News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Turn signal switch operation

Started by Ghoste, August 13, 2012, 12:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Why would my turn signal be a lot harder to apply for one direction moreso over the other?

Dino

Quote from: Ghoste on August 13, 2012, 12:27:52 PM
Why would my turn signal be a lot harder to apply for one direction moreso over the other?

Because the contact on one side is likely wearing out faster than the other.  Take more turns the other way and it'll level out again.   :lol:

My switch went bad fast and I have to fiddle with it to have both brake lights come on so I bought the whole thing new, switch and cam.  Haven't installed it yet though but if you need a new one it's $50 from megaparts.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Ghoste

It has been that way since I put it in.  Its not exactly new anymore but it was a new one from the package 5 years ago and it never seemed to "wear in" on the one side like I once thought it might.

Dino

I'm leaving for Europe shortly but will be back a week from today.  At that time I'll install mine and will let you know if I have that issue as well or not.

Ghoste

Sure, I'd appreciate that.  The operation of it has been fine but it's still one of those things that makes me wonder why.

twenty mike mike

I just installed one from Mega Parts in my '69 and it works the same both ways.

b5blue

Your arm is weaker in that direction. I suggest and rigorous scheduled session of 12 oz. curls with your left arm!  :lol:   

Ghoste

Dino

After my Euro trip I didn't have the stamina to do much to the car.  I did take a quick look under the steering column to see if I could find the plug to disconnect the old switch and connect the new but I can't.  Is it hidden behind the instrument panel? 

b5blue

Follow brake light switch wire back to it.  :scratchchin:

Dino

Quote from: b5blue on August 27, 2012, 03:57:19 PM
Follow brake light switch wire back to it.  :scratchchin:

Ah of course, that sucker's behind the kickpanel isn't it!

Thanks blue

Dino

Alright, I got this thing installed over the weekend.  The connector was not behind the kick panel, that's another one!  It's right under the steering column and easiest to reach if you remove the metal plate under the column. 

It's amazing how much more fun it is to drive when you don't have to worry about the turn signals or brake light crapping out.  The new switch works perfect, same resistance both ways.  It's like having a new car.   :2thumbs:

Ghoste

:cheers:  I agree, when you don't have to worry about something crapping out there is no better feeling than driving these things!