thing he said i might have to do is jet the carb down a size in the summer time. 
cdr...do you think it will make a difference if i bump it to 40?  i will have my tuner try it when it runs it with the new adj rockers.
69 dodge charger 383/727/3.55 (my dad is the original owner-matching number) stroked to a 496😉

Cooter

Ifn' it was me, and i was looking for more HP, all I'd need was about a 175 HP Shot of N20 every now and then.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

cdr

Quote from: lasvegas69charg on October 24, 2012, 07:18:48 PM
the only thing about bring timing up is in the summer time here in vegas when it hits 115 wont that cause detonation?  i told my tuner that i wanted a all-around tune so i really would have to adjust anything between seasons.  the only thing he said i might have to do is jet the carb down a size in the summer time.  
cdr...do you think it will make a difference if i bump it to 40?  i will have my tuner try it when it runs it with the new adj rockers.
with low compression detonation is not so much a problem,go to 38 & make a couple of pulls & see what it does,if it likes 38,go 40 & see if it likes that :Twocents:
i bet it likes it a lot ,but i have been wrong a time or two  :lol:  maybe 3  :lol:

Challenger340

Your power output is off the scale LOW for those kits....something is dramatically wrong ?

The problem with REALLY low static compression ratios, coupled with late Camshaft Intake Valve closing events, and Aluminum Heads too boot.....is that you just do not have enough incipient heat present to get decent Flamefront propagation, think of it as the "speed" to full burn and extracting "Peak" combustion pressures where they outa be on the Stroke.
I suspect that is the problem ?

Was the Camshaft degree'd during installation ? 105* ATDC would help.
Did you get any E.G.T. readings from your Dyno session ?
A/F ratios ?

You are going to have to try and get the burn hotter....throw Timing at it until it starts to wake up a bit ? Don't be scared of 40*/even 42* as long as it'll still crank over, you can always wire an Ignition cut for Cranking, then switch to fire.
Try 2 degree timing increments......start a run at 160* temp, do the backup run at 190* temp see if the 2nd is consistently higher ?
Forget the premium fuel, even try "regular" and see if you can actually get it pinging......at least even that "erratic" burn may heat things up a bit ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

lasvegas69charg

It sounds like I really need to bump the timing up. I will give it a try tomorrow in 2* increments. Thanks for all of your input. I did not degree the cam.

lasvegas69charg

well we gave her more timing and she didn't like it. It seemed that 36 deg was the sweet spot. After talking with edelbrock there compression ratio was 10 to 1 on adj rockers. After figuring my compression ratio it came to 8.25 to 1. I installed adj rockers from 440 source and gain a little torque. Due  to the low compression and 24 year old rings  I got 340 ft-lbs torque at 4300 rpm and 300 HP at 5500 rpm.  I guess not bad for a short block 24 years old. Now I'm in the process of building a stroker 496 from a 383 short block and switching the top end over.

cdr