News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

help trunk latch

Started by poppa, November 12, 2010, 08:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poppa

Just got my trunk latch back from dipping (stripped). Now it's missing a piece. Is this piece removable and it's maybe just sitting in the bottom of the tank?? Or is it something that maybe got eaten up? Can I just get the missing piece??? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
God must love stupid people....he made a sh**load of 'em....

Matco tools...guaranteed for a lifetime. Just not a human lifetime.

A383Wing

ain't that where the "slot" is suppose to be for the lock rod? I didn't think it was supposed to come out?

poppa

A383Wing

Quote from: poppa on November 12, 2010, 10:12:59 PM
Yep, I think it "melted".

if that's the case..you need another latch...I'll look, but I didn't think those were "meltable"...I thought they were metal like the rest of the latch....at least on my first gen cars anyway

poppa

Great....anybody got a decent one they want to part with?

gtx6970

The center is die-cast and will melt in most dipping tank solutions. A quality dipper should know that

used latches are easy to find

poppa

Already have a replacement. Now I know. Thanks very much for the replies.

bull

Quote from: gtx6970 on November 13, 2010, 09:39:51 AM
The center is die-cast and will melt in most dipping tank solutions. A quality dipper should know that

Assuming you don't get it dipped will it survive a plating process, such as clear zinc or elecroless nickel?

Fred

That's so interesting. I'm sure it explains what happened to my Pontiac door handles that I took in to have rechromed. I didn't hear back from the guy in ages so I went to see him and he said that he can't find them. This went on for a while until I'd had enough so he offered to pay me for them. He kept saying he can't find them but I'm guessing they melted away and he didn't have the guts to tell me.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

bull

Quote from: Fred on September 07, 2012, 10:54:04 PM
That's so interesting. I'm sure it explains what happened to my Pontiac door handles that I took in to have rechromed. I didn't hear back from the guy in ages so I went to see him and he said that he can't find them. This went on for a while until I'd had enough so he offered to pay me for them. He kept saying he can't find them but I'm guessing they melted away and he didn't have the guts to tell me.

Well, if they melted away we wasn't lying. Solid parts are hard to find once they've been liquified. ;D

Fred

Quote from: bull on September 07, 2012, 11:18:18 PM
Quote from: Fred on September 07, 2012, 10:54:04 PM

Well, if they melted away we wasn't lying. Solid parts are hard to find once they've been liquified. ;D

:smilielol: :smilielol:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

bill440rt

Quote from: bull on September 07, 2012, 10:41:05 PM
Quote from: gtx6970 on November 13, 2010, 09:39:51 AM

Assuming you don't get it dipped will it survive a plating process, such as clear zinc or elecroless nickel?

I did mine at home using on of those plating kits that requires heat. Did it in a stainless pan on the BBQ grille. No melting of anything.
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bull

Ghoste

I'd say timely news but I see the thread originally started two years ago. :lol:

bull

Quote from: Ghoste on September 10, 2012, 09:28:21 PM
I'd say timely news but I see the thread originally started two years ago. :lol:

If we wait long enough/build slow enough, all this stuff will eventually be available. That's what I'm doing (apparently).