News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I forgot what kind of oil I put in my RV-2 compressor and I need a little more

Started by WH23G3G, April 04, 2015, 08:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

So when I installed the RV-2 on my 73 Charger I put in an 8oz bottle of a/c oil and maybe 6oz got in the compressor. I spilled the rest. Now it will be even harder to get oil into the fill hole. But anyway I can't remember if I put in PAG 46,100,150 or Ester oil. What should I put in now that I don't remember what I originally put in? The whole system was refurbished while I had the engine out a few years ago only thing kept original was the epr valve. I know you're suppose to use PAG with new 134a systems and Ester with conversion systems. But I was doing a whole entire system redo so I think I may have put in PAG but can't be sure. I think I'll be able to get this Charger running pretty good this summer as I've found a new mechanic that knows what he's doing and it sure would be nice to have a/c too.

Pete in NH

Hi,

Well, I'm sure you've thought of this and don't really want to do it but, I would take the compressor off the car and dump out the oil that is in there. Since you don't know what is in there I wouldn't take a chance in mixing oil types.

By the way in a totally empty system the RV-2 takes 8 to 10 oz of oil. So, 6 oz is really short on oil. If that
PAG has been in there several years and exposed to open air it has likely absorbed quite a bit of moisture so, dumping it would be a good thing to do.