News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dana 60 measurement question

Started by troy.70R/T, August 25, 2012, 11:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troy.70R/T

I am going to go look at a Dana 60 this weekend and I was thinking about narrowing it for my 68 Charger. However I have been read that some Dana 60s that came in vans might not work because of the location of the center section. I might actually need to remove the whole tube from one side and I don't want to do this. Does anyone have a measurement of a stock Dana 60 (for a 70 B-Body)from the center of the center section to the backside of the brake plate? Thanks

troy.70R/T

Also one of the rear ends I am looking at supposedly came out of a 66 Charger. the guy says that the carrier will only accept 4.56 to7.27 Gears. I take it that this would be an after market carrier? it currently has 4.56 Gears any thoughts on how I would be able to tell if it is an after market carrier?

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

John_Kunkel

The above chart should be banned from the internet, it is full of errors. It lists all '62-'70 B-bodies as being the same width when there are actually 4 different widths in those years.

By sheer luck it does show the correct housing width for the '70 B-body (it's actually 54 15/16")

The Dana 60 carrier is ratio specific with the break coming at 4.56...if you want to use 3.54 or 4.10 gears you'll need a different carier.

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

troy.70R/T

ok Thanks I will try to find the correct chart.

Chryco Psycho

the van diffs were really offset to the right side meaning you only have to swap one tube to make them work & they seem to be easy to find , swapping the tubes is not a big deal , if the shop can shorten the husing & install car ends properly swapping a single tube should be no issue

John_Kunkel

The Dana 60 housing width and overall width is the same as the 8 3/4" for the same body. The correct dimensions are on the Moparts board tech archive:

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/axle/16.html

troy.70R/T

thanks for the link John. well not sure yet if a van one will work. I think I will only be narrowing it about 2 to 4 inches over all. I want some ten inch rims to fit under it without sticking out to much. I plan to do the narrowing myself.

troy.70R/T

so does anyone know if I find a DAna 60 with a 35 spline axle will I be able to get an 35 spline axle made for it in the 4-1/2 inch bolt pattern or will I have to change the side gears and get a 30 spline axle?

John_Kunkel

No problem getting 35-spline axles for the Dana 60...or 40-spline for that matter.

troy.70R/T

Cooter

Some say 35, some say 40....Are you planning on scraping the rear bumper off the line??
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

troy.70R/T

maybe some day. Just really planning on have one part of the car that I will not have any problems with. I plan to have the car to the floor and roasting the tires on a regular basis. Does a Dana 60 have 10 Bolts on the cover and the 9-1/4 has 12 bolts? Is this correct?

cdr

dana 60

cdr

9.25 mopar

troy.70R/T