News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Engine Break in Number two

Started by 71green go, March 09, 2014, 08:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71green go

Well...my first engine breakin didn't go so well....Comp cam Chinese crap lifters collapsed.....so
I bought Johnson lifters and reassembled everything again....but Had trouble setting the Adjustable rockers before start up .....so
I Bought a factory rocker arm assembly and finally got all put together today after a year of giving up lol

Well here is the video of the break in of the new lifters today...idle set at 2000 rpm for about 20 mins...

Only issue was a Bad rad cap that kept leaking water...temp stayed low just a bad cap...ended up dripping on fan and spraying every where but didn't want to stop the break in...
Also had a squeaky belt on power steering...and a leak in exhaust at header....other than that perfect!...much better than first attempts and man did it feel responsive afterwards...still need to tweak carb and set timing...
but happy happy happy  

here it is breaking in

http://youtu.be/xCLQAiyRnw4

moparsr2fast

Nice, clean setup Steve!   :2thumbs:

I had heard comp was having trouble with the lifters. Glad you got it all straightened out.
Bob

70 Charger 500
     2001 Ram 2500 Sport
        2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee
  2006 Dodge Charger Daytona

71green go

Thanks Bob...I am now a little more confident that I will make mopar fest this year!.....would be a shame not to considering I live 20 mins away!

firefighter3931

Sounds great Steve....no lifter tick ! I bet that's a big relief :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Bob

Great going Steve :2thumbs: That beast sounds awesome :2thumbs:

71green go

Quote from: Bob on March 10, 2014, 06:32:19 PM
Great going Steve :2thumbs: That beast sounds awesome :2thumbs:

Thanks Bob!!......Hey I MAY be making a run down to the spring Carlisle event with two friends....they are not much into Mopar...yes still friends lol

Challenger340

Quote from: 71green go on March 09, 2014, 08:20:58 PM
Well...my first engine breakin didn't go so well....Comp cam Chinese crap lifters collapsed.....so
I bought Johnson lifters and reassembled everything again....but Had trouble setting the Adjustable rockers before start up .....so
I Bought a factory rocker arm assembly and finally got all put together today after a year of giving up lol

Well here is the video of the break in of the new lifters today...idle set at 2000 rpm for about 20 mins...

Only issue was a Bad rad cap that kept leaking water...temp stayed low just a bad cap...ended up dripping on fan and spraying every where but didn't want to stop the break in...
Also had a squeaky belt on power steering...and a leak in exhaust at header....other than that perfect!...much better than first attempts and man did it feel responsive afterwards...still need to tweak carb and set timing...
but happy happy happy  

here it is breaking in

http://youtu.be/xCLQAiyRnw4

Great that things worked out well this time for you, Engine sounds good too !

Those Crap Lifters were not just coming in Comp Boxes only... for awhile there about a year + ago, they were being sold in EVERYBODY's boxes including Lunati, Engle... you name it.
I found them showing up all over, and personally chased lots of problems with them.

I still have a few out in the Shop brand new.... maybe I should post up some photos of how to recognize the Xhiang Zhou Lifter Bodies visually if any are still out there ?
They do work sometimes... a few guys I know ran them with no problems... but "sometimes" being the keyword to an extremely high "DO NOT WORK" percentages for many others.
Garbage IN = Garbage OUT
Only wimps wear Bowties !

71green go

Here is my old thread about the Lifters...good info here thanks for your help and comments
steve

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,103437.0.html

here is the Other more expensive Johnson made in America lifters...lifetime warranty!

http://www.wathomas.com/Home.aspx